CommInsure Landlord Insurance

CommInsure is a provider of landlord insurance as well as car insurance, home & contents insurance and travel insurance.

Landlord insurance caters to the needs of landlords, providing a home insurance product specifically designed to provide property owners with some protection against the financial loss that may result from owning a rental property.  

Compare CommInsure landlord insurance  

The table below displays a snapshot of CommInsure’s landlord insurance policies on Canstar’s database with links to the provider’s website. Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a house in New South Wales.  

What landlord insurance policies does CommInsure offer?  

CommInsure offers three main landlord insurance policies – building & contents insurance, buildings insurance, and contents insurance.  

The building & contents policy with extras covers several key risks to ensure peace of mind for both tenants and landlords, including: 

  • Cover for loss of rent – both for inhabitability after an insured event and if your tenant defaults on their payment (the latter is available as an optional extra).  
  • Cover for damage to property from natural disasters or malicious acts 
  • Accidental breakage of glass  
  • Motor burnout cover  
  • Legal liability – for damage to third parties occurring on your property.  
  • Furniture and furnishings  
  • Keys and locks (available as an optional extra) 

Exclusions may also apply when it comes to making a landlord insurance claim.  Some common exclusions include:  

  • Gradual deterioration, neglect, lack of maintenance, structural failure or general wear and tear 
  • Pre-existing damage  
  • Any costs associated with the cleaning up or removal of asbestos 
  • Vermin or insects  
  • Invasion or war 
  • Erosion  
  • Any damage done during repairs or alterations being carried out on the house 

For a detailed look at the various landlord insurance exclusions and what can cause them, see CommInsure’s Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).  

CommInsure FAQs

CommInsure’s home & contents landlord insurance allow you to protect yourself from a loss of rental income due to a variety of factors, including:  

  • Inhabitability after an insured event such as a fire, flood, storm, tsunami or riot 
  • If your tenant defaults on their payment (available as an optional extra) 

See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.  

See this article for a quick guide to what landlord insurance is and what it may cover you for.  


A landlord insurance policy may provide you with some cover should damage be caused to your investment property by tenants or their guests.  

Under CommInsure’s building & contents landlord insurance policy, cover is included for the following:  

  • Damage to any buildings, sheds, garages or fences within the property line 
  • Damage caused by natural disasters such as fires, floods, and storms 
  • Damage caused by riots or civil commotions 
  • Accidental glass breakage 
  • Theft (not by tenant) 
  • Damage caused by malicious acts committed by either a tenant or their visitors  

See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.  


Landlord insurance can also protect property owners from damage that can occur to the contents they own in their investment home.  

While CommInsure’s building and contents landlord insurance policy is the most common option for landlords and has contents cover included, CommInsure also offers building cover and contents cover as separate policies. For more information about the different policies, look at the CommInsure website.  

See the PDS for more information on possible exclusions.  

Related Article: Should You Hire A Property Manager?

In insurance terms, a ‘defined event’ (also known as a ‘listed event’) on a policy is a damage-causing event whichyou’re insured for under that policy.  

Under CommInsure’s landlord insurance policy, you will generally be covered for the following defined events:  

  • Storm  
  • Flood 
  • Explosion  
  • Lightening or thunderbolt  
  • A falling tree or branch 
  • A riot or civil commotion  
  • Earthquake  
  • Fire 
  • Malicious damage 

To see the full list of defined events, see the PDS.  


Flood damage can be treated as different to storm damage by certain insurers, and as a result you may not be automatically covered for it.  

CommInsure’s building & contents landlord insurance does offer cover for flood damage, however please consult the PDS for information about exclusions and conditions that may apply.  

Landlord insurance policies can also offer additional benefits that can be added to suit your unique needs as a landlord for an extra fee. Some of the additional benefits you may be able to add to your CommInsure landlord insurance policy include: 

  • Cover for theft or malicious damage cover caused by the tenant or other people on your property.  
  • Cover for rent default payments  
  • Cover for accidental damage caused by tenants 

For a full list of additional and optional extras, consult the PDS.  

Yes, CommInsure also offers home insurance in addition to landlord insurance. At the time of writing, the CommInsure website has a 15% discount available when purchasing a combined home & contents policy online.  

See the difference between home and landlord insurance here. 

You can purchase a CommInsure landlord insurance policy by comparing your options with Canstar and generating a quote on the CommInsure website. They will ask you some general questions about your personal details, the cover required, the details of the building, and any optional extras you might be after.  

It shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes.    

Compare Landlord Insurance

CommInsure is a brand owned by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CommBank). Founded back in 1911 as the government bank for our young nation, CommBank remains Australia’s largest provider of financial services today. 

CommBank offers a suite of helpful tools for next home and first home buyers. Its Property Guide mobile app makes it easy to search for your next home on the go with Apple and Android devices. On its YouTube channel, it has a great series of videos on buying a home. 

CommInsure also has a huge impact on the local and international community. A few of its ventures include: 

  • Community grants: CommBank gives more than $2 million in grants each year through its Commonwealth Bank Staff Community Fund. Worthy causes include 2015 grant winner Starz Dance, who used the money to hold a dance recital for its special needs children’s class. 
  • Children’s health: CommBank helps kids in hospital forget they’re sick by sponsoring the Clown Doctors. 
  • Financial education: Since 2007, CommBank has been running Start Smart educational workshops for kids and youth to learn how to manage money. The Dollarmites Club started in 1928 and is one of the oldest and most well-known school banking programs for under 12s in Australia. The Dollarmites website has educational games for learning about money, while its Beanstalk website teaches parents how to help their kids save money. 
  • Australian of the Year: CommBank has been sponsoring the Australian of the Year since the 1970s. 
Compare Landlord Insurance

Written by: Regina Collins | Last updated: April 13, 2018