Travel Insurance Direct Travel Insurance
Compare Travel Insurance Direct travel insurance
The table below displays a snapshot of Travel Insurance Direct’s travel insurance policies on Canstar’s database, sorted by Star Rating (highest to lowest). Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a couple travelling to the USA aged under 70.
What types of travel insurance does Travel Insurance Direct offer?
Travel Insurance Direct offers both domestic and international travel insurance. Its only has one domestic policy, while international travel insurance is separated into two policies:
- The basics: A lower priced plan for travellers making a single overseas trip
- The works: A more comprehensive plan
If you’re unsure as to which kind of travel insurance is most appropriate for you, or would like to better understand the differences between the different types of cover, check out our comprehensive guide on travel insurance.
What does Travel Insurance Direct domestic travel insurance cover?
Travel Insurance Direct’s domestic travel insurance policy will cover you for cancellation costs ($10,000 single, $20,000 family), medical evacuation ($10,000 single, $20,000 family), rental vehicle insurance excess ($4,000), luggage and personal effects ($4,000 single, $8,000 family) and more.
Please note that exclusions may apply – check out the Product Disclosure Statement on Travel Insurance Direct’s website for the exclusions you might face.
What does Travel Insurance Direct international travel insurance cover?
Travel Insurance Direct has two international travel insurance policies – the works and the basics. As the more comprehensive policy, the works will cover you for:
- Emergency dental and medical expenses incurred overseas ($500 for both singles and families)
- Cancellation costs (unlimited)
- Medical evacuation (unlimited)
- Loss of luggage and person effects ($12,000 for singles, $24,000 for families)
- Rental vehicle insurance excess ($4,000) and much more
For more details about what is and isn’t covered, check out the Product Disclosure Statement on Travel Insurance Direct’s website.
Travel Insurance Direct FAQs
Yes, Travel Insurance Direct’s international travel insurance policies will cover you for overseas hospital cover. It will pay the reasonable cost of emergency medical, hospital and ambulance expenses you necessarily receive while overseas, as long as you make an effort to keep your medical expenses to a minimum.
- The works policy covers you for unlimited medical expenses and unlimited medical evacuation
- The basics covers you for up to $1 million in medical expenses and $1 million in medical evacuation
As always, various conditions and exclusions will apply. For example, you will only be covered for up to 12 months after sudden illness first appears or serious injury first occurs.
For more information, read Travel Insurance Direct’s Product Disclosure Statement.
Yes, Travel Insurance Direct will cover you up to a certain amount for replacing or reimbursing luggage and personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged while travelling.
Under Travel Insurance Direct’s domestic travel insurance policy, families are covered for up to $8,000 in lost luggage, while singles can claim up to $4,000.
Under Travel Insurance Direct’s ‘the works’ international travel insurance policy, families and singles can claim up to $24,000 and $12,000, respectively.
If you’re not sure what to do when your luggage goes missing, check out our guide on travel mishaps and how to avoid them.
Yes, Travel Insurance Direct will cover up to a certain amount for lost deposits and cancellation fees for pre-paid travel arrangements due to unforeseen circumstances outside the traveller’s control on a policy. Read the Product Disclosure Statement for more information.
You can purchase a Travel Insurance Direct travel insurance policy by first comparing your options with Canstar and then generating a quote online. This process should only take a few minutes to complete.
You can lodge a claim with Travel Insurance Direct (TID) online in a 10-step process:
- Log in with your TID password
- Select ‘make a new claim’
- Answer TID’s questions
- Describe in your own words what happened
- Answer questions specific to your claim
- List the expenses you’re claiming
- Check your emails for instructions as to what to do next
- Upload the relevant receipts and documents
- Review your claim
- Submit your claim and wait to hear back from TID
Travel Insurance Direct has been a provider of travel insurance to Australians since 2002; in 2017, one million Aussies travelled with TID.