RACT Home & Contents Insurance

RACT is a Tasmanian provider of various kinds of insurance, such as home insurance, landlord insurance, car insurance, boat and caravan insurance, plus all things travel.

Compare RACT home and contents insurance RACT Logo

See below for a snapshot of RACT’s home and contents insurance products on offer for a home owner under 50 living in Tasmania to replace building and contents worth less than $550,000.

Compare Home & Contents

What do RACT home and contents insurance policies cover?

Home Building Insurance

RACT’s home insurance policy provides cover for the following:

  • Insured events, like:
  • Storms and floods
  • Lightning and fires
  • Explosions
  • Theft and malicious acts
  • Animal damage
  • Earthquakes
  • Optional cover also includes:
  • Accidental breakage
  • Replacement key and locks
  • Temporary accommodation
  • Storm damage to gates and fences
  • Damage to electrical motors

Contents Insurance

Under RACT’s home contents policy, you can also be covered for the above insured events, with additional optional cover for your contents:

  • New for old contents replacement
  • Cover for contents outside the home
  • Loss or damage to valuable items (jewellery, works of art, stamp collections, etc.)
  • Replacement for personal effects
  • Up to $300 cover for spoiled foods due to freezer breakdown

Home and Contents Insurance

RACT’s combined home and contents policy offers benefits of both home building and contents cover. You can read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) documents to learn more about what you are and are and aren’t covered for.

Compare Home & Contents

How do I apply for an RACT home and contents insurance policy?

To apply for an RACT home and contents policy, first compare your options in Canstar’s home insurance comparison tables. Then, all you have to do is generate a quote and apply online, which takes a few minutes at most.

If you’d rather do this over the phone, you can call 13 27 22, but bear in mind it might take longer than applying online.

Compare Home & Contents


For landlords, a better option than home insurance is landlord insurance. Landlord insurance covers you for the same things as a home insurance policy, but with several important additions to cover you against risks from your tenants.

RACT’s investor insurance gives you peace of mind over your rental property. There are two levels of cover available – Investor Basic and Investor Plus. For a snapshot of RACT’s landlord insurance products, check out the table below.

Compare Landlord Insurance

If you have a recent and accurate estimate for the value of your home and contents, then it’s often a good idea to insure up to that particular sum to get your exact money’s worth.

If you don’t have an accurate idea of the above value, then you could insure for a complete replacement to give yourself peace of mind. Find out how much home insurance you need and how much contents insurance you need.

Making a claim with RACT on a home and contents insurance policy is straightforward; just ring RACT on 13 27 22 and be prepared to sort out your claim in a few minutes. You’ll just need the following:

  • Your policy number
  • Name, address and phone number
  • Information about the incident and details of any police involvement

The Royal Automobile Club of Tasmania was established in 1923 to better meet the needs of Tasmanian motorists. In total, RACT has over 184,000 members, 1,200 of which have been with it for 50 years or more.

Written by: William Jolly | Last updated: