“Driving your future.”
What MTAA Super offers
The inclusions below represent a selection of what is covered. Additional conditions may apply to different features. CANSTAR is not making any suggestion or recommendation to you about this product. Please ensure that you read the product disclosure statement to determine all the current policy options and inclusions for the product you are considering.
- 8 managed funds available. Unlimited free investment switches.
- Life insurance, TPD insurance, and income protection insurance available within super.
- Online access to account details.
- Financial advice is offered through Industry Fund Services.
How to join MTAA Super
You can sign up for an MTAA Super account online or complete a hard copy application form and post it in.
Keep our tips in mind for how to choose a super fund, and always read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before you sign up for any superannuation product.
Remember to consider consolidating all of your super savings into one account. Find out how to find your lost super and how to consolidate your super. Before consolidating, check what insurances you have with each fund. Moving super from one fund to another could mean you lose some insurances, some of which you might not have known about but could really find handy if something were to happen to you.
Finally, tell your employer that you’ve joined MTAA Super. Your employer will give you a choice of super fund form that you will need to sign and return to them.
How do the fees on MTAA Super compare to other funds?
The table above shows the total fee cost to have a MTAA Super account per year. Compare these fees to the average super fund fees on our database.
Does MTAA Super offer an ethical investment option?
At the time of writing, MTAA Super does not offer a super fund with a specific ethical investment option. However, they do consider environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors as part of their investment approach in general.
How can I track the growth of my MTAA Super account ?
Members can track and manage the growth of their super account online using the Member SuperSite for those with a super account, or e-Pension for those with an account-based pension. Members can also find out the current balance of their super account in their annual statement, or by calling MTAA Super on 1300 362 415 (open Mon-Fri).
What should I check on my MTAA Super statement?
Be sure to check these 9 things on your superannuation statement:
- Personal details are up-to-date
- Nominated beneficiaries are up-to-date
- Tax File Number (TFN) is recorded
- Super contributions from employer and/or your voluntary contributions are correct
- Investment asset class choices are appropriate for your life stage
- Amount paid in fees
- Insurance still adequate
- Super is consolidated, after checking whether there is insurance or any other benefits attached to the account you may lose and you’re comfortable to do so
- The big picture – are you happy with your super fund overall?
When can I access my MTAA Super?
You can access your super at age 65, but it could be earlier at what’s known as your preservation age, which can be from 55 years up to 60 years depending on what year you were born. To access your super, typically you need to have permanently decided to stop working, or have left an employer after turning 60. Earlier access to your super is possible in certain circumstances, such as:
- If your home is being repossessed
- Cases of severe financial hardship
- On compassionate grounds if you or your dependant is diagnosed with a terminal illness needing palliative care, or if you are temporarily or permanently unable to work or need to work less hours due to a physical or mental medical condition, or if you are disabled and need to modify your home or car to meet your needs, or if you need help to pay for the funeral expenses of a dependant
- If your super balance is less than $200
Can I get the Age Pension as well as MTAA Super?
You may be able to receive a full or part-pension from Centrelink depending on your level of assets (including super and account-based pension balance) and income (including from any account-based pension you may have and how much income your super is assumed to be able to pay you). Find out how the Age Pension works and how much you can receive in super before your pension is affected.
About MTAA Super
MTAA Super was founded in 1989 as the national industry super fund for motor trades and the allied industries. They serve around 248,000 Aussie workers and 53,000 employers as of their 2015-16 annual report.
Source: MTAA Super
MTAA Super supports the community with a continued partnership with readthesigns, a program that teaches employers to see the signs of depression in their employees, and encourages depressed employees to seek help. This program was created by MTAA Super and Lifeline Australia in 2004 as a suicide prevention measure, because MTAA Super was concerned about the high rate of suicide deaths in the motor trades and allied industries. 25% of deaths are caused by suicide for young Aussie males aged 15-24 years old, which includes many young men in the motor trades.
Other community initiatives from MTAA Super include fundraising for Australian Red Cross Blood Services, Movember, and the Mother’s Day Classic Fun Run. On the motoring side, MTAA Super partnered with TeamVortex and Craig Lowndes in 2016 for the new Supercars team, a sister team to Red Bull Racing Australia.
To protect our environment, MTAA Super switched to online statements for all members in 2015-16, as well as continuing to conserve energy and recycle. They have also integrated environmental, social and governance (ESG) risk management into their investment philosophy.