Suncorp Travel Insurance
Compare Suncorp Travel Insurance
The table below displays a snapshot of Suncorp’s travel insurance policies on Canstar’s database, sorted by Star Rating (highest to lowest). Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a couple travelling to the USA aged under 70.
What types of travel insurance does Suncorp offer?
Suncorp offers only international travel insurance, as well as an annual multi-trip policy if you’re a frequent international traveller. If you’re unsure as to which kind of travel insurance is most appropriate for you, or would like to better understand the differences between the different types of cover, check out our comprehensive guide on travel insurance.
What does Suncorp International Travel Insurance cover?
Suncorp’s International Comprehensive Singles policy will cover you for:
- Medical cover: Suncorp offers unlimited medical, and hospital cover as well as up to $1000 in dental expenses. You must provide a medical practitioner’s report confirming you’re unfit to travel.
- Loss/theft of personal items: Suncorp also covers the loss or theft of personal items, including trip delays or damage. It will pay up to $6,000.
- Travel delays/cancellation: Suncorp Comprehensive offers unlimited cancellation cover and lost deposits. It also offers additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions that may delay your trip.
- Rental car excess: If, as a result of an unexpected event, the rental vehicle you have hired is stolen or damaged during your journey, Suncorp Comprehensive will reimburse you for any non-refundable excess payable to the rental vehicle company of up to $2,000.
- 24/7 assistance: Suncorp’s emergency worldwide assistance team is available 24 hours a day via phone.
- Lost or stolen documents: Suncorp will cover the cost involved in replacing important documents that have been lost or stolen.
Please note that exclusions may apply. For example, your medical cover may not pay claims for medical or dental treatment received in Australia, while it will only cover losses related pregnancy up to and including the twentieth week. Another example of an exclusion is not being covered for any delays caused by a natural disaster occurring before the start date of your insurance.
For more details about what is and isn’t covered, check out the Product Disclosure Statement on the Suncorp website.
Yes, the Suncorp International Travel Insurance policy has unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses, as well as up to $1,000 dental expenses, under the following circumstances:
- You need medical assistance for an unexpected illness
- You’re seriously injured in an accident
- You need to be evacuated for an unexpected injury
As always, various conditions and exclusions will apply. It’s highly unlikely that you will be covered if the injury you suffer is classified as a ‘pre-existing condition’, for example.
For more information, read the Suncorp Product Disclosure Statement.
Yes, Suncorp will cover you up to a certain amount for replacing or reimbursing luggage and personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged while travelling.
Under the Suncorp International policy, up to $6,000 worth of your belongings will be covered. Suncorp will also cover the cost of essential medication if lost or destroyed and has sub-limits for items such as laptops, tablets and cameras.
Again, there are exclusions that come with Suncorp policies. For personal items and jewellery, you must specify them before applying, and all items must be approved by Suncorp; otherwise they will not be covered. Ensure you check the PDS to find out more about what items and luggage are and aren’t covered.
If you’re not sure what to do when your luggage goes missing, check out our guide on travel mishaps and how to avoid them.
Yes, Suncorp Premium travel insurance will provide unlimited cover on lost deposits and cancellation fees for pre-paid travel arrangements due to unforeseen circumstances outside the traveller’s control on a policy. Read the Product Disclosure Statement for more information.
You can purchase a Suncorp policy by first comparing your options with Canstar and then generating a quote online. The generator should ask questions such as travel dates, the age of the travellers and the destination, as well as optional extras including snow sport and sub-limits on valuables.
It should take around 10 minutes.
There are two main ways you can lodge a travel insurance claim with Suncorp, including:
- Lodging a claim form Just follow the prompts and add additional documentation.
- Suncorp also has a 24/7 Line. Call 1800 646 279 (domestic enquiries) o +61 7 3305 7057 (international enquiries) and talk to one of its qualified customer service representatives.
Make sure you have the following documents (and details) ready:
- Policy number
- Personal details
- Supporting documentation (flight details, itinerary, receipts, etc.)
- Bank account details
Founded in 1902, Suncorp remains Australia’s leading bank in regional areas. The brands that come under the Suncorp Group umbrella include several insurance companies: AAMI, GIO, Bingle.com.au, Apia, Shannons, Terri Scheer, Asteron Life and AA Insurance.
Suncorp’s YouTube Channel offers insights into Australian spending habits, including some handy tips on applying for mortgages.
Suncorp Bank supports the community in a big way when it comes to health and fitness, promoting sun safety in the community since 2004 through itsSunWise program. It also proudly sponsors the 5km parkrun every Saturday around the country, and the runPositive community at major marathon events. Suncorp also sponsors the Blackmores Sydney Running Festival, Gold Coast Airport Marathon and the Sunday Mail Suncorp Bank Bridge to Brisbane. It even supports Youngcare so young people with a disability can have a fulfilling life with other young people in age-appropriate care.
As for protecting the environment, Suncorp promotes environmental sustainability with cutting-edge sustainable design used and maintained in the Suncorp Stadium, and has been consolidating office space to reduce environmental impact. It also provides easy-to-use waste recycle bins in major offices, reducing the amount of landfill waste.
Holiday Travel Insurance - Single Trip
Couple2017 Star Ratings Report