QBE Landlord Insurance

QBE is a provider of landlord insurance as well as car insurance, home & contents insurance, and travel insurance.

Landlord insurance caters to the needs of landlords, providing a home insurance product specifically designed to provide property owners with some protection against the financial loss that may result from owning a rental property.

Compare QBE landlord insurance

The table below displays a snapshot of QBE’s landlord insurance policies on Canstar’s database, with links to the provider’s website. Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a house in New South Wales.


Compare Landlord Insurance

What landlord insurance policies does QBE offer?

QBE offers three landlord insurance policies – building & contents insurance, buildings insurance, and contents insurance.

The building & contents policy covers several key risks in order to ensure peace of mind for both tenants and landlords, including:

  • Cover for loss of rent – both for inhabitability after an insured event and if your tenant defaults on their payment (rent default is available as an optional extra).
  • Damage caused by natural disasters or malicious acts.
  • Accidental glass breakage
  • Legal liability – for damage to third parties occurring on your property.
  • Contents including furniture and furnishings
  • Keys and locks

Exclusions may apply when it comes to making a landlord insurance claim.  Some common exclusions include:

  • Gradual deterioration, neglect, lack of maintenance, structural failure or general wear and tear
  • Pre-existing damage
  • Any costs associated with the cleaning up or removal of asbestos
  • Vermin or insects
  • Invasion or war
  • Erosion
  • Any damage done during repairs or alterations being carried out on the house

For a detailed look at what may not be covered under a QBE landlord insurance policy, see QBE’s Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Compare Landlord Insurance


QBE’s  landlord insurance policies may protect you from a loss of rental income due to a variety of factors, including:

  • Inhabitability after an insured event such as a fire, flood, storm or riot etc.
  • If your tenant defaults on their payment (optional extra)

The maximum amount/period of time QBE will compensate you for loss of rent is the lesser of the following:

  • The time it takes to repair or replace your property
  • 12 months
  • 10% of your sum insured

See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.

See this article for a quick guide to what landlord insurance is and what it may cover you for.

A landlord insurance policy may provide you with cover should damage be caused to your rental property by tenants or their guests.

Under QBE’s building & contents landlord insurance policy, cover is included for the following:

  • Damage caused to any buildings, sheds, garages or fences within the property line
  • Damage caused by natural disasters such as fires, floods, and storms
  • Damage caused by riots or civil commotions
  • Damage caused by accidental glass breakage
  • Theft (not by tenant, theft by tenant available as an optional extra)
  • Malicious damage (damage caused by tenant available as an optional extra)

See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.

Landlord insurance can also protect property owners from damage that can occur to the contents they own in their investment home.

While QBE’s building and contents landlord insurance policy is the most common option and has contents cover included, QBE also offers building cover and contents cover on their own as well. For more information about the different policies, look at the QBE website.

See the Product Disclosure Statement for more information on possible exclusions.

In insurance terms, a ‘defined event’ (also known as a ‘listed event’) on a policy is a damage-causing event which you’re insured for under that policy.

Under QBE’s landlord insurance policy, you will generally be covered for the following defined events:

  • Storm
  • Flood
  • Explosion
  • Lightening or thunderbolt
  • A falling tree or branch
  • A riot or civil commotion
  • Earthquake
  • Fire
  • Malicious damage

To see the full list of defined events, see the PDS.

Flood damage can be treated as different to storm damage by certain insurers, and as a result you may not be automatically covered for it.

QBE’s building & contents landlord insurance policy does offer cover for flood damage, however please consult the PDS for information about exclusions and conditions that may apply.

Yes, QBE also offers home insurance as well as landlord insurance. At the time of writing, the QBE website does not have a multi-policy discount available with other eligible policies.

See the difference between home and landlord insurance here.

The table below displays a snapshot of QBE’s home and contents insurance policies on Canstar’s database. The Star Ratings are based on a policy holder under 50 years old in New South Wales for building & contents worth less than $550,000.

Compare Home Insurance

You can purchase a QBE landlord insurance policy by comparing your options with Canstar and generating a quote on the QBE website. They will ask you some general questions about your personal details, the cover required, the details of the building, and any optional extras you might be after.

It shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes.

Compare Landlord Insurance

QBE began because of the ambition of two young Scotsmen named James Burns and Robert Philp, who were partners in a shipping business. They founded the North Queensland Insurance Company Ltd (QI) in 1886 and then the Bankers’ and Traders’ Insurance Company (B&T) in 1921.

Today, QBE has been in operation for 130 years and is one of the world’s top 20 general insurance and reinsurance companies. They employ more than 14,500 people in 37 countries.

QBE supports the community in a number of ways. The QBE Foundation directly supports charities to help people overcome disadvantage and live independently, such as Assistance Dogs Australia, Foodbank, The Kids’ Cancer Project, Camp Quality, and The Big Issue.

Written by: Regina Collins | Last updated: