CGU Travel Insurance
Compare CGU travel insurance policies
The table below displays a snapshot of CGU’s travel insurance policies on Canstar’s database, sorted by Star Rating (highest to lowest). Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a couple travelling to the USA aged under 70.
What types of travel insurance does CGU travel insurance offer?
CGU travel insurance offers both domestic and international travel insurance, with specialised policies for annual travellers, seniors, cruisers and skiers. It offers four main overseas policies including Economy, Standard, Super and Super Plus, to suit a wide range of budgets.
If you’re unsure as to which kind of travel insurance is most appropriate for you, or would like to better understand the differences between the different types of cover, check out our comprehensive guide on travel insurance.
What does CGU’s international travel insurance cover?
CGU’s International Super Plus policy will cover you for:
- Medical cover: CGU Super Plus has unlimited medical and hospital cover, with up to $1,000 on overseas dental. You must provide a medical practitioner’s report confirming you’re unfit to travel.
- Loss/theft of personal items: CGU also covers the loss or theft of personal items, including trip delays or damage. It will pay up to $12,000.
- Travel delays/cancellation: CGU covers unlimited cancellation or travel delays with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
- Rental car excess: If, as a result of an unexpected event, the rental vehicle you have hired is stolen or damaged during your journey, CGU Super Plus will reimburse you for any non-refundable excess payable to the rental vehicle company of up to $2,000.
- 24/7 assistance: CGU’s worldwide assistance team is available 24 hours a day via phone.
- Lost or stolen documents: CGU will cover the cost involved in replacing important documents that have been lost or stolen.
Please note that exclusions may apply. For example, your medical cover may not pay claims for medical or dental treatment received in Australia, and it will only cover losses related pregnancy up to and including the twentieth week. Another example of an exclusion is not being covered for any delays caused by a natural disaster occurring before the start date of your insurance.
For more details about what is and isn’t covered, check out the Product Disclosure Statement on CGU’s website.
Yes, CGU’s comprehensive policy has unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses under the following circumstances:
- You need medical assistance for an unexpected illness
- You’re seriously injured in an accident
- You need to be evacuated for an unexpected injury
As always, various conditions and exclusions will apply. It’s highly unlikely that you will be covered if the injury you suffer is classified as a ‘pre-existing condition’, for example.
For more information on whether you’re covered or not, read CGU’s Product Disclosure Statement.
Yes, CGU will cover you up to a certain amount for replacing or reimbursing luggage and personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged while travelling.
Under CGU’s comprehensive policy, up to $12,000 worth of your belongings will be covered. CGU will also cover the cost of essential medication if it’s lost or destroyed and has specific limits for essential items such as laptops, tablets, cameras, etc. Read the PDS for more information regarding limits.
Again, there are exclusions that come with CGU’s travel insurance policies. For personal items and jewellery, you must specify them before applying, and all items must be approved by CGU; otherwise they will not be covered. Ensure you check the PDS to find out more about what items and luggage are and aren’t covered.
If you’re not sure what to do when your luggage goes missing, check out our guide on travel mishaps and how to avoid them.
Yes, CGU travel insurance will cover up to a certain amount for lost deposits and cancellation fees for pre-paid travel arrangements due to unforeseen circumstances outside the traveller’s control on a policy, including:
- Unlimited cover if your journey was cancelled or delayed, with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
Read the Product Disclosure Statement for more information on the various exclusions that may apply.
You can purchase a CGU travel insurance policy by first comparing your options with Canstar and then generating a quote online. All you need to list is your personal details (age, length of trip, address, etc.), your pre-existing conditions and your choice of cover:
You can lodge a claim with CGU over the phone as it provides 24/7 emergency assistance, as well as reverse charges if you’re calling internationally.
- For a local claim, call (02) 8895 0698
- For an international claim, call +61 2 8895 0698
After that, just:
- Follow the prompts and enter the details of your claim
- Submit your claim and wait for CGU to do the rest
CGU is an insurer and a top three provider of workers compensation insurance, with a network of more than 1,000 brokers, agents, financial institutions and affinity partners. It’s been going for 160 years now, and is backed by IAG, the largest general insurer in Australia and New Zealand.
Every year, CGU provides insurance protection for:
- Over one million motor vehicles
- Nearly half a million properties
- More than 125,000 businesses
- Over 60,000 farms
The company deals with roughly 1,000 claims every day, and claims to pay approximately 98% of all claims it receives, totalling $1.6 billion in total payouts to customers annually.
CGU founded the CGU Foundation in 2013 and supports the community in four key areas: health, education, supporting people in need and caring for the community. The Foundation supports a range of charities through workplace giving, staff fundraising and volunteering.
CGU’s parent company, IAG, also has a Reconciliation Action Plan, which outlines and solidifies its commitment to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. The plan was developed after consulting a wide range of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specialists from business, the philanthropic sector and government.
CGU is also a sponsor of the NSW Waratahs and a Premier Partner of the Collingwood Football Club.