“Make the most of your super.”
How to join Rest
You can sign up for a Rest super account online or by comparing your options with Canstar and clicking the ‘more details’ button.
Keep our tips in mind for how to choose a super fund, and always read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before you sign up for any superannuation product.
Remember to consider consolidating all of your super savings into one account. Find out how to find your lost super and how to consolidate your super. Before consolidating, check what insurances you have with each fund. Moving super from one fund to another could mean you lose some insurances, some of which you might not have known about but could really find handy if something were to happen to you.
Finally, tell your employer that you’ve joined Rest. Your employer will give you a choice of super fund form that you will need to sign and return to them.
How do the fees on Rest super compare to other funds?
The table above shows the total fee cost to have a Rest super account per year. Compare these fees to the average super fund fees on our database.
Does Rest offer an ethical investment option?
At the time of writing, Rest does not offer a super fund with a specific ethical investment option. However, they do consider environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors as part of their investment approach in general.
How can I track the growth of my Rest super account?
Members can track and manage the growth of their super account online using MemberAccess. Members can also find out the current balance of their super account in their annual statement, or by calling REST on 1300 300 778 (open Mon-Fri).
What should I check on my Rest super statement?
Be sure to check these 9 things on your superannuation statement:
- Personal details are up-to-date
- Nominated beneficiaries are up-to-date
- Tax File Number (TFN) is recorded
- Super contributions from employer and/or your voluntary contributions are correct
- Investment asset class choices are appropriate for your life stage
- Amount paid in fees
- Insurance still adequate
- Super is consolidated, after checking whether there is insurance or any other benefits attached to the account you may lose and you’re comfortable to do so
- The big picture – are you happy with your super fund overall?
When can I access my Rest super?
You can access your super at age 65, but it could be earlier at what’s known as your preservation age, which can be from 55 years up to 60 years depending on what year you were born. To access your super, typically you need to have permanently decided to stop working, or have left an employer after turning 60. Earlier access to your super is possible in certain circumstances, such as:
- If your home is being repossessed
- Cases of severe financial hardship
- On compassionate grounds if you or your dependent is diagnosed with a terminal illness needing palliative care, or if you are temporarily or permanently unable to work or need to work fewer hours due to a physical or mental medical condition, or if you are disabled and need to modify your home or car to meet your needs, or if you need help to pay for the funeral expenses of a dependant
- If your super balance is less than $200
Can I get the Age Pension as well as Rest super?
You may be able to receive a full or part-pension from Centrelink depending on your level of assets (including super and account-based pension balance) and income (including from any account-based pension you may have and how much income your super is assumed to be able to pay you). Find out how the Age Pension works and how much you can receive in super before your pension is affected.
Rest was founded in 1988 as the Retail Employees Superannuation Trust. About 1 in 6 working Aussies (1.9 million people as of the 2017 annual report) hold their super with Rest.
Rest’s other brainchild is The Hub, a place to find all the information and education about superannuation you could ever want.
Rest offers a range of additional member benefits such as discounts on AIG travel insurance, experience gift vouchers from RedBalloon, HCF health insurance, ME Bank banking products, and personal financial advice about your super future with Rest advice.