ANZ Landlord Insurance

ANZ is a provider of landlord insurance as well as car insurance, home & contents insurance, credit cards, home loans, superannuation, travel insurance, life insurance and income protection.

Landlord insurance caters to the needs of landlords, providing a home insurance product specifically designed to provide property owners with protection against the financial loss that may result from owning a rental property.

ANZ landlord insurance is issued by QBE and distributed by ANZ (under its own license). Read the ANZ landlord insurance product disclosure statement (PDS) and target market determination (TMD) on ANZ’s website for the full terms, conditions and exclusions and to decide if the product is right for you.

Compare ANZ landlord insurance

The table below displays a snapshot of ANZ’s landlord insurance policies on Canstar’s database. Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a house in New South Wales.

Compare Landlord Insurance

What landlord insurance policies does ANZ offer?  

ANZ offers three landlord insurance policies – building & contents insurance, buildings insurance, and contents insurance.  

The building & contents policy covers several key risks to ensure peace of mind for both tenants and landlords, including: 

  • Cover for loss of rent – both for inhabitability after an insured event, and if your tenant defaults on their payment or dies. 
  • Cover for damage caused by natural disasters or a malicious act.  
  • Accidental glass breakage   
  • Legal liability – for damage to third parties occurring on your property.  
  • Contents cover including furniture and furnishings  
  • Keys and locks 

Exclusions may apply when it comes to making a landlord insurance claim.  Some common exclusions include:  

  • Gradual deterioration, neglect, lack of maintenance, structural failure or general wear and tear 
  • Pre-existing damage  
  • Any costs associated with the cleaning up or removal of asbestos 
  • Vermin or insects  
  • Invasion or war 
  • Erosion  
  • Any damage done during repairs or alterations being carried out on the house where the estimated value of said repairs is over $100,000 

For a detailed look at what may not be covered under an ANZ landlord insurance policy, see ANZ’s Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).  


ANZ’s landlord insurance policy may protect you from a loss of rental income due to a variety of factors, including:  

  • Your tenant leaving before the end of the tenancy period without notice  
  • Your tenant being legally evicted 
  • Inhabitability after an insured event such as a fire, flood, storm, tsunami or riot 

The maximum amount ANZ will pay you for loss of rent under the buildings cover section of your policy is the weekly rental amount listed on your policy up to a maximum of 12 weeks.  

The maximum amount ANZ will pay you for loss of rent under the contents cover section of your policy is 12 months’ rent, capped at $52,000.  

See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.  

See this article for a quick guide to what landlord insurance is and what it may cover you for.  


A landlord insurance policy may provide you with cover should damage be caused to your rental property by tenants or their guests.  

Under ANZ’s building & contents landlord insurance policy, cover is included for the following:  

  • Damaged caused to any buildings, sheds, garages or fences within the property line 
  • Damage caused by natural disasters such as fires, floods, and storms 
  • Damage caused by riots or civil commotions 
  • Damage caused by accidental glass breakage 
  • Theft 
  • Malicious damage caused by either a tenant or their visitors  

See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.  


Landlord insurance can also protect property owners against damage to any contents they own in their investment home.  

While ANZ’s building and contents landlord insurance policy is the most common option for landlords and has contents cover included, ANZ also offers building cover and contents cover as separate policies. For more information about the different policies, look at the ANZ website.  

See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.  

Related Article: Should You Hire A Property Manager?

In insurance terms, a ‘defined event’ (also known as a ‘listed event’) on a policy is a damage-causing event which you’re insured for under that policy.  

Under ANZ’s landlord insurance policy, you will generally be covered for the following defined events:  

  • Storm 
  • Flood 
  • Explosion  
  • Lightning 
  • A falling tree or branch 
  • A riot or civil commotion  
  • Earthquake  
  • Fire 
  • Malicious damage 

In most cases ANZ will not cover damage caused by any of the above if the damage occurred within 48 hours of the start date of your policy.  

To see the full list of defined events, see the PDS.  


Flood damage can be treated as different to storm damage by certain insurers, and as a result you may not be automatically covered against it.  

ANZ’s building & contents landlord insurance does offer cover for flood damage, however please consult the PDS for information about exclusions and conditions that may apply.  

Yes, ANZ also offers home insurance as well as landlord insurance. By signing up for both home and landlord insurance with ANZ, you may be eligible to receive up to a 12.5% multi-policy discount on your premium.  

See the difference between home and landlord insurance here. 

You can purchase an ANZ landlord insurance policy by comparing your options with Canstar and generating a quote on the ANZ website. They will ask you some general questions about your personal details, the cover required, the details of the building, and any optional extras you might be after.  

It shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes.

Compare Landlord Insurance

ANZ has a long history, founded in 1835 in London and Sydney as the Bank of Australasia and moving into Melbourne in 1838. As one of the Big 4 Banks in Australia, ANZ is the largest banking group in the Pacific and New Zealand region, and is ranked among the top 50 banks in the world. 

To help Australians learn better money skills, ANZ created the free, online MoneyMinded education course, used by 360,000 people in 2015 alone. It really works – seven out of 10 people who completed MoneyMinded said they felt less stressed about their financial future. And of course, everyone can benefit from their Money Minded Monday series of handy hints videos (available on YouTube). 

ANZ supports the Australian community through initiatives such as the GIVE program, which stands for ANZ’s activities in Giving, Investing, Volunteering, and Emergency Relief, and funding worthy causes through three types of community grants. ANZ also supports the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions, using more than 80% renewable energy, sustainable sourcing, and recycling waste (Sustainability highlights, 2015). 

Compare Landlord Insurance

Written by: Regina Collins | Last updated: April 4, 2018