myOwn Health Insurance
What’s on offer from myOwn Health Insurance?
myOwn offers hospital cover and combined hospital and extras cover. myOwn does not offer extras only cover. myOwn says its policies can be tailored to singles, couples, families and single parents.
At the time of writing, myOwn offers the following hospital policies:
- Basic Hospital – benefits include emergency ambulance and private hospital cover for accidents only.
- Bronze Hospital – benefits include joint reconstructions, cancer treatment, and cover for tonsils, adenoids and grommets.
- Bronze Plus Hospital – additional benefits include dental surgery, lung and chest, and plastic and reconstructive surgery where medically necessary.
- Silver Hospital – benefits include heart and vascular system, back, neck and spine, and podiatric surgery.
- Silver Plus Hospital – additional benefits include joint replacements, cataracts, and dialysis for chronic kidney failure.
- Silver Plus Enhanced Hospital – additional benefits include pregnancy and birth, assisted reproductive services and weight loss surgery.
- Gold Hospital – benefits include pregnancy and birth cover, weight loss surgery, and private hospital psychiatric services.
myOwn also offers the following extras policies which can be combined with certain hospital policies. These policies allow you to receive between 50% to 70% back on certain extras:
- Minimum 50 Extras – 50% back on extras (excluding optical). Benefits include general dental, optical and physical therapies.
- Everyday 55 Extras – 55% back on extras (excluding optical). Benefits include dental gap refund, optical and physical therapies.
- Lite 60 Extras – 60% back on extras (excluding optical). Benefits include general dental, optical and physical therapies.
- Mid 60 Extras – 60% back on extras (except optical and preventative health benefits). Benefits include dental gap refund, physical therapies and podiatry.
- Lite 65 Extras – 65% back on extras (excluding optical). Benefits include general dental, remedial massage and physical therapies.
- Lite 70 Extras – 70% back on extras (excluding optical). Benefits include dental gap refund, remedial massage and physical therapies.
- Comprehensive 70 Extras – 70% back on extras (except optical and preventative health benefits). Benefits include dental gap refund, physical therapies and medically prescribed appliances.
- Top 70 Extras – 70% back on extras (except optical and preventative health benefits). Benefits include dental gap refund, physical therapies and medically prescribed appliances.
myOwn offers policyholders access to AIA Vitality, a health and wellbeing program that rewards you for understanding and improving your health. At the time of writing, AIA Vitality offers up to $650 each year in shopping vouchers, up to 25% off fitness devices, up to 50% off gym memberships, and up to 50% cashback on eligible flights with Virgin Australia.
Before taking out a health insurance policy, you may first want to compare your options with Canstar. Please note that Canstar does not currently compare myOwn health insurance.
If you decide to take out a health insurance policy with myOwn, you can get a quote on its website or over the phone.
You can use myOwn’s member portal to change your details at any time or to make an extras claim. While you can change your cover at any time, myOwn says you will need to do this over the phone.
All myOwn’s combined extra policies include cover for general dental and preventative dental. You can also get coverage for major dental on certain combined extra policies. The level of dental cover you need will depend on the complexity and cost of the dental procedures you would like to have covered.
myOwn’s hospital policies from the Bronze Plus tier upwards offer cover for dental surgery.
Once you’ve received medical treatment or made a purchase covered by your policy, the next step is to make a claim. Before starting the claims process, myOwn advises that you’ll need to make sure you’re up-to-date with your premiums, you’ve served all your waiting periods, and that you’ve seen a recognised provider.
There are several ways you can lodge a claim with myOwn:
- On-the-spot: If you have extras cover, you can use your myOwn membership card to claim electronically on the spot provided your health care provider uses the HICAPS system. This will process your claim in seconds and you’ll just need to pay any difference.
- Online: You can make a claim using the myOwn member portal. myOwn says you’ll need to make your claim within two months of getting treatment and will need your receipt available to upload.
- By post: myOwn says you can either fill out and post a claim form or you can lodge your medical claims at your local Medicare office which will then be forwarded to myOwn for processing.
If the claim is approved, myOwn will then pay your claim directly into your nominated bank account.
At the time of writing, myOwn does not offer Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). If you are an international student coming to Australia on a study visa, you can compare OSHC policies available in Australia with Canstar:
At the time of writing, myOwn does not offer Working Visa Health Cover (OVHC). However, if you’re on an overseas visa and are from a country with a reciprocal healthcare agreement, you could be eligible for one of myOwn’s policies.
Compare OVHC policies on Canstar’s website: