Medibank Travel Insurance
Compare Medibank Travel Insurance policies
The table below displays a snapshot of Medibank’s policies on Canstar’s database, sorted by Star Rating (highest to lowest). Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a couple travelling to the USA aged under 70.
What types of travel insurance does Medibank Travel Insurance offer?
Medibank offers both domestic and international travel insurance, with specialised policies for annual travellers, seniors, cruisers and skiers. It has two main international policies – Comprehensive and Medical Only – both of which offer a range of benefits.
If you’re unsure as to which kind of travel insurance is most appropriate for you, or would like to better understand the differences between the different types of cover, check out our comprehensive guide on travel insurance.
What does Medibank’s international travel insurance cover?
Medibank’ International Comprehensive policy will cover you for:
- Medical cover: Medibank offers unlimited medical, dental and hospital cover. You must provide a medical practitioner’s report confirming you’re unfit to travel.
- Loss/theft of personal items: Medibank also covers the loss or theft of personal items, including trip delays or damage. It will pay up to $8,000 for various different items.
- Travel delays/cancellation: Medibank does offer cancellation cover; however, you must add the amount of cover that best suits you. It offers up to $2,000 in additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions that may delay your trip.
- Rental car excess: If, as a result of an unexpected event, the rental vehicle you have hired is stolen or damaged during your journey, Medibank Comprehensive will reimburse you for any non-refundable excess payable to the rental vehicle company of up to $4,000.
- 24/7 assistance: Medibank Travel’s emergency worldwide assistance team is available 24 hours a day via phone.
- Lost or stolen documents: Medibank will cover the cost involved in replacing important documents that have been lost or stolen.
Please note that exclusions may apply. For example, your medical cover may not pay claims for medical or dental treatment received in Australia, and it will only cover losses related pregnancy up to and including the twentieth week. Another example of an exclusion is not being covered for any delays caused by a natural disaster occurring before the start date of your insurance.
For more details about what is and isn’t covered, check out the Product Disclosure Statement on Medibank’s website.
Yes, Medibank’s comprehensive policy has unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses under the following circumstances:
- You need medical assistance for an unexpected illness
- You’re seriously injured in an accident
- You need to be evacuated for an unexpected injury
As always, various conditions and exclusions will apply. It’s highly unlikely that you will be covered if the injury you suffer is classified as a ‘pre-existing condition’, for example.
For more information on whether you’re covered or not, read Medibank Travel Insurance’s Product Disclosure Statement.
Yes, Medibank will cover you up to a certain amount for replacing or reimbursing luggage and personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged while travelling.
Under Medibank’s comprehensive policy, up to $8,000 worth of your belongings will be covered. Medibank will also cover:
- The cost of essential medication if its lost or destroyed
- Up to $500 per item for essential items
- $3,500 per item for laptops, tablets, cameras, etc.
Again, there are exclusions that come with Medibank Travel Insurance’s policies. For personal items and jewellery, you must specify them before applying, and all items must be approved by Medibank; otherwise they will not be covered. Ensure you check the PDS to find out more about what items and luggage are and aren’t covered.
If you’re not sure what to do when your luggage goes missing, check out our guide on travel mishaps and how to avoid them.
Yes, Medibank Travel Insurance will cover up to a certain amount for lost deposits and cancellation fees for pre-paid travel arrangements due to unforeseen circumstances outside the traveller’s control on a policy.
Depending on the policy you decide to take out, you can receive cover if your journey was cancelled or delayed, with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
Read the Product Disclosure Statement for more information on the various exclusions that may apply.
You can purchase a Medibank Travel Insurance policy by first comparing your options with Canstar and then generating a quote online. All you need to list is your personal details (age, length of trip, address, etc.), your pre-existing conditions and your choice of cover.
There are three ways you can lodge a claim with Medibank, including:
- Calling its claims line on 1300 362 544 and talking to one of its qualified customer service representatives
- Submitting a claim form online via its claims portal
- Posting a claims form to:
c/o Travel Insurance Partners Claims Dept
PO Box 168
North Sydney NSW 2060
Make sure you have the following documents (and details) ready:
- Policy number
- Personal details
- Supporting documentation (flight details, itinerary, receipts, etc.)
- Bank account details
Medibank was founded in 1976, and in 2016 it celebrated its 40th birthday. Medibank has won the coveted CANSTAR Award for Outstanding Value Health Insurance every year from 2008 to 2016.
Medibank members receive some great benefits, including:
- Mobile apps:Medibank members can use the Medibank Mobile App to make claims and find a healthcare provider near them, Symptom Checker to find possible causes for their symptoms and Energy Balancer to track their daily eating and exercise decisions and get easy-to-understand advice.
- flybuys points: At the time of writing, Medibank members continue to collect 10 flybuys points every time they reach 10,000 steps in one day with a linked Fitbit device, and collect triple flybuys points when they buy fresh fruit and vegetables or frozen veggies at Coles supermarkets.
- Mi Health health services:Mi Health support services include 24/7 Medibank nurse helpline for medical advice (call 1800 Mi Health or 1800 644 325), mobile health apps to keep you on track, and the Online Health Hub for online coaching programs.
- Healthy eating ideas:Delicious, healthy-eating recipes are available on the Medibank website in partnership with the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation, like this one for vegetable samosas for the lunchbox. The practical tips for healthy eating include “7 things better than an afternoon sugar hit” and “7 things better than a morning coffee”.
Medibank supports the community through the Medibank Community Fund, established in 2010 to distribute community grants, and the Medibank Health Research Fund (MHRF). For example, Medibank is committed to fighting childhood obesity by partnering with the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation National Program in schools. Medibank invests in Indigenous health and well-being by partnering with programs such as Ngurra Kujungka and Night Hoops.
Medibank is a major sponsor of events that promote health and fitness. Its sponsorships at the time of writing include the Australian Open (check out the hilarious WEPLAY video highlights), Wave Warriors Junior Surfing Challenge, the Melbourne Marathon and other marathons, fun runs and walking events (hear from everyday Melbournites on “Why I Run”).
Medibank supports the environment by reducing its carbon footprint, and only working with and supporting organisations that share this commitment. It also partners with initiatives to protect the environment, such as the 202020 Vision to achieve a 20% increase in green space in Australia’s urban areas from 2013 to 2020.