RAC Home & Contents Insurance

RAC is a Western Australian provider of home and contents insurance, car insurance, credit cards, life insurance and travel insurance.

Compare RAC home and contents insuranceRAC logo

Here’s a snapshot of RAC home and contents insurance policies for policy holders aged below 50 years, whose total claimable amount is below $550K in New South Wales. To compare other home and contents insurance policies, click here.


Compare Home & Contents Insurance

What do RAC home and contents insurance policies cover?

RAC lets you choose from home insurance, contents insurance or a combined home and contents insurance policy. All come with several bonuses such as discounts and extra benefits for combined cover, as well as fast policy access.

Home insurance

RAC home insurance covers you for:

  • Some of the costs of rebuilding, including demolition and removal of debris
  • Legal liability cover
  • Natural disasters and extreme weather
  • Accidental breakage, theft or vandalism
  • Motor burnout
  • Compensation for death
  • Temporary accommodation/rental costs
  • Glass breakage
  • Exclusive RAC membership discounts

Contents insurance

RAC contents insurance covers:

  • ‘New for old’ replacement of belongings
  • Theft, loss or damage of items including furniture, household goods, electrical appliances, furnishings, clothing and personal belongings
  • Credit card theft/misuse
  • Damage due to extreme weather
  • Accidental damage
  • Spoilage of perishable food
  • Replacement of locks and keys

Compare Home & Contents Insurance


Building insurance covers any part of your house that is permanently fixed and not intended to move, such as your walls and roof, and even the light on your front porch. Contents insurance covers all the items within your house that are not permanent fixtures, i.e. you could move them between houses. Find out more about home and contents insurance here.

As a renter, you don’t need home insurance because your landlord should have insurance for the building you live in, and if you live in a unit/apartment or townhouse, the body corporate is legally required to have building insurance for the building. But you should certainly get contents insurance to protect your own possessions. Many providers offer specialised renters’ insurance policies.

For landlords, a better option than home insurance is landlord insurance. Landlord insurance covers you for the same things as a home insurance policy, but with several important additions to cover you against risks from your tenants.

Currently, RAC does not offer landlord insurance, however Canstar compares over 40+ landlord insurance policies. Compare landlord insurance here:

Compare Landlord Insurance

If you have a recent and accurate estimate for the value of your home and contents, then it’s often a good idea to insure up to that particular sum to get your exact money’s worth. If you don’t have an accurate idea of the above value, then you could insure for a complete replacement to give yourself peace of mind. Find out how much home insurance you need and how much contents insurance you need.

You can make an insurance claim either by calling RAC’s phone hotline on 13 17 03, in person at a branch, or by lodging your claim online using its dedicated online portal. It takes roughly 10 minutes to submit a claim and can be done 24/7 – making those late night problems a bit more manageable.

Once your claim has been submitted, the claims team will determine if a claims assessor would be required to visit your home regarding repairs and replacements.

Different insurers have different claims processes, so make sure to compare different home insurance claim apps that will make your life easier.

RAC was formed by a group of motoring enthusiasts all the way back in 1905 – more than 100 years ago. RAC is 100% local to Western Australia, and offers financial services and products to about 900,000 members.

RAC covers the largest geographical area of any automotive club in the world, and is a firm advocate for safer and more innovative roads in the state. RAC’s vision is to build Australia’s first electric highway by the year 2020, and it sponsors two emergency rescue helicopters to help Western Australians.

Compare RAC’s Home and Contents Insurance

Written by: Regina Collins | Last updated: