BHP Billiton Superannuation
If you’re thinking of switching funds, have a look at some of the funds currently on Canstar’s database.
To compare other super funds suited to your life stage and preferences, visit the Canstar super fund comparison pages.
Types of BHP Billiton superannuation accounts
BHP Billiton offers one authorised MySuper product, which itself offers 23 different investment options.
There are several benefits available to BHP Billiton members who have a personal super account, including:
- A wide variety of investment options
- Access to the Plum Members Benefits Program
- Easy online account access
Eligibility to join BHP Billiton superannuation
To sign up for a superannuation account with BHP Billiton, you must be able to satisfy the following criteria:
- You must be 18 or older
- You must be an Australian resident
- You must be an employee of BHP Billiton
How to join BHP Billiton superannuation
When you begin employment with BHP Billiton, you’ll automatically be set up with a BHP Billiton superannuation account. If you’re an existing employee who isn’t with BHP Billiton, you can contact your HR representative in order to be set up with an account.
BHP Billiton Superannuation FAQs
Yes, BHP Billiton has a dedicated online portal for their super fund members. You can view your account balance online, access statements for your account, download super fund information, and more.
The money in your BHP Billiton super account is invested by your super fund. As mentioned, they offer 21 different investment options for members to choose from.
When choosing an investment option, it is important to take into your account investment time frames and goals, and your personal risk tolerance for market fluctuations. Learn more about how to choose between different investment options on the Canstar website.
Yes, BHP Billiton offers a consolidation service for members who have super in other funds. It is free of charge and they do the rollover of your super for you.
It’s important to check with your old super funds for information regarding costs such as exit fees and any insurance cover you may lose if you switch super funds. If you have any questions or concerns about the rollover process, give BHP Billiton a call on 1300 22 2472.
Be sure to check these 9 things on your superannuation statement:
- Personal details are up-to-date
- Nominated beneficiaries are up-to-date
- Tax File Number (TFN) is recorded
- Super contributions from employer and/or your voluntary contributions are correct
- Investment asset class choices are appropriate for your life stage
- Amount paid in fees for the year is not too high
- Insurance in super is still adequate coverage for your needs
- Super is consolidated, after checking whether there is insurance or any other benefits attached to the account you may lose and you’re comfortable to do so
- The big picture – are you happy with your super fund overall?
BHP Billiton is an Australian resources company, which operates internationally but is based in Melbourne. While their company’s main purpose is resource extraction, they have stringent guidelines outlining their dedication to sustainability and environmentally friendly practices.
BHP Billiton was formed as the result of a merger between the two companies; Billiton started as a mining company in the Dutch East Indies in 1851, and BHP was floated in 1885 with its head offices in Melbourne. The agreement to merge the two companies was reached in 2001, and since then BHP Billiton has been one of the largest resources companies in both Australia and the world.