Australian Seniors Home & Contents Insurance


Australian Seniors

Australian Seniors is a provider of home and contents insurance in Australia, as well as other products such as funeral insurance, car insurance and travel insurance.

Compare home and contents insurance

What do Australian Seniors home and contents insurance policies cover?

Australian Seniors offers home insurance, contents insurance and combined home and contents insurance. It offers two levels of coverage across its home and contents insurance policies:

  • Essential cover – provides a general level of cover
  • Top cover – provides a more comprehensive level of cover, including accidental damage cover, contents in transit cover, higher policy limits and other benefits

Home insurance

Australian Seniors says its home insurance is designed to protect your home from fires, theft, storms and more.

Features of Australian Seniors home insurance include cover for:

  • Damage caused by fires, earthquakes, storms, floods etc.
  • Theft
  • Damage from riot or civil commotion
  • Emergency accommodation
  • Removal of debris due to damage
  • Legal liability cover
  • Temporary accommodation for cats or dogs

Contents insurance

Australian Seniors says its contents insurance is designed to cover the belongings at your home, from your outdoor garden to personal keepsakes.

Features of Australian Seniors’ contents insurance include:

  • Damage caused by fires, earthquakes, storms, floods etc.
  • Damage to trees, plants or shrubs
  • Home-office contents
  • Replacement of locks after theft
  • Cash/cashable documents
  • Bicycles and musical instruments
  • Personal collections and valuables
  • Personal documents replacement
  • Cover for guest’s contents
  • Tools of trade

Combined home and contents insurance

Australian Seniors home and contents insurance offers all of the above benefits and inclusions of both home insurance and contents insurance in a combined package. At the time of writing, Australian Seniors says policyholders may be eligible for a discount of up to 30% when they purchase combined home and contents insurance online.

How do I apply for an Australian Seniors home and contents insurance policy?

To apply for an Australian Seniors home and contents insurance policy, you can get a quote by either calling Australian Seniors directly, or requesting one online via their website.

Compare home and contents insurance

Australian Seniors FAQs

What’s the difference between Australian Seniors building and Australian Seniors contents insurance?

As a general rule, building insurance covers any part of your house that is permanently fixed and not intended to move, such as your walls and roof, or kitchen benchtops. Contents insurance covers all the items within your house that are not permanent fixtures, i.e. you could move them between houses. Find out more about home and contents insurance here.

How much Australian Seniors home insurance should I take out?

If you have a recent and accurate estimate for the value of your home and contents, then it’s often a good idea to insure up to that particular sum to get your exact money’s worth.

If you don’t have an accurate idea of this value, then you could look for a complete replacement home insurance policy to give yourself peace of mind, though bear in mind that while you’re less likely to be underinsured, the premiums for a total replacement may be more expensive than for a sum-insured one. Find out how much home insurance you need and how much contents insurance you need.

How do I make a claim with Australian Seniors?

If something happens to your home or contents, you can either lodge a claim online or call the Australian Seniors claims number during business hours. For emergency claims, Australian Seniors has a 24/7 helpline. You will need to provide your policy number and details of the incident. Australian Seniors says its home and contents insurance claims are administered by The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd.

I’m currently renting. Do I need Australian Seniors home insurance?

As a renter, you generally don’t need home insurance because your landlord should have insurance for the building you live in, and if you live in a unit, apartment or townhouse, the body corporate is legally required to have building insurance for the building. However, as a renter you can still consider contents insurance if you want to protect your own possessions.

Some providers offer specialised renters insurance policies. In many cases, though, renters insurance is the same or very similar to a contents insurance policy. It may be the case that when applying for a standard contents insurance policy, you simply need to specify to the insurer that you’re a tenant.

If you are a renter, you can purchase a contents-only policy from Australian Seniors.

I’m a landlord. Do I need Australian Seniors home insurance?

For landlords, a specific landlord insurance policy could be an option to consider. Landlord insurance is designed to cover you for the same things as a home insurance policy, but with several additions to cover you against risks from having tenants in your property.

Depending on your choice of cover, Australian Seniors landlord insurance may cover damage to your investment property and other expenses.

About Australian Seniors

Australian Seniors launched in 1998 to meet the needs of the over 50s market.  It says customers range from those over 50 who are working to self-funded retirees.

This content was reviewed as part of our fact-checking process.

Written by: Tamika Seeto | Last updated: October 1, 2021