HIF Health Insurance
“Your health. Your choice.” (HIF)
Compare HIF health insurance
Here’s a snapshot of HIF health insurance current Hospital only health cover for a single, 30-year-old male living in NSW. The results are sorted by star rating (highest to lowest) with links direct to the providers’ websites.
To compare other health insurance policies, please click here.
HIF health insurance FAQs
Choosing a health insurance policy can be a difficult task. Below, we answer some of the most frequently asked questions about HIF.
You can sign up for HIF by comparing health insurance on our health insurance comparison pages and clicking on one of their products.
If you need help applying, HIF offers a number of contact options. You can either fill out an online contact form or give them a call on 1300 13 40 60 (open Mon-Fri) and talk to a customer service representative.
Yes. HIF encourages their members to manage their policy and receive policy documents online. Unless you specifically ask for a printed copy, HIF will send you policy documents, tax statements and other communications through the online portal or via email.
HIF extras policies include a dental benefit as standard. The level of cover you need will depend on the complexity and cost of the dental procedures you would like to have covered.
Once you’ve received medical treatment or made a purchase covered by your policy, the next step is to make a claim. There are several ways you can lodge a claim with HIF:
- On-the-spot: Around 20,000 Australian specialist providers have the HICAPS electronic claim system – just make sure you remember to bring your HIF health insurance membership card to process the claim immediately.
- Mobile App: Make claims using the HIF SmartClaim mobile app (available for Apple and Android devices). Simply take a photo of your receipt using your smartphone and submit the claim for a benefit (requires internet connection via mobile data or WiFi).
- Online: Log into your HIF Member Centre area to make your claim online, or alternatively use the online claims form. Simply enter the details found on your receipt, and have your BSB and bank account number ready for immediate transfer of your benefit from HIF into your bank account.
- Email: You can download a claim form and send it, along with photographs of your receipts, to firstname.lastname@example.org HIF says this is a good way to fast-track your extras claim. A maximum of $700 worth of invoices per day can be claimed via email.
- By Post: You can fill out a claim form, attach your invoice and receipt from the specialist provider, and post this paperwork to:
GPO Box X2221
Perth WA 6000
HIF will then make the payment of a benefit to you if your claim is approved, either by bank transfer or by sending you a cheque.
At the time of writing, HIF does not provide overseas student health cover (OSHC) for international students visiting Australia on a student visa. You can compare OSHC policies available in Australia on the Canstar website:
Founded in 1954 as the Western Australian Government Railways (WAGR) Employees Hospital and Medical Benefits Fund Inc, HIF is now an award-winning, not-for-profit health fund.
Changing their name in 2010 to Health Insurance Fund of Australia was a major step for HIF in recognising their nationwide membership base.
HIF supports the community by sponsoring the, the Amanda Young Foundation for young people and meningococcal disease research, and the Perth Wildcats basketball team.
Dog lovers in particular might like HIF. They sponsor the Dog’s Refuge Home and their latest ad campaign in 2017, ‘Health Cover For Humans’, featured dogs as their (adorable) brand ambassadors. You can check it out on their YouTube channel.