HCF Travel Insurance
Compare HCF travel insurance policies
The table below displays a snapshot of HCF’s travel insurance policies on Canstar’s database, sorted by Star Rating (highest to lowest). Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a couple travelling to the USA aged under 70.
What types of travel insurance does HCF offer?
HCF offers both domestic and international travel insurance, with specialised policies for annual travellers, seniors, cruisers and skiers. It offers four main overseas policies including Economy, Standard, Super and Super Plus to suit a wide range of budgets.
If you’re unsure as to which kind of travel insurance is most appropriate for you, or would like to better understand the differences between the different types of cover, check out our comprehensive guide on travel insurance.
What does HCF’s domestic and international travel insurance cover?
HCF’s International Super Plus policy will cover you for:
- Medical cover: HCF Super Plus has unlimited medical, dental and hospital cover. You must provide a medical practitioner’s report confirming you’re unfit to travel.
- Loss/theft of personal items: HCF also covers the loss or theft of personal items, including trip delays or damage. It will pay up to $12,000.
- Travel delays/cancellation: HCF has unlimited cancellation or travel delays with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions
- Rental car excess: If, as a result of an unexpected event, the rental vehicle you have hired is stolen or damaged during your journey, HCF Super Plus will reimburse you for any non-refundable excess payable to the rental vehicle company of up to $5,000.
- 24/7 assistance: HCF Travel’s worldwide assistance team is available 24 hours a day via phone.
- Lost or stolen documents: HCF will cover the cost involved in replacing important documents that have been lost or stolen.
Please note that exclusions may apply. For example, your medical cover may not pay claims for medical or dental treatment received in Australia, and it will only cover losses related pregnancy up to and including the twentieth week. Another example of an exclusion is not being covered for any delays caused by a natural disaster occurring before the start date of your insurance.
For more details about what is and isn’t covered, check out the Product Disclosure Statement on HCF’s website.
Yes, HCF’s comprehensive policy has unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses under the following circumstances:
- You need medical assistance for an unexpected illness
- You’re seriously injured in an accident
- You need to be evacuated for an unexpected injury
As always, various conditions and exclusions will apply. It’s highly unlikely that you will be covered if the injury you suffer is classified as a ‘pre-existing condition’, for example.
For more information on whether you’re covered or not, read HCF’s travel insurance Product Disclosure Statement.
Yes, HCF will cover you up to a certain amount for replacing or reimbursing luggage and personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged while travelling.
Under HCF’s comprehensive policy, up to $12,000 worth of your belongings will be covered. HCF will also cover the cost of essential medication if it’s lost or destroyed and has specific limits for essential items such as laptops, tablets, cameras, etc. Read the PDS for more information regarding limits.
Again, there are exclusions that come with HCF’s travel insurance policies. For personal items and jewellery, you must specify them before applying, and all items must be approved by HCF; otherwise they will not be covered. Ensure you check the PDS to find out more about what items and luggage are and aren’t covered.
If you’re not sure what to do when your luggage goes missing, check out our guide on travel mishaps and how to avoid them.
Yes, HCF travel insurance will cover up to a certain amount for lost deposits and cancellation fees for pre-paid travel arrangements due to unforeseen circumstances outside the traveller’s control on a policy, including:
- Unlimited cover if your journey was cancelled or delayed, with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
Read the Product Disclosure Statement for more information on the various exclusions that may apply.
You can purchase a HCF travel insurance policy by first comparing your options with Canstar and then generating a quote online. All you need to list is your personal details (age, length of trip, address, etc.), your pre-existing conditions and your choice of cover:
You can lodge a claim with HCF travel insurance over the phone as it provides 24/7 emergency assistance, as well as reverse charges if you’re calling internationally.
- For a local claim, call 1300 555 019
- For an international claim, call +61 3 8523 2800
After that, just:
- Follow the prompts and enter the details of your claim
- Submit your claim and wait for HCF to do the rest
Established in 1932, HCF is a non-for-profit health fund committed to re-investing premiums back into products and services that benefit its members. It also offers other insurance products such as travel insurance, home insurance, car insurance and life insurance.
HCF members receive some great benefits, including:
- Free heart checks: The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute performs free heart checks at HCF branches across Australia.
- At home care: 10% discount on in-home care services in metropolitan Sydney.
- Gym: 10% discount on selected Fitness First gym memberships.
- GP2U: 15% discount on GP2U online consultations with a GP.
- Mobile apps to help your health: Including my Health Guardian app (online health and wellbeing program), Eyecare app (screening tools to help you assess your vision), Health Agenda app (information to inspire healthier life choices), Quit Smoking app, Get Fitter app and Be Happier app (improve mental and emotional wellbeing).
The HCF Research Foundation, founded in 2000, supports the community by striving for constant improvement of health services across Australia. HCF also supports the National Breast Cancer Foundation and Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.
HCF is also committed to the environmental sustainability of its activities through its health fund, Dental Centres and Eye Care Centres. This includes managing waste disposal carefully, minimising water and energy consumption, and more measures.
To see HCF’s most recent ad campaign, visit its YouTube channel.