Health Care Insurance (HCI)
Health Care Insurance (HCI)
To compare other health insurance policies, please click here.
How to join Health Care Insurance
You can sign up for HCI health insurance by comparing health insurance on our health insurance comparison pages, then applying online through their website. If you need help to apply, you can all HCI on 1800 804 950 (open Mon-Fri).
Be sure to compare health insurance options before signing up for a policy:
Health Care Insurance FAQs
Yes. You can manage your HCI health insurance policy and receive policy documents online in the Member Services area.
Yes. Your health insurance does not cover you overseas. If you are travelling overseas, you need travel insurance. HCI Health Insurance does not offer travel insurance. You can compare travel policies on the Canstar website.
And vice versa – travel insurance only covers you while you are away from home on a trip. While you are in Australia, you need health insurance if you want to be covered for private healthcare costs. Find out more about the difference between health insurance and travel insurance here.
You can compare travel insurance on the Canstar website:
Yes. HCI offers dental cover as standard in their extras policies. The level of cover you need will depend on the complexity and cost of the dental procedures you would like to have covered.
Once you’ve received medical treatment or made a purchase covered by your policy, the next step is to make a claim. There are several ways you can lodge a claim with HCI:
- On-the-spot: Around 20,000 Australian specialist providers have the HICAPS electronic claim system – just make sure you remember to bring your HCI membership card to process the claim immediately.
- Mobile app: Make claims using the HCI mobile app (available for Apple or Android devices). Simply take a photo of your receipt using your smartphone and submit the claim for a benefit (requires internet connection via mobile data or WiFi).
- Online: Log into your HCI Member Services area to make your claim online. Simply enter the details found on your receipt, and have your BSB and bank account number ready for immediate transfer of your benefit from HCI into your bank account or mail a cheque.
- Email: Send claims forms together with photographs of the receipts to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: Fax claims forms together with copies of the receipts to 1800 643 969.
- At a branch: Present your membership card and original receipts to the branch in Burnie, Tasmania.
- By post: You can fill out a claim form, attach your receipt from the specialist provider, and post the paperwork to:
PO Box 931
Burnie TAS 7320
HCI will then make the payment by direct credit to your nominated bank account or send a cheque in the mail.
HCI was established in 1938 as a not-for-profit health insurer. Based in Burnie in Tasmania, HCI offers its policies across Australia with a range of online claims services available.
Source: Health Care Insurance
HCI supports its local community through sponsoring several events including the High School Surf League, Burnie Challenge race (entry fees reimbursed for members), 321-GO Kids’ Race, and the Rainbow Ball.
HCI also sponsors organisations including the FTMA, Women in Forests and Timber Network, and Rotary Club of Somerset.
To keep up-to-date with what HCI is doing, visit their their Facebook page.