Version: 14 July 2017
Canstar website and social media – use and content
The information provided in the Canstar Media is a guide only and may not be complete for your purposes. Canstar does not warrant the accuracy of any information on Canstar and recommend that you confirm it with third party product providers before acting on it. Third party product and service information is for information purposes only and must be confirmed with the company quoted. In many cases, rates indicated are available to new customers only or may include special rates available for a limited time.
If Canstar requests that you stop using the Canstar Media, you must immediately comply with that request.
Although great care has been taken to ensure the reliability of any statements of opinion or general ratings information provided by Canstar, Canstar gives no warranty in relation to statements and information contained in the Canstar Media and subject to the following paragraph, disclaims all liability to the fullest extent possible arising from any persons acting on the information and statements contained therein. Canstar assumes no responsibility or obligation to provide updates on any published statement or report.
Nothing in these terms and conditions shall be construed to exclude, restrict or modify any guarantee applicable to a consumer that may apply under the Australian Consumer Law contained in Schedule 2 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) (‘Consumer Guarantee’). Where a Consumer Guarantee is not able to be excluded, Canstar’s liability shall be limited at its sole discretion, to supplying the service again, or payment of the costs of having the service supplied again. Subject to the foregoing, Canstar shall have no liability to any user of any of the Canstar Media or the information on it, for any reason.
Copyright & Links
The Canstar Media is owned by Canstar and subject to copyright. The Canstar Media may also contain third party supplied material that is subject to copyright. Canstar takes no responsibility for the use of information provided on Canstar Media. Except as permitted by the Copyright Act 1968, you may not reproduce, transmit, disseminate, sell, or publish information on Canstar Media without prior written permission from Canstar, provided that you may use the information for your private or internal purposes. Reference to any products, services or other information, by trade name, trademark or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation of them by Canstar, and does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation of Canstar by the respective trademark owner. Rates are for information purposes only and must be confirmed with the company quoted. Canstar Media may contain links to other websites. Such links do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of any material on those linked websites or any third party products and services offered by, from or through those sites. Please refer to Canstar Pty Limited’s Financial Services and Credit Guide (FSCG) for more information.
General Advice Warning
To the extent that any Canstar data, ratings or commentary constitutes general advice, this advice has been prepared by Canstar Pty Limited ABN 21 053 646 165 Authorised Representative No. 443019 (‘CANSTAR’) and does not take into account your individual investment objectives, financial circumstances or needs. Information provided on and available from this site does not constitute financial, taxation or other professional advice and should not be relied upon as such. Canstar Research recommends that, before you make any financial decision, you seek professional advice from a suitably qualified adviser. Any reference by Canstar Research to the past performance of a financial institution or service provider is not necessarily indicative of future performance. A Product Disclosure Statement relating to the product should also be obtained and considered before making any decision about whether to acquire the product. Please refer to Canstar Research’s Financial Services Guide and Credit Guide for more information.
Our policy in relation to legal threats and demands made against Canstar can be found on our legal threats policy page.
Canstar’s website allows users to click on a range of content to be to be transferred to a third party’s website or landing page (‘Third Party Provider’), where you may find more information, complete an application form or request contact from the Third Party Provider about its products and services (‘Canstar Referral Service’).
If you do not accept these terms and conditions you must immediately stop use of the Canstar Referral Service and not take any further action in relation to that Third Party Provider, which might include progressing to the making an application and/or completing an online form in relation to a financial product.
If you choose to use the Canstar Referral Service, you agree with Canstar that:
- we are referring you to the Third Party Provider for further information about the financial product or service;
- we may ask you to provide some information in a form before you are referred to the Third Party Provider. If you choose to provide that information, it will be dealt with in accordance with these terms and conditions;
- by clicking an action button (for example ‘Get Quote’,’Visit Site’, ‘Proceed’, ‘Request a Callback’), by proceeding to obtain a quote or by completing and submitting an application, in all cases you consent to us providing your personal information and other details in the online form to the Third Party Provider for the purpose of the Third Party Provider providing you with more information about a particular financial product or service;
- if you telephone a number shown on the form, you will be telephoning and speaking to employees or agents of the Third Party Provider and not Canstar;
- the Third Party Provider is not our employee, contractor or agent, and we will have no liability to you in relation your dealings with the Third Party Provider including any advice or recommendations it may make;
- the Third Party Provider is a financial product provider, selling its own financial product products and services;
- you will make all arrangements in relation to services you require from the Third Party Provider and you will be responsible for all fees and charges (if any) payable in relation to any product or service you acquire from the Third Party Provider;
- we make no recommendation to you about the skills, expertise or suitability of the Third Party Provider for your purposes. You should consider seeking advice from a qualified financial adviser prior to proceeding;
- a Product Disclosure Statement relating to the product you are interested in should be obtained and considered before making any decision about whether to acquire the product. Refer to the Third Party Provider’s Financial Services Guide or Credit Guide.
- we may contact you to seek your response to a survey in relation to your dealings with the Third Party Provider;
- we (or one of our related companies) may receive a commission or other payment in relation to the referral. For more information see How We Get Paid;
- “We” and “us” means CANSTAR Pty Limited A.C.N. 053 646 165
General Terms and Conditions of Promotions (v.130717)
1. The following General Terms & Conditions apply to all competitions, giveaways and promotions (“Promotion/s”) run by the Promoter and each Promotion Schedule is incorporated into and forms a part of the General Terms and Conditions.
2. If a Promotion Schedule applies to a Promotion then for the purposes of that Promotion, these General Terms and Conditions apply subject to the terms of the applicable Promotion Schedule. To the extent of any conflict between these General Terms and Conditions and a Promotion Schedule, the Promotion Schedule will prevail.
3. The Entrant agrees and acknowledges that they have read these General Terms & Conditions and the Promotion Schedule and that entry into the Promotion is deemed to be acceptance of these General Terms & Conditions and the Promotion Schedule.
4. Each Promotion commences and closes at the time and on the date shown in item 1 of the applicable Promotion Schedule (“Promotion Period”). Entries are deemed to be received at the time of receipt by the Promoter and not at the time of transmission or deposit by the entrant. Records of the Promoter are final and conclusive as to the time of receipt.
5. Information on how to enter a Promotion will be set out in item 2 of the applicable Promotion Schedule for each Promotion.
6. No entry fee is charged by the Promoter to enter the Promotion. Where entry is allowed online, there is no additional cost to enter the Promotion other than any cost paid by the entrant to access the website or social media platform of entry via their Internet service provider.
7. If, for any reason, any aspect of this Promotion is not capable of running as planned, including by reason of computer virus, communications network failure, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failure or any cause beyond the control of the Promoter, the Promoter may, in its sole discretion, cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Promotion and invalidate any affected entries, or suspend or modify a prize, subject to State or Territory regulation.
8. The Promoter will not be liable for any loss (including, without limitation, indirect, special or consequential loss or loss of profits), expense, damage, personal injury or death which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person’s negligence or wilful misconduct) in connection with this Promotion or accepting or using any prize (or recommendation), except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (in which case that liability is limited to the minimum allowable by law).
Entries and Entry Process
9. Each individual who enters into a Promotion on the Canstar website or on Facebook is called an “Entrant.”
10. All Entrants must be Australian residents.
11. Entrants must be at least 18 years of age.
12. Employees of any company in the Canstar group (including the Promoter), and immediate family members (spouse/partner, children, parents) of employees, are ineligible to participate in any Promotion.
13. Only one entry is permitted per Entrant.
14. The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to validate and verify the authenticity of entries and the details of each Entrant (including an Entrant’s identity, age and place of residence). The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any person for tampering with the entry process. In the event that a winner cannot provide suitable proof as required by the Promoter to validate their entry, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.
15. The Prize will be awarded to the person named in the entry and any entry that is made on behalf of an entrant or by a third party will be invalid. If there is a dispute as to the identity of an entrant or winner, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine the identity of the entrant or winner.
16. A Promotion is not available for use with any other discount, special offer or promotion.
17. To be eligible for a Promotion, and in order to make a valid submission under the Promotion, an Entrant must, during the Promotion Period, meet all of the requirements set out in item 3 (if applicable) of the relevant Promotion Schedule.
18. If a Promotion is being run on Facebook, Entrants who take up the offer to enter the Promotion are taken to agree to these General Terms and Conditions and to the applicable Promotion Schedule. Each Entrant expressly acknowledges that:
a) the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, and
b) by entering and participating in the Promotion, the Entrant agrees to hold harmless, defend and indemnify Facebook from and against any and all claims, demands, liability, damages or causes of action (however named or described), losses, costs or expenses, with respect to or arising out of or related to:
i. the Entrant’s participation in the Promotion, or
ii. the Entrant’s participation in any Prize related activities, acceptance of a Prize and/or use or misuse of a Prize (including, without limitation, any property loss, damage, personal injury or death caused to any person(s)).
Prizes and Prize Winners
19. The draw will be in relation to one or more prizes (“Prize”).
20. Details of the Prize or Prizes (as applicable) will be set out in item 4 of the Promotion Schedule.
21. The Promoter may, at its discretion, substitute the Prize (or a portion of the Prize) depending on availability, for a similar Prize of equal or greater valuesubject to any written directions of a regulatory authority.
22. No part of a Prize is exchangeable, redeemable for cash or any other prize, or transferable, unless otherwise specified in writing by the Promoter.
23. Unless otherwise specified, a Prize is a single event for the winner (and where relevant their guests) and cannot be separated into separate events or components.
24. The winner of the Prize (“Prize Winner”) will be selected by a procedure set out in item 5 of the Promotion Schedule for each competition. The selection will take place at the time and date set out in item 5 of the Promotion Schedule.
25. It is a condition of accepting the Prize that the winner (and where relevant their guests) may be required to sign a legal release as determined by the Promoter in its absolute discretion, prior to receiving the Prize.
26. Under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), the Promoter must tell Entrants when it collects personal information about them and how it plans to use it.
27. If an Entrant chooses to enter or take part in the Promotion, the Entrant may be required to provide the Promoter with personal information such as the Entrant’s name, email address, age and postcode. The Promoter may use this information for future marketing purposes regarding its products, including contacting the Entrant electronically. The Promoter collects personal information about Entrants to enable them to participate in this Promotion and may disclose the Entrants’ personal information to third parties, including its contractors and agents, prize suppliers and service providers, to assist in conducting this Promotion, and to the State and Territory lottery departments as required under the relevant lottery legislation.
29. Any personal details provided incorrectly to the Promoter may be deemed by the Promoter as an invalid submission.
30. Throughout the Promotional Period, the Promoter may at their absolute discretion contact some Entrants via email to further discuss the details of that person’s entry. Any contact is not indicative of an Entrant’s standing in the competition, and does in no way indicate whether or not that Entrant has been selected as a Contestant/Finalist/Winner.
31. The Prize Winner will be notified by the email address provided during the Promotion entry process, within 2 working days of being determined.
32. Results may be published on the Promoter’s website or any other publication.
33. Should the Winner not claim their prize within five business days of being notified, the Promoter may, at its discretion, re-determine a new Winner by a random draw which will take place between 10:00am and 12:00pm AEST on the sixth business day at Level 21, 143 Turbot Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000.
34. Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter (including its officers, employees and agents) exclude all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury, or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity) whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the Prize as a result of the Promotion.
35. The Promoter reserves the right at any time to change these General Terms and Conditions, and to change the Promotion Schedule details for each Promotion.
36. All enquiries relating to any Promotion can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
37. By entering a Promotion,
38. If applicable, the permit(s) identified in Item 6 of the Promotion Schedule will apply to the Promotion. The conditions of the permit(s) will prevail over these General Terms and Conditions and any Promotion Schedule to the extent of any inconsistency.
39. The additional conditions in Item 7 of the Promotion Schedule (if any) will apply to the Promotion.