CUA Health Insurance
Compare CUA Health Insurance
Here’s a snapshot of CUA’s current hospital only health cover for a single male living in NSW. The results are sorted by estimated monthly premium (lowest to highest) along with links direct the provider’s website.
To compare other health insurance policies, please click here.
Health Insurance FAQs
Choosing a health insurance policy can be a difficult task. Below, we answer some of the most frequently asked questions about CUA health insurance.
You can sign up for CUA health insurance by comparing health insurance on our health insurance comparison pages and clicking on one of their products.
If you need help applying, you can visit a CUA branch in person around Australia (click here to find your nearest centre), or you can call CUA on 133 282 (open 7 days Mon-Sun).
Yes. CUA have a number of options to manage your policy; however, it’s encouraged that members manage their policy online. If you want to visit a CUA banking centre, they will print out or send you policy documents, tax statements, and other communications.
Yes. Your health insurance does not cover you overseas. If you are travelling overseas, you need travel insurance. CUA also offers travel insurance, and you can compare travel policies on the Canstar website.
And vice versa – travel insurance only covers you while you are away from home on a trip. While you are in Australia, you need health insurance if you want to be covered for private healthcare costs. Find out more about the difference between health insurance and travel insurance here.
You can compare travel insurance on the Canstar website:
CUA Extras Cover and CUA Hospital & Extras Cover both include a dental benefit as standard. The level of cover you need will depend on the complexity and cost of the dental procedures you would like to have covered.
Once you’ve received medical treatment or made a purchase covered by your policy, the next step is to make a claim. There are several ways you can lodge a claim with CUA:
- On-the-spot: Around 20,000 Australian specialist providers have the HICAPS electronic claim system – just make sure you remember to bring your CUA membership card to process the claim immediately.
- Mobile app: Make claims using the CUA mobile app. Simply take a photo of your receipt using your smartphone and submit the claim for a benefit instantly (requires connection via mobile data or WiFi).
- Online: Log into your CUA account to make your claim online. Simply enter the details found on your receipt, and have your BSB and bank account number ready for immediate transfer of your benefit from CUA into your bank account.
- By Post: You can fill out a claim form, attach your invoice and receipt from the specialist provider, and post this paperwork to:
Credit Union Australia Limited
GPO Box 100
Brisbane QLD 4001
CUA Health will then make the payment, either by bank transfer or by sending you a cheque.
CUA was founded in 1966 after the merger of a few small credit unions founded in the 1940s, including the Catholic Thrift and Loan Co-Op, the Thrift and Loan Credit Union, and the Postal Workers Co-Op Credit Union. At the time of writing, CUA is the largest customer-owned financial institution.
Over the years, CUA has won the coveted CANSTAR Award for Outstanding Value Hospital Cover in 2016 (VIC) and 2015 (QLD), and over the years they have won many other CANSTAR awards for their banking products. They were also recognised in 2011 with the WGEA’s award for Employer of Choice for Women.
CUA prides themselves on a number of community support initiatives including:
- CUA Community Care:Providing grants to schools to create veggie patches, learning tools, and playgrounds for kids, since 2011.
- School Fun Run program:Sponsoring this as a healthy alternative to school fundraising chocolate drives.
- SIDS and Kids:Fundraising for health research into SIDS and stillbirths through red nose.
CUA also partners with the Brisbane Heat Cricket Team in order to make health and fitness appealing for a younger demographic. Check out CUA’s YouTube Channel for a number of videos that aim to inspire young kids to pursue their dreams.