CGU Home & Contents Insurance

CGU is a provider of home insurance, landlord insurance, car insurance, life insurance and travel insurance.

Compare CGU home and contents insurancecgu

Here’s a snapshot of CGU home and contents insurance policies for policy holders aged below 50 years, whose total claimable amount is below $550K in New South Wales. To compare other home and contents insurance policies, click here.


Compare Home & Contents Insurance

What do CGU home and contents insurance policies cover?

CGU lets you choose from home insurance, contents insurance or a combined home and contents insurance policy. All come with several bonuses such as discounts and extra benefits for combined cover, as well as fast policy access.

Home insurance

CGU home insurance covers you for:

  • Some of the costs of rebuilding including demolition, surveyor, architect and legal fees
  • Natural disasters and extreme weather
  • Trees, plants and shrub replacement
  • Accidental breakage, theft or vandalism
  • Motor burnout
  • Glass breakage
  • Collision of a falling tree or branch
  • Alternative accommodation/rental costs
  • Replacing, repairing and recoding of locks and keys

Contents insurance

CGU contents insurance covers:

  • New for old replacement, regardless of age
  • Theft, loss or damage of items including furniture, household goods electrical appliances, furnishings, clothing and personal belongings
  • Credit card and transaction card misuse
  • Damage due to extreme weather
  • Accidental damage
  • Food and medication spoilage
  • Specified items away from home, anywhere in the world for up to 90 consecutive days
  • Vet expenses if your pet is injured


Compare Home & Contents Insurance


Building insurance covers any part of your house that is permanently fixed and not intended to move, such as your walls and roof, and even the light on your front porch. Contents insurance covers all the items within your house that are not permanent fixtures, i.e. you could move them between houses. Find out more about home and contents insurance here.

As a renter, you don’t need home insurance because your landlord should have insurance for the building you live in, and if you live in a unit/apartment or townhouse, the body corporate is legally required to have building insurance for the building. But you should certainly get contents insurance to protect your own possessions. Many providers offer specialised renters’ insurance policies.

For landlords, a better option than home insurance is landlord insurance. Landlord insurance covers you for the same things as a home insurance policy, but with several important additions to cover you against risks from your tenants.

Depending on your choice of cover, CGU landlord insurance may cover repairs for damage caused by your tenants, or your legal fees if you need to sue tenants who are not paying rent. Compare landlord insurance here:

Compare Landlord Insurance

If you have a recent and accurate estimate for the value of your home and contents, then it’s often a good idea to insure up to that particular sum to get your exact money’s worth. If you don’t have an accurate idea of the above value, then you could insure for a complete replacement to give yourself peace of mind. Find out how much home insurance you need and how much contents insurance you need.

You can make an insurance claim by filling in a form online, calling CGU’s phone hotline or contacting it via post. The online portal is a similarly quick process that takes roughly 10 minutes, after which a CGU representative will call you to discuss the details.

This includes all quotes, materials sourcing and legislative requirements needed to make repairs to your home, as well as helping you source replacement items if your contents have been lost or damaged.

Different insurers have different claims processes, so make sure to compare different home insurance claim apps that will make your life easier.

CGU is an insurer and a top-three provider of workers compensation insurance, with a network of more than 1,000 brokers, agents, financial institutions and affinity partners. It’s been going for 160 years now, and is backed by IAG, the largest general insurer in Australia and New Zealand.

Every year, CGU provides insurance protection for:

  • Over one million motor vehicles
  • Nearly half a million properties
  • More than 125,000 businesses
  • Over 60,000 farms

The company deals with roughly 1,000 claims every day, and claims to pay approximately 98% of all claims it receives, totalling $1.6 billion in payouts to customers annually.

CGU founded the CGU Foundation in 2013 and supports the community in four key areas: health, education, supporting people in need, and caring for the community. The Foundation supports a range of charities through workplace giving, staff fundraising and volunteering.

CGU’s parent company, IAG, also has a Reconciliation Action Plan, which outlines and solidifies its commitment to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. The plan was developed after consulting a wide range of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specialists from business, the philanthropic sector and government.

CGU is also a sponsor of the NSW Waratahs and a Premier Partner of the Collingwood Football Club.

Source: CGU Insurance

Written by: Regina Collins | Last updated: