HCF Health Insurance
HCF is a provider of health insurance, life insurance, travel insurance, and pet insurance.
“More for members.” (HCF)
Compare HCF Health Insurance
Here’s a snapshot of HCF’s current hospital and extras health cover for a couple living in NSW. The results are sorted by estimated monthly premium (lowest to highest).
To compare other health insurance policies, please click here.
Health Insurance FAQs
Choosing a health insurance policy can be a difficult task. Below, we answer some of the most frequently asked questions about HCF health insurance.
How to join HCF health insurance
You can join HCF health insurance online, visit a branch, or call 13 13 34 (open 7 days Mon-Sun). Be sure to compare policies on our website first:
Can I manage my HCF health insurance policy online?
Yes. It’s not only recommended, but also encouraged that clients manage their HCF policy online. If you are after a printed copy, simply drop into one of their branches; otherwise, they will send you policy documents, tax statements, and other communications electronically.
Do I need HCF travel insurance if I have health insurance?
Yes. Your health insurance does not cover you overseas. If you are travelling overseas, you need travel insurance. HCF also offers travel insurance, and you can compare travel policies on the Canstar website.
And vice versa – travel insurance only covers you while you are away from home on a trip. While you are in Australia, you need health insurance if you want to be covered for private healthcare costs. Find out more about the difference between health insurance and travel insurance here.
You can compare travel insurance on the Canstar website:
Can I get dental cover with HCF health insurance?
HCF Extras Cover and HCF Hospital & Extras Cover both include a dental benefit as standard. The level of cover you need will depend on the complexity and cost of the dental procedures you would like to have covered.
How do I lodge a claim with HCF health insurance?
Once you’ve received medical treatment or made a purchase covered by your policy, the next step is to make a claim. There are several ways you can lodge a claim with HCF:
- On-the-spot: Around 20,000 Australian specialist providers have the HICAPS electronic claim system – just make sure you remember to bring your HCF membership card to process the claim immediately.
- Mobile App: Make claims using the HCF mobile app. Simply take a photo of your receipt using your smartphone and submit the claim for a benefit instantly (requires connection via mobile data or WiFi).
- Online: Log into your HCF account to make your extras claim online. Simply enter the details found on your receipt, then post the original receipt to HCF (see address below).
- Branch: Visit any one of their many branches to begin your claim. Make sure you bring your HCF membership card and original receipts.
- By Post: You can fill out a claim form, attach your invoice and receipt from the specialist provider, and post this paperwork to:
GPO Box 4242
Sydney NSW 2001
HCF will then make the payment, either by bank transfer or by sending you a cheque.
Can I get HCF Working Visa Health Cover?
HCF offers Working Visa Health Cover and their policy is fully compliant with the necessary visa conditions. It also meets the minimum requirements for health insurance for 457 visa applicants as set by the Department of Immigration. Find out more by comparing working visa health cover on our website:
HCF was founded in 1932 during the Great Depression as the Metropolitan Hospitals Contribution Scheme, making it one of the oldest Australian health funds. More than 80 years on, HCF is one of the only remaining not-for-profit funds.
HCF won the coveted CANSTAR Award for Outstanding Value Health Insurance in 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009.
HCF members receive some great benefits, including:
- Free heart checks: The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute performs free heart checks at HCF branches across Australia.
- HCF Dental Centres: Available across Australia, even in regional areas.
- HCF Eye Care Centres: Available across Australia.
- Pet insurance: 10% discount on HCF pet insurance.
- Travel insurance: 10% discount on HCF travel insurance.
- At home care: 10% discount on in-home care services in metropolitan Sydney.
- Gym: 10% discount on selected Fitness First gym memberships.
- GP2U: 15% discount on GP2U online consultations with a GP.
- Mobile apps to help your health: My Health Guardian app (online health and wellbeing program), Eyecare app (screening tools to help you assess your vision), Health Agenda app (information to inspire healthier life choices), Quit Smoking app, Get Fitter app, Be Happier app (improve mental and emotional wellbeing).
The HCF Research Foundation, founded in 2000, supports the community by striving for constant improvement of health services across Australia. HCF also supports the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
Source: HCF Australia
HCF is also committed to the environmental sustainability of its activities through its health fund, Dental Centres, and Eye Care Centres. This includes managing waste disposal carefully, minimising water and energy consumption, and more measures.
Sponsored products are paid advertisements and do not include all providers. Canstar receives a fee for referring you to the advertiser. Canstar is not giving you advice in relation to sponsored products.
Products displayed above that are not “Sponsored” are sorted by monthly premium. Canstar may receive a fee for referral of leads from these products. See How We Get Paid for further information. If you decide to apply for health insurance, you will deal directly with an insurance provider, and not with CANSTAR.
Consider the provider’s detailed product and pricing information before making a decision to purchase a policy. The products displayed on this page do not include all providers and may not compare all features relevant to you. View the Canstar Health Insurance Star Ratings Methodology and Report. The rating shown is only one factor to take into account when considering products.
The Star Ratings in this table were awarded in September, 2016 and data is as at that date, updated from time to time to reflect product changes notified to us by product issuers.