Australian Ethical Super
Compare Australian Ethical Super
If you’re considering Australian Ethical Super, check out what’s available below in our comparison table based on a super balance of $55K to $100K. To compare Australian Ethical Super with other super funds, visit the Canstar super fund comparison pages.
Types of Australian Ethical Super accounts
Australian Ethical Super offers three retirement-related products to choose from:
- Corporate super arranged by an employer for their employees to use
- Personal super available for individual employees
- Account-based pension converts superannuation into regular income payments for retirees and workers in the transition to retirement (TTR) stage
There are a lot of benefits available to Australian Ethical Super members who have a personal super account, including:
- Ethical investment options with both positive screening (investing in companies that make a positive impact for the world, e.g. clean energy, medical solutions, innovative technology, education, and recycling companies) and negative screening (avoiding investment in companies that hurt the planet, e.g. slave labour and asylum seeker detention companies)
- Competitive investment performance (higher returns over 10 years than for non-ethical investing)
- Not-for-profit super fund (all profits returned to, or for the benefit of, members)
- Insurance in super available for death cover (life insurance), and total and permanent disability (TPD) cover
- Easy online account access
- Over-the-phone financial advice available
Eligibility to join Australian Ethical Super
To sign up for a superannuation account with Australian Ethical Super, you must be able to satisfy the following criteria:
- You must be an Australian resident
- You must be over 18 years of age
- You must be earning at least $450/month before tax from an employer
If you are under the age of 18, but earning more than $450/month before tax, you must be working more than 30 hours per week to qualify for super.
How to join Australian Ethical Super
If you satisfy all of the above eligibility criteria, then you can apply to join Australian Ethical Super. You can sign up for an Australian Ethical Super account by by clicking on their products in Canstar’s superannuation comparison tables and then signing up online on their website (they say it takes less than 3 minutes), or calling them on 1300 134 337 (open Mon-Fri).
Australian Ethical Super FAQs
Yes, Australian Ethical Super has a dedicated online portal for their super fund members. You can view your account balance online, access statements for your account, download super fund information, and more.
The money in your Australian Ethical Super super account is invested by your super fund. They offer a variety of ethical investment options that focus on people and community, quality, and sustainability.
When choosing an investment option, it is important to take into your account investment timeframes and goals, and your personal risk tolerance for market fluctuations. Learn more about how to choose between different investment options on the Canstar website.
Yes, Australian Ethical Super offers a consolidation service for members who have super in other funds.
It’s important to check with your old super funds for information regarding costs such as exit fees and insurance cover you may lose if you switch super funds. If you have any questions or concerns about the rollover process, give Australian Ethical Super a call on 1300 134 337.
Be sure to check these 9 things on your superannuation statement:
- Personal details are up-to-date
- Nominated beneficiaries are up-to-date
- Tax File Number (TFN) is recorded
- Super contributions from employer and/or your voluntary contributions are correct
- Investment asset class choices are appropriate for your life stage
- Amount paid in fees for the year is not too high
- Insurance in super is still adequate coverage for your needs
- Super is consolidated, after checking whether there is insurance or any other benefits attached to the account you may lose and you’re comfortable to do so
- The big picture – are you happy with your super fund overall?
Founded in 1986, today Australian Ethical Super is Australia’s fastest-growing super fund and has more than 30,000 members.
Australian Ethical Super rely on their Ethical Charter, which is a series of statements that guide both the positive side and negative side of their approach, and has remained unchanged since 1986.
By seeking out positive investments that support people, quality and sustainability, and avoiding investments that harm people, animals, society or the environment, Australian Ethical Super can help members feel good about where the money from their super is being invested.
The company also engages with the companies they invest in, so if something doesn’t align with their ethical values, they will make contact will that company in an effort to correct it.
If you’re considering top performing superannuation funds, check out the following table which contains details of the superannuation funds rated by Canstar. This table has been sorted by one-year performance (highest to lowest).
Please note that the performance information shown in the table is for the investment option used by Canstar in rating of the superannuation product.