SGIC Home & Contents Insurance

SGIC is an insurance provider for homes, cars and travel that is exclusive to South Australia.

Compare SGIC home and contents insurance

Outstanding Value Award Winner

See below for a snapshot of SGIC’s home and contents insurance products on

offer for a home owner under 50 living in South Australia to replace building and contents worth less than $550,000.

Compare Home & Contents

What do SGIC home and contents insurance policies cover?

SGIC offers home building insurance, contents insurance and combined home and contents insurance.

Home Building Insurance

SGIC’s building insurance offers the following:

  • A ‘lifetime guarantee’ when your home is repaired or rebuilt by one of its preferred repairers
  • Cover for the outside of your home (roofs, patios, verandas, etc.)
  • Cover for your pool and shed
  • Cover for fences
  • Optional cover:
  • Accidental damage
  • Cover for up to $2,000 in vet costs for cats and dogs
  • Burn out of electric motors (fusion)

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance with SGIC offers:

  • New for old item replacement if they’re stolen or damaged
  • Cover for soft interior furnishing (carpets, curtains, etc.)
  • Cover for gardening tools
  • Cover for toys and sporting equipment
  • Cover for appliances (fridges, washing machines, etc.)
  • Optional cover:
  • Portable contents (laptops, jewellery)
  • Accidental damage
  • $2,000 in vet costs
  • Burnout of electrical motors in general contents items

Home and Contents Insurance

SGIC’s home and contents insurance policy offers a combined package of the two. By applying for its Home Plus package, you can also acquire a 25% safety net on top of the general contents sum insured and temporary accommodation if your home is unliveable.

Read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) documents for more information.

Compare Home & Contents

How do I apply for an SGIC home and contents insurance policy?

To apply for an SGIC home insurance policy, first compare your options in Canstar’s home insurance comparison tables. Once you’ve done this, you can complete SGIC’s seven-step process to obtain a quote and apply online, or call 133 233.

You will need to provide information on:

  • Your policy start date
  • Your home address
  • Who lives in your home and the number of people covered by the policy
  • Any promotional code you might have

Compare Home & Contents


For landlords, a better option than home insurance is landlord insurance. Landlord insurance covers you for the same things as a home insurance policy, but with several important additions to cover you against risks from your tenants.

To see what kind of options SGIC offers for landlord insurance, have a look at the product below.

Compare Landlord Insurance

If you have a recent and accurate estimate for the value of your home and contents, then it’s often a good idea to insure up to that particular sum to get your exact money’s worth.

If you don’t have an accurate idea of the above value, then you could insure for a complete replacement to give yourself peace of mind. Find out how much home insurance you need and how much contents insurance you need.

You can make a claim online and upload any supporting photos or documents immediately with SGIC, by simply using its online claims centre. This will merely take a few minutes, and all you’ll need is your home insurance policy number and details of what happened. Alternatively, you can call 133 233.

SGIC, standing for State Government Insurance Commission, was first founded in 1971 to provide a source of insurance for the residents of South Australia. It was acquired by IAG in 1998, and today is one of the leading providers of insurance in the state.

SGIC is very active in the South Australian community. In particular, it supports and runs community education programs that help people deal with emergency situations, such as fire or storms.

Written by: William Jolly | Last updated: