Australian Unity Health Insurance
Compare Australian Unity Health Insurance
Here’s a snapshot of Australian Unity’s current hospital and extras health cover for a single male living in NSW. The results are sorted by estimated monthly premium (lowest to highest).
To compare other health insurance policies, please click here.
Australian Unity FAQs
Choosing a health insurance policy can be a difficult task. Below, we answer some of the most frequently asked questions about Australian Unity health insurance.
You can sign up for a health insurance policy with Australian Unity online. If you have questions, you can use the online chat function on the website to contact a customer service representative, or you can call Australian Unity on 13 29 39 (open Mon-Fri) or +61 3 8682 7000.
Yes. You can manage your Australian Unity health insurance policy online, or using the mobile app, or you can have your policy documents mailed, emailed, or faxed to you.
Yes. Your health insurance does not cover you overseas. If you are travelling overseas, you need travel insurance. Australian Unity also offers travel insurance, and you can compare travel policies on the Canstar website.
And vice versa – travel insurance only covers you while you are away from home on a trip. While you are in Australia, you need health insurance if you want to be covered for private healthcare costs. Find out more about the difference between health insurance and travel insurance here.
You can compare travel insurance on the Canstar website:
Australian Unity Extras Cover and Australian Unity Hospital & Extras Cover both include a benefit for general dental treatment and preventative dental care as standard. The level of cover you need will depend on the complexity and cost of the dental procedures you would like to have covered.
Once you’ve received medical treatment or made a purchase covered by your policy, the next step is to make a claim. There are several ways you can lodge a claim with Australian Unity:
- On-the-spot: Around 20,000 Australian specialist providers have the HICAPS electronic claim system – just make sure you remember to bring your Australian Unity health insurance membership card to process the claim immediately.
- Mobile app: Make claims using the Australian Unity mobile app. Simply take a photo of your receipt using your smartphone and submit the claim for a benefit instantly (requires connection via mobile data or WiFi).
- Online: Log into your Australian Unity account to make your claim online. Simply enter the details found on your receipt, and have your BSB and bank account number ready for immediate transfer of your benefit from Australian Unity into your bank account.
- By Post: You can fill out a claim form, attach your invoice and receipt from the specialist provider, and post this paperwork to:
Australian Unity Healthcare
114 Albert Road
South Melbourne VIC 3205
Australian Unity will then make the payment, either by bank transfer or by sending you a cheque.
- Over the phone: If you have any questions or need help filling out your claim form, call Australian Unity to get your claim processed over the phone: 1800 807 144 (open Mon-Fri).
Australian Unity offers Working Visa Health Cover for those visiting Australia on a working visa. They include benefits such as emergency ambulance services, in-hospital doctor and specialist consultations, overnight accommodation, day surgery, and theatre fees. Find out more by comparing working visa health cover on our website:
Australian Unity was founded in 1840 and employs more than 7,000 people around the country to serve almost 1 million members. In 2014, Australian Unity celebrated its 175th anniversary. Australian Unity is one of the 15 not-for-profit Members Own Health Funds in Australia, meaning profits are returned to members in the form of cheaper premiums.
Some of the benefits that Australian Unity members receive include (current as of February 2017):
- Australian Unity members have access to 10% off the cost of home and contents insurance, car insurance, landlord insurance, and travel insurance.
- Tickets with a 30% discount to see the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra.
Source: Australian Unity
The Australian Unity Foundation was founded in 2006 to support the community. They are a major corporate supporter of Suited for Success, which donates business clothes to homeless people to wear to job interviews. In 2016, they launched the mental health program MindStep, and distributed more than $800,000 to support Australian communities.
Australian Unity also prides themselves on protecting the environment. They have invested hundreds of millions of dollars in designing their retirement villages to be sustainable, with a focus on open spaces to increase the well-being of residents.