GIO Travel Insurance
Compare GIO Travel Insurance policies
The table below displays a snapshot of GIO’s travel insurance policies on Canstar’s database, sorted by Star Rating (highest to lowest). Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a couple travelling to the USA aged under 70.
What types of travel insurance does GIO Travel Insurance offer?
GIO Travel Insurance offers both domestic and international travel insurance, with specialised policies for annual travellers, seniors, cruisers and skiers. It offers two main types of cover – single or family.
If you’re unsure as to which kind of travel insurance is most appropriate for you, or would like to better understand the differences between the different types of cover, check out our comprehensive guide on travel insurance.
What does GIO Travel Insurance’s international travel insurance cover?
GIO’s International Singles policy will cover you for:
- Medical cover: GIO has unlimited medical and hospital cover, with up to $1,000 on overseas dental. You must provide a medical practitioner’s report confirming you’re unfit to travel.
- Loss/theft of personal items: GIO also covers the loss or theft of personal items, including trip delays or damage. It will pay up to $6,000.
- Travel delays/cancellation: GIO has unlimited cancellation or travel delays with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
- Rental car excess: If, as a result of an unexpected event, the rental vehicle you have hired is stolen or damaged during your journey, GIO will reimburse you for any non-refundable excess payable to the rental vehicle company of up to $2,000.
- 24/7 assistance: GIO Travel’s worldwide assistance team is available 24 hours a day via phone.
- Lost or stolen documents: GIO will cover the cost involved in replacing important documents that have been lost or stolen.
Please note that exclusions may apply. For example, your medical cover may not pay claims for medical or dental treatment received in Australia, and it will only cover losses related pregnancy up to and including the twentieth week. Another example of an exclusion is not being covered for any delays caused by a natural disaster occurring before the start date of your insurance.
For more details about what is and isn’t covered, check out the Product Disclosure Statement on GIO’s website.
Yes, GIO’s comprehensive policy has unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses under the following circumstances:
- You need medical assistance for an unexpected illness
- You’re seriously injured in an accident
- You need to be evacuated for an unexpected injury
As always, various conditions and exclusions will apply. It’s highly unlikely that you will be covered if the injury you suffer is classified as a ‘pre-existing condition’, for example.
For more information on whether you’re covered or not, read GIO Travel Insurance’s Product Disclosure Statement.
Yes, GIO will cover you up to a certain amount for replacing or reimbursing luggage and personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged while travelling.
Under GIO’s comprehensive policy, up to $6,000 worth of your belongings will be covered. GIO will also cover the cost of essential medication if it’s lost or destroyed, and has a limit of up to $3,000 for items such as laptops, tablets, cameras, etc. Read the PDS for more information regarding limits.
Again, there are exclusions that come with GIO Travel Insurance’s policies. For personal items and jewellery, you must specify them before applying, and all items must be approved by GIO; otherwise they will not be covered. Ensure you check the PDS to find out more about what items and luggage are and aren’t covered.
If you’re not sure what to do when your luggage goes missing, check out our guide on travel mishaps and how to avoid them.
Yes, GIO Travel Insurance will cover up to a certain amount for lost deposits and cancellation fees for pre-paid travel arrangements due to unforeseen circumstances outside the traveller’s control on a policy, including:
- Unlimited cover if your journey was cancelled or delayed, with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
Read the Product Disclosure Statement for more information on the various exclusions that may apply.
You can purchase a GIO Travel Insurance policy by first comparing your options with Canstar and then generating a quote online. All you need to list is your personal details (age, length of trip, address, etc.), your pre-existing conditions and your choice of cover:
You can lodge a claim with GIO Travel Insurance over the phone as it provides 24/7 emergency assistance, as well as reverse charges if you’re calling internationally.
- For a local claim, call 1800 285 712
- For an international claim, call +61 (7) 3305 7057
After that, just:
- Follow the prompts and enter the details of your claim
- Submit your claim and wait for GIO to do the rest
GIO Australia was founded in 1927 as the Government Insurance Office, to provide workers’ compensation insurance previously managed by the NSW Treasury Insurance Branch. The ownership of GIO changed in 2001 when it was bought by Suncorp, and in 2013 when it was bought by AAI Limited.
GIO supports the community in a number of ways. It supports Youngcare so young people with a disability can have a fulfilling life with other young people in age-appropriate care; Wheelchair Sports NSW to help Aussies have fun and stay healthy after a life-changing event; and TAD NSW to design and build affordable home modifications and mobility aids for people with a disability.
GIO is also a sponsor of the NSW Rugby League, the NSW State of Origin team and the Schoolboy GIO Cup competition.
GIO Holiday Travel Insurance
USA2017 Star Ratings Report