MyCover Travel Insurance
Compare MyCover Travel Insurance policies
The table below displays a snapshot of MyCover’s policies on Canstar’s database, sorted by Star Rating (highest to lowest). Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a couple travelling to the USA aged under 70.
What types of travel insurance does MyCover Travel Insurance offer?
MyCover offers both domestic and international travel insurance, with specialised policies for annual travellers, seniors, cruisers and skiers. It has two main international policies – Comprehensive and Medical Only – both of which offer a range of benefits. The comprehensive plan can also beseperated into three distinct policies:
If you’re unsure as to which kind of travel insurance is most appropriate for you, or would like to better understand the differences between the different types of cover, check out our comprehensive guide on travel insurance.
What does MyCover’s international travel insurance cover?
MyCover’ International Comprehensive Plan will cover you for:
- Medical cover: MyCover offers unlimited medical and hospital cover, as well as $1,000 in overseas dental expenses. You must provide a medical practitioner’s report confirming you’re unfit to travel.
- Loss/theft of personal items: MyCover also covers the loss or theft of personal items, including trip delays or damage. It will pay up to $10,000.
- Travel delays/cancellation: MyCover does offer cancellation cover; however, you must add the amount of cover that best suits you. It offers up to $2,000 in additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions that may delay your trip.
- Rental car excess: If, as a result of an unexpected event, the rental vehicle you have hired is stolen or damaged during your journey, MyCover Comprehensive will reimburse you for any non-refundable excess payable to the rental vehicle company of up to $3,000.
- 24/7 assistance: MyCover Travel’s emergency worldwide assistance team is available 24 hours a day via phone.
- Lost or stolen documents: MyCover will cover the cost involved in replacing important documents that have been lost or stolen.
Please note that exclusions may apply. For example, your medical cover may not pay claims for medical or dental treatment received in Australia, and it will only cover losses related pregnancy up to and including the twentieth week. Another example of an exclusion is not being covered for any delays caused by a natural disaster occurring before the start date of your insurance.
For more details about what is and isn’t covered, check out the Product Disclosure Statement on MyCover’s website.
Yes, MyCover’s comprehensive policy has unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses under the following circumstances:
- You need medical assistance for an unexpected illness
- You’re seriously injured in an accident
- You need to be evacuated for an unexpected injury
As always, various conditions and exclusions will apply. It’s highly unlikely that you will be covered if the injury you suffer is classified as a ‘pre-existing condition’, for example.
For more information on whether you’re covered or not, read MyCover Travel Insurance’s Product Disclosure Statement.
Yes, MyCover will cover you up to a certain amount for replacing or reimbursing luggage and personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged while travelling.
Under MyCover’s comprehensive policy, up to $10,000 worth of your belongings will be covered. MyCover will also cover the cost of essential medication if lost or destroyed as well at limits for items such as laptops, tablets, cameras, etc.
Again, there are exclusions that come with MyCover Travel Insurance’s policies. For personal items and jewellery, you must specify them before applying, and all items must be approved by MyCover; otherwise they will not be covered. Ensure you check the PDS to find out more about what items and luggage are and aren’t covered.
If you’re not sure what to do when your luggage goes missing, check out our guide on travel mishaps and how to avoid them.
Yes, MyCover Travel Insurance will cover up to a certain amount for lost deposits and cancellation fees for pre-paid travel arrangements due to unforeseen circumstances outside the traveller’s control on a policy.
Depending on the policy you decide to take out, you can receive cover if your journey was cancelled or delayed, with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
Read the Product Disclosure Statement for more information on the various exclusions that may apply.
You can purchase a MyCover Travel Insurance policy by first comparing your options with Canstar and then generating a quote online. All you need to list is your personal details (age, length of trip, address, etc.), your pre-existing conditions and your choice of cover.
There are three ways you can lodge a claim with MyCover, including:
- Calling its claims line on 1300 725 154 and talking to one of its qualified customer service representatives.
- Emailing a claim form online to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Posting a claims form to:
MyCover Pty Ltd
Travel Claims Department
PO Box 162
Toowong QLD 4066
Make sure you have the following documents (and details) ready:
- Policy number
- Personal details
- Supporting documentation (flight details, itinerary, receipts, etc.)
- Bank account details
MyCover is underwritten by Allianz Insurance and has plans that cover many of the risks associated with travel. It aims to provide travel insurance policies for worldwide cover at a reasonable cost.