There’s a game on my iPhone called ‘Small Street’ that I must confess I’m slightly addicted to playing. In the game, you build a street’s worth of buildings one at a time (hence the name) – as well as a mix of townhouses for people to live in, and businesses for people to work at. You hire people to work in different businesses according to their skill level for each industry.
One of the things I like about the game is that every person has a “perfect match”, a job that they are 100% suited to. But not everybody’s perfect match business has been built yet, so in the meantime everyone gets assigned to a job in the industry they’re most suited for.
Now, we know that you can make any job meaningful if you decide to. But there’s no denying that the job search process can be stressful, and there are so many different job boards out there that no one could possibly register for them all. To help you out, we’ve scoured the web to find the best hunting grounds for your industry.
General Job Search
On these free job boards, employers list legitimate job vacancies directly or through a recruitment agency:
- Byron Employment Australia
- Simply Hired
- JobSearch Australia
- ApplyNow.com.au: The parent website for NFP Jobs.com.au and BlueCollar.com.au.
- Gumtree: Find jobs with small businesses.
- Glassdoor: Read employee reviews and salary reports for a company before you apply to work for them.
- Jobrapido: Search by state or territory.
- Gigajob: We included this one because of their funny name.
Recruitment companies are another place to look for good quality job boards:
- Hays Recruitment
- Michael Page Recruitment
- Randstad Australia Recruitment
- Chandler Macleod Group
- Adecco Australia
- Manpower Recruiter
- Australian Recruiting
- ABT Recruitment
- Pivotal HR Management Solutions
- Bluestone Recruitment
There are also some job databases that are designed specifically for university graduates:
Having difficulty choosing a career? Take a career quiz:
Government and Defence
Federal government and defence jobs:
- Australian Local Government Job Directory
- Australian Public Service Jobs
- Australian Public Service Graduate Programs
- JobActive: Australian Job Search
- Defence Recruitment: Civilian and Military jobs.
State local government and council jobs:
- NSW Government Jobs
- Victoria: Government Vacancies
- SmartJobs: Queensland Government jobs portal
- Jobs SA
- Jobs ACT Government
- Jobs WA
- Careers with the Tasmanian Government
- Careers in Government: Northern Territory
NGO and Community Work
Want to make a difference in the world? You can see whether paid positions are available with the charity you feel most called to, but if they don’t having anything currently, try these community work hubs:
- EthicalJobs.com.au: Jobs working for the community, the environment, not-for-profit, and social work. This site can search for jobs in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide specifically.
- HAC Jobs: Social work, community, health, and not-for-profit jobs in Australia.
- NGO Recruitment: Non-government organisation jobs.
- Trans Remote Assistance: Serve Australia’s remote Aboriginal communities.
- JobSeeker Government site: Jobs in community work, youth, and disability.
Health, Nursing Care, and Fitness
- Australian Healthcare and Hospitals Association
- Doctor Connect: The government’s website for work options for doctors.
- Wavelength: Claims to be the largest medical recruitment agency in Australia.
- Nursing Careers Allied Health: Nursing jobs.
- Nursing Jobs Australia: Nursing jobs in Australia or overseas.
- CareCareers: Try their career quiz to see which part of the disability or aged care industry you would be best suited for. (It is scarily accurate!)
- JobServe: Jobs in healthcare, IT, and engineering.
- Jobs4Careers: Australia’s number one site for pharmacy jobs. Specialises in jobs in pharmacy, physiotherapy, and dentistry.
- PsychXchange: The official Australian Psychological Society (APS) site for psychology jobs.
- Indigo Medical Consulting: Medical jobs.
- Sportspeople: Jobs in fitness, sports coaching, aquatics, and venues and events.
Teaching and Childcare
- Teachers On Net
- UniJobs: Jobs teaching as a tutor or lecturer at a university, and jobs for students studying at university.
- Xpatjobs: Jobs in Australia for translators, multilingual workers, languages other than English, and English teachers.
- Find a Babysitter: Jobs as a nanny or babysitter.
Engineering and Information Technology (IT)
- Engineer Jobs: Engineering jobs.
- Australia Wide Personnel: Jobs in all types of engineering, including IT and science.
- Apply Direct: IT: IT jobs.
- Finite: IT Jobs.
- The Drive Project: A not-for-profit platform to help IT graduates find jobs globally and locally. They focus on helping company clients and job hunting graduates find “long-term partnerships with meaning, purpose and vision.”
- ARN: IT jobs and technology industry news.
- Peoplebank: IT jobs across the Asia-Pacific region. Fill in your Candidate profile and sign up for job alerts.
- Techstaff: Australia’s longest-running provider of IT/technical and science professionals.
- Coachwood: IT and management jobs in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, Adelaide, and Perth.
- Interlogic: IT jobs.
- JobServe: Jobs in IT, engineering, and healthcare.
Legal Profession and Finance
- Law Societies: Most of the Law Societies for each state and territory have a job search function on their website, or you can get in touch to find out what local vacancies they know of.
- Legal Aid: Also a good place to ask about jobs and clerkships.
- Beyond Law Job Hub
- Pro Bono Australia
- RRRLaw: Legal profession jobs in Rural, Regional, and Remote areas.
- eFinancialCareers: Finance jobs.
- ArtsHub: Jobs in the arts, the cultural industry, or the creative industries.
- Mumbrella: Jobs in the creative industries feature more heavily here than on other sites, although they also offer jobs in many other industries.
- B&T: A great site for designers, PR and marketing, digital projects, and creative account managers.
- Australian Infront: A great resource for graphic designers, digital designers, and communications.
- Creative Foyer: Features Australia Council jobs in the arts, including music, theatre, visual arts, and film / screen.
- Creative Pool: This site has a job search board and also functions as a networking tool for companies and individuals.
- Freelance Factory: Search for freelance contracts.
- Get Artisan: Create a Candidate profile and search for jobs in a specific subset of the creative industries: creative director or art director, account manager, digital designer, marketing manager, production artist or manager, or web developer.
- Ozlance: Australian freelancer listings.
- Pedestrian Jobs: Jobs in the creative industries are the main focus, but they also include jobs in the not-for-profit, hospitality, sports and recreation industries
- Rachel’s List: Jobs in media.
- The Loop: Focusses on creative industries jobs in Sydney and Melbourne.
- Simply Hired: Freelance: Simply Hired has jobs for everyone, but this is specifically their Freelance page, which will probably be most relevant for the creative industries.
- Adcorp: Jobs for communications and advertising roles including branding, creative, digital, events and PR/media, research, and TV.
- COMJobs: Jobs for communications professionals including journalism, editing, media, PR, and marketing.
Science and Environment
- ChemSkill: Science and chemistry jobs.
- Research Gate: Science and research jobs.
- SciencePeople Recruitment: Science jobs, with recruiters who have more experience in the science industries than most competitors.
- Environmental Jobs: Jobs in environmental fields.
- NRMjobs: Environmental jobs. These guys have donated more than $50,000 to environmental groups and projects in their local area.
- Mine Jobs: Mining and environmental management jobs.
- Australia Wide Personnel: Jobs in science, engineering, and IT.
- Techstaff: Australia’s leading provider of science and technical professionals.
- Programmed Professionals (Mosaic Recruitment): Jobs for support staff at all levels, from administration to personal assistant.
- Clarius Group: Specialises in jobs in administration, sales, and marketing.
- SalonStaff: Australia’s number one source for jobs in the hair and beauty industry.
- Accor Jobs: Jobs and traineeships with Accor hotels in hospitality, catering, and support roles.
- inPlace Recruitment: Jobs in hospitality, travel, and tourism.
Trades, Transport, and Manufacturing
- BlueCollar.com.au: Jobs for blue-collar workers in trades, transport, mining, manufacturing, warehousing, and agriculture.
- Skilled: Jobs in trades and maintenance, production, and distribution.
Temp Jobs for Casual or Seasonal Workers
- Working in Australia: Jobs for migrants in Australia.
- Jobaroo: Jobs for visitors with a working Visa.
- UniJobs: Semester jobs for students studying at university.
- Repforce Plus: Sales jobs.
And don’t forget your super
Don’t forget to check that whichever industry you end up working in, your superannuation fund is up to scratch when it comes to protecting the hard-earned money you’ve set aside for your retirement. Choosing a super fund is not like choosing which shoes you wear to work – you’re choosing which company will invest your retirement savings for you – as well as , potentially, which fund you will entrust with at least some of your personal insurance.
Investigate your options on our comparison website to make a shortlist of funds that might suit your personal situation. We have provided a snapshot of the current market below in our comparison table. Please note that this table is sorted by our star rating (highest to lowest, A-Z) and is based on the policy holder being aged between 30 and 39. You can try this tool for yourself here.