Youi Landlord Insurance
Landlord insurance caters to the needs of landlords, providing a home insurance product specifically designed to provide property owners with protection against the financial loss that may result from owning a rental property.
Compare Youi landlord insurance
Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed at Canstar are based on a house in New South Wales.
What landlord insurance policies does Youi offer?
Youi offers three landlord insurance policies – building & contents insurance, buildings insurance, and contents insurance.
The building & contents policy covers several key risks in order to ensure peace of mind for both tenants and landlords, including:
- Cover for loss of rent – both for inhabitability after an insured event and if your tenant defaults on their payment (cover for rent default available as an optional extra).
- Cover for damage to property – including the building, shed, garage and fence – from natural disasters or malicious acts.
- Accidental glass breakage
- Legal liability – for damage to third parties occurring on your property.
- Contents including furniture and furnishings
- Keys and locks
Exclusions may apply when it comes to making a landlord insurance claim. Some common exclusions include:
- Gradual deterioration, neglect, lack of maintenance, structural failure or general wear and tear
- Pre-existing damage
- Any costs associated with the cleaning up or removal of asbestos
- Vermin or insects
- Invasion or war
- Erosion or landslides
- Any damage done during repairs or alterations being carried out on the house
For a detailed look at what may not be included on a Youi landlord insurance policy, see Youi’s Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
Youi landlord insurance FAQs
Youi’s home & contents landlord insurance policy may protect you from a loss of rental income due to a variety of factors, including:
- Inhabitability after an insured event such as a fire, flood, storm, tsunami or riot
- If your tenant defaults on their payment (available as an optional extra)
They also have temporary accommodation cover should your tenants find themselves unable to live in your house as a result of an event. See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.
See this article for a quick guide to what landlord insurance is and what it may cover you for.
A landlord insurance policy may provide you with cover should damage be caused to your rental property by tenants or their guests.
Under Youi’s building & contents landlord insurance policy, cover is included for the following:
- Damage to any buildings, sheds, garages or fences within the property line
- Damage caused by natural disasters such as fires, floods, and storms
- Damage caused by riots or civil commotions
- Damage or loss caused by theft
- Damage caused by malicious acts on the part of either a tenant or their visitors (available as an optional extra)
See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.
Landlord insurance can also protect property owners against damage to the contents they own in their investment home.
While Youi’s building and contents landlord insurance policy is the most common option for landlords and has contents cover included, Youi also offers building cover and contents cover as separate policies. For more information about the different policies, look at the Youi website.
See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.
In insurance terms, a ‘defined event’ (also known as a ‘listed event’) on a policy is a damage-causing event which you’re insured for under that policy.
Under Youi’s landlord insurance policy, you will generally be covered for the following defined events:
- Lightening or thunderbolt
- A falling tree or branch
- A riot or civil commotion
- Malicious damage
- The impact of a machine such as an aircraft or vehicle
To see a list of exclusions that may apply, see the PDS.
Flood damage can be treated as different to storm damage by certain insurers, and as a result you may not be automatically covered for it.
Youi’s building & contents landlord insurance does offer cover for flood damage, however please consult the PDS for information about exclusions and conditions that may apply.
Landlord insurance policies can also offer additional benefits to suit your unique needs as a landlord for an extra fee. Some of the additional benefits you may be able to add to your Youi landlord insurance policy include:
- Theft or malicious damage cover caused by the tenant or other people on your property.
- Fixtures and fittings upgrade
- Legal expenses
- Contents in commercial storage
- Electrical motor burnout cover in the event that an electronic device such as an air conditioner breaks due a faulty electrical current
- Pet injury
For a full list of additional and optional extras, consult the PDS.
Yes, Youi also offers home insurance in addition to landlord insurance. At the time of writing, the Youi website does not state whether they offer a multi-policy discount for consumers who take out two or more policies. In saying this, they do have a Youi App Rewards Program which compensates loyal policy holders with ‘Youidollars’ to redeem on over 1800 rewards.
See the difference between home and landlord insurance here.
The table below displays a snapshot of Youi’s home and contents insurance policies on Canstar’s database. The Star Ratings are based on a policy holder under 50 years old in New South Wales for building & contents worth less than $550,000.
You can purchase a Youi landlord insurance policy by comparing your options with Canstar and generating a quote on the Youi website. They will ask you some general questions about your personal details, the cover required, the details of the building, and any optional extras you might be after.
It shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes.
Youi was founded in November 2008 and is based on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. The company actually traces its origins back to 1998 through its sister company, OUTsurance.
At the time of writing, Youi advertises that it has an impressive 91% customer satisfaction rating on its online customer feedback Wall.
How Youi supports the community
- Youi@hand: Youi supports Red25 to donate blood through the Australian Red Cross, SCAR (Sunshine Coast Animal Refuge) to help abandoned animals become adopted into a new home, and the Compass Institute to empower young people with a disability.
- YouiVersity: Youi creates diversity in the workplace by intentionally following the principle, “Hire character, train skill.”