HBF Health Insurance
HBF is a provider of health insurance, life insurance, home insurance, car insurance, and travel insurance.
“Are you with HBF?” (HBF)
Compare HBF health insurance
Here’s a snapshot of HBF health insurance current Hospital and Extras health cover for a single, 30-year-old male living in WA. The results are sorted by monthly premium (lowest to highest).
To compare other health insurance policies, please click here.
HBF health insurance FAQs
Choosing a health insurance policy can be a difficult task. Below, we answer some of the most frequently asked questions about HBF health insurance.
You can sign up for HBF health insurance by comparing health insurance on our health insurance comparison pages and signing up on their website. The HBF team are also available via email, social channels (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) or phone 133 423 (open Mon-Sat).
Or for the old-fashioned method, you can post a membership application form to HBF:
GPO Box C101
Perth WA 6839
Be sure to compare health insurance policies with Canstar before choosing a policy and signing up:
Yes. You can manage your HBF health insurance policy and receive policy documents online or through their mobile app (available on Apple’s App Store and Google Play for Android).
Unless you specifically ask for a printed copy, HBF health insurance will send you policy documents, tax statements, and other communications electronically.
Yes. Your health insurance does not cover you overseas. If you are travelling overseas, you need travel insurance. In addition to health insurance, HBF does offer travel insurance, and you can compare their travel policies on the Canstar website.
And vice versa – travel insurance only covers you while you are away from home on a trip. While you are in Australia, you need health insurance if you want to be covered for private healthcare costs. Find out more about the difference between health insurance and travel insurance here.
You can compare travel insurance on the Canstar website:
HBF offers a wide range of dental insurance coverage, ranging from general dental cover to dental implants and orthodontics cover. The level of dental coverage you receive depends on your choice of Extras policy with HBF.
Once you’ve received medical treatment or made a purchase covered by your policy, the next step is to make a claim. There are several ways you can lodge a claim with HBF:
- On-the-spot: Around 20,000 Australian specialist providers have the HICAPS electronic claim system – just make sure you remember to bring your HBF Health Insurance membership card to process the claim immediately.
- Online: Log into your myHBF account to make your claim online. Simply enter the details found on your receipt, and have your BSB and bank account number ready for immediate transfer of your benefit from HBF into your bank account or mail a cheque.
- Mobile app: Make claims using the HBF mobile app (available for Apple and Android devices). Simply take a photo of your receipt using your smartphone and submit the claim for a benefit (requires internet connection via mobile data or WiFi).
- By Post: You can fill out a claim form, attach your receipt from the specialist provider, and post the paperwork to:
GPO Box C101
Perth WA 6839
HBF will then make the payment by direct credit to your nominated bank account or by cheque.
HBF offer two health insurance options for international students visiting Australia on a study visa:
- Standard Overseas Visitors cover insures visitors with a basic level of hospital services
- Comprehensive Overseas visitors cover insures visitors with a greater range of hospital care and services
You can compare Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) on the Canstar website:
HBF offers two health insurance options for international workers visiting Australia on a temporary work visa:
- Working visa hospital cover is designed to cover in-hospital medical treatment only
- Working visa hospital and medical cover is designed to cover both in-hospital and out-of-hospital medical treatments
You can compare Working Visa Health Cover (OVHC) on the Canstar website:
HBF was established as the Metropolitan Hospital Benefit Fund in 1941 to help Western Australians cover the cost of hospital treatment. HBF is now an Australia-wide health fund that covers over 900,000 members.
HBF is a non-for-profit organisation and in addition to health insurance, it also offers life insurance, car insurance, travel insurance, home insurance, contents and personal valuables insurance, caravan insurance, trailer insurance, and boat insurance.
HBF employees give back to the community by donating over $100,000 every year to charity.
Keep up-to-date with HBF’s latest on their YouTube channel.
HBF Hospital and Extras Health Cover
Prime Health PackageView the 2016 Health Insurance Star Rating Report