Bupa Travel Insurance
Compare Bupa Travel Insurance policies
The table below displays a snapshot of Bupa’s policies on Canstar’s database, sorted by Star Rating (highest to lowest). Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a couple travelling to the USA aged under 70.
What types of travel insurance does Bupa Travel Insurance offer?
Bupa offers both domestic and international travel insurance, with specialised policies for annual travellers, seniors, cruisers and skiers. It has four main international policies available including Economy, Standard, Super and Super Plus, to suit a wide range of budgets.
If you’re unsure as to which kind of travel insurance is most appropriate for you, or would like to better understand the differences between the different types of cover, check out our comprehensive guide on travel insurance.
What does Bupa’s international travel insurance cover?
Bupa’s Top International Comprehensive policy will cover you for:
- Medical cover: Bupa Super Plus has unlimited medical and hospital cover, with a $1,000 limit for overseas dental. You must provide a medical practitioner’s report confirming you’re unfit to travel.
- Loss/theft of personal items: Bupa also covers the loss or theft of personal items, including trip delays or damage. It will pay up to $12,000 for various different items such as electronic equipment.
- Travel delays/cancellation: Bupa does cover cancellation or travel delays depending on the level of cover chosen. The Super Plus policy has unlimited additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
- Rental car excess: If, as a result of an unexpected event, the rental vehicle you have hired is stolen or damaged during your journey, Bupa Comprehensive will reimburse you for any non-refundable excess payable to the rental vehicle company of up to $3,000.
- 24/7 assistance: Bupa Travel’s emergency worldwide assistance team is available 24 hours a day via phone.
- Lost or stolen documents: Bupa will cover the cost involved in replacing important documents that have been lost or stolen.
Please note that exclusions may apply. For example, your medical cover may not pay claims for medical or dental treatment received in Australia, and it will only cover losses related pregnancy up to and including the twentieth week. Another example of an exclusion is not being covered for any delays caused by a natural disaster occurring before the start date of your insurance.
For more details about what is and isn’t covered, check out the Product Disclosure Statement on Bupa’s website.
Yes, Bupa’s comprehensive policy has unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses under the following circumstances:
- You need medical assistance for an unexpected illness
- You’re seriously injured in an accident
- You need to be evacuated for an unexpected injury
As always, various conditions and exclusions will apply. It’s highly unlikely that you will be covered if the injury you suffer is classified as a ‘pre-existing condition’, for example.
For more information on whether you’re covered or not, read Bupa Travel Insurance’s Product Disclosure Statement.
Yes, Bupa will cover you up to a certain amount for replacing or reimbursing luggage and personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged while travelling.
Under Bupa’s comprehensive policy, up to $12,000 worth of your belongings will be covered. Bupa will also cover:
- The cost of essential medication if its lost or destroyed
- Up to $1,000 per item for essential items
- $4,000 per item for laptops, tablets, cameras, etc.
Again, there are exclusions that come with Bupa Travel Insurance’s policies. For personal items and jewellery, you must specify them before applying, and all items must be approved by Bupa; otherwise they will not be covered. Ensure you check the PDS to find out more about what items and luggage are and aren’t covered.
If you’re not sure what to do when your luggage goes missing, check out our guide on travel mishaps and how to avoid them.
Yes, Bupa Travel Insurance will cover up to a certain amount for lost deposits and cancellation fees for pre-paid travel arrangements due to unforeseen circumstances outside the traveller’s control on a policy:
- Depending on the policy you decide to take out, you can receive cover if your journey was cancelled or delayed, with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
Read the Product Disclosure Statement for more information on the various exclusions that may apply.
You can purchase a Bupa Travel Insurance policy by first comparing your options with Canstar and then generating a quote online. All you need to list is your personal details (age, length of trip, address, etc.), your pre-existing conditions and your choice of cover:
You can lodge a claim with Bupa by calling its claims line on 13 24 80 and following the prompts. Make sure you have the following documents (and details) ready:
- Policy number
- Personal details
- Supporting documentation (flight details, itinerary, receipts, etc.)
- Bank account details
Bupa also has an emergency 24/7 assistance line. For emergencies within Australia, call (02) 8895 0694. For emergencies overseas, call +612 8895 0694.
Bupa was founded in the UK, and it established itself in the 1930s in Australia to help people cover the cost of their hospital treatment. It was formed by three main health providers: HBA, MBF and Mutual Community. Today, Bupa has branched out into travel insurance, pet insurance, car insurance, home insurance, and is present in over 190 countries.
We highly recommend the live well food series on Bupa Australia’s YouTube channel. Bupa also asks the Australian public many important health questions such as “How do you get a baby to sleep?” and “Do you find it hard to talk about cancer?”
Source: Bupa Australia
Bupa also works to protect our environment. Since 2014, Bupa has invested more than $17 million in renewable energy, technical energy upgrades and employee engagement projects towards its environmental sustainability goals. Bupa was recognised as the 2015 ABA100 Winner in the Australian Business Awards (ABA) for Sustainability for its carbon reduction measures.
Bupa International - Super Plus
USA2017 Star Ratings Report