What is the Tasmanian Seniors Card?
The Tasmanian Seniors Card is part of the nationwide Seniors Card program. The Tasmanian Seniors Card offers eligible Tasmanian residents discounts on a range of goods and services, as well as cheaper public transport.
The Seniors Card was first established in Tasmania in 1994 by a group of self-funded retirees. According to the Tasmanian Government, there are now over 116,000 Seniors Card members.
What does the Tasmanian Seniors Card offer?
The Tasmanian Seniors Card gives cardholders access to discounts at participating businesses across the state and concessions (cheaper fares) on public transport.
What business discounts can you get with a Tasmanian Seniors Card?
There are currently over 550 businesses offering discounts through the Seniors Card program. Discounted products and services include things like:
- Automotive expenses, including servicing and cleaning
- Holiday and travel, including accommodation and tourist attractions
- Household needs, including cleaning supplies, and phone and internet providers
- Leisure, lifestyle, and recreation, including restaurants, dining and cafés
- Professional services, including accountants, health practitioners and insurance providers
- Shopping, including clothing and electricals
You can view the full list of discounts offered to Tasmanian Seniors Card holders through the online Seniors Card directory.
What transport concessions are you entitled to with a Tasmanian Seniors Card?
A Tasmanian Seniors Card entitles you to concession travel fares on a range of public transport services, including on Metro and Merseylink buses in Tasmania. Cardholders can also get concession fares when visiting other states and territories in Australia.
Who is eligible for a Tasmanian Seniors Card?
To be eligible for a Tasmanian Seniors Card you must be:
- A Tasmanian resident,
- 60 years old or over, and
- Not working more than 20 hours per week in paid employment (averaged over 12 months).
How do I apply for a Tasmanian Seniors Card?
You can apply for a Tasmanian Seniors Card by going to any Service Tasmania service centre and handing in a completed application form. The forms are available on the Department of Communities Tasmania website and from Service Tasmania service centres.
Once you’ve completed the form, the Department of Communities Tasmania says you’ll need to return it to a Customer Service Officer, along with three original pieces of identification. At least one of these pieces of ID must show your date of birth and provide proof of your Tasmanian address. You can choose from the following forms of ID:
- Australian Birth certificate (extract acceptable) or Australian Citizenship papers
- Driver’s licence or firearms licence
- Medicare card
- Credit or debit card with your signature
- Department of Veterans Affairs Card or Centrelink Aged Pension Card
- Change of Name or Marriage Certificate (from Births, Deaths and Marriages) to prove any name change
- Recent bank statement or utility account with current residential address
Your application will generally be processed on the spot once you hand in the form. If approved, you will receive a receipt, which will have your Seniors Card number on it. This can be used as your temporary Seniors Card and it can be used immediately in Tasmania. Your permanent Seniors Card may take up to 28 days to be delivered to you. Once you receive it, you will be able to use your Seniors Card both within and outside Tasmania.
Cover image source: Monkey Business Images/Shutterstock.com