SGiO Landlord Insurance

SGiO is a Western Australian provider of landlord insurance as well as car insurance, home & contents insurance, and travel insurance.

Landlord insurance caters to the needs of landlords, providing a home insurance product specifically designed to provide property owners with some protection against the financial loss that may result from owning a rental property.

Compare SGiO landlord insurance

The table below displays a snapshot of SGiO’s landlord insurance policies on Canstar’s SGIO: Outstanding Value Award Winnerdatabase. Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a house in Western Australia.

Compare Landlord Insurance

What landlord insurance policies does SGiO offer?

SGiO offers three landlord insurance policies – building & contents insurance, buildings insurance, and contents insurance.

The building & contents policy covers several key risks in order to ensure peace of mind for both tenants and landlords, including:

  • Cover for loss of rent – both for inhabitability after an insured event and if your tenant defaults
  • Damage caused by natural disasters or malicious acts.
  • Accidental glass breakage
  • Legal liability – for damage to third parties occurring on your property.
  • Contents including furniture and furnishings
  • Keys and locks

Exclusions may apply when it comes to making a landlord insurance claim.  Some common exclusions include:

  • Gradual deterioration, neglect, lack of maintenance, structural failure or general wear and tear
  • Pre-existing damage
  • Any costs associated with the cleaning up or removal of asbestos
  • Vermin or insects
  • Invasion or war
  • Erosion
  • Any damage done during repairs or alterations being carried out on the house

For a detailed look at what may not be covered under an SGiO landlord insurance policy, see SGiO’s Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Compare Landlord Insurance


SGiO’s home & contents landlord insurance policy may protect you from a loss of rental income due to a variety of factors, including:

  • Inhabitability after an insured event such as a fire, flood, storm or riot etc.
  • If your tenant defaults on their payment


See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.

See this article for a quick guide to what landlord insurance is and what it may cover you for.

A landlord insurance policy may provide you with some cover should damage be caused to your investment property by tenants or their guests.

Under SGiO’s building & contents landlord insurance policy, cover is also included for the following:

  • Damage to any buildings, sheds, garages or fences within the property line
  • Damage caused by natural disasters such as fires, floods, and storms
  • Damage caused by riots or civil commotions
  • Damage caused by accidental glass breakage
  • Theft, by either a stranger or your tenant/their guest
  • Damage caused by malicious acts

See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.

Landlord insurance can also protect property owners against damage to the contents they own in their investment home.

While SGiO’s building and contents landlord insurance policy is the most common option for landlords and has contents cover included, SGiO also offers building cover and contents cover as separate policies. For more information about the different policies, look at the SGiO website.

See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.

In insurance terms, a ‘defined event’ (also known as a ‘listed event’) on a policy is a damage-causing event which you’re insured for under that policy.

Under SGiO’s landlord insurance policy, you will generally be covered for the following defined events:

  • Storm
  • Flood
  • Explosion
  • Lightening or thunderbolt
  • A falling tree or branch
  • A riot or civil commotion
  • Earthquake
  • Fire
  • Malicious damage

To see the full list of defined events and any excluded events, see the PDS.

Flood damage can be treated as different to storm damage by certain insurers, and as a result you may not be automatically covered for it.

SGiO’s building & contents landlord insurance does offer cover for flood damage, however please consult the PDS for information about exclusions and conditions that may apply.

Yes, SGiO also offers home insurance as well as landlord insurance. At the time of writing, the SGIO website does not have a multi-policy discount available with other eligible policies.

See the difference between home and landlord insurance here.

The table below displays a snapshot of SGIO’s home and contents insurance policies on Canstar’s database. The Star Ratings are based on a policy holder under 50 years old in New South Wales for building & contents worth less than $550,000.

Compare Home Insurance

You can purchase a SGiO landlord insurance policy by comparing your options with Canstar and generating a quote on the SGiO website. They will ask you general questions about your personal details, the cover required, the details of the building, and any optional extras you might be after.

It shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes.

Compare Landlord Insurance

SGiO is a Western Australian-based insurance provider backed by the Insurance Australia Group (IAG). With 90+ years of experience in the state, SGiO is one of the most trusted and experienced providers in Western Australia.

SGiO also has a community grants program that focuses on road safety, crime prevention, emergency readiness and response partnerships.

Written by: Regina Collins | Last updated: