HBF Travel Insurance
Compare HBF travel insurance policies
The table below displays a snapshot of HBF’s travel insurance policies on Canstar’s database, sorted by Star Rating (highest to lowest). Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a couple travelling to the USA aged under 70.
What types of travel insurance does HBF offer?
HBF offers both domestic and international travel insurance, with specialised policies for annual travellers, seniors, cruisers and skiers. It offers four main overseas policies including Economy, Standard, Super and Super Plus, to suit a wide range of budgets.
If you’re unsure as to which kind of travel insurance is most appropriate for you, or would like to better understand the differences between the different types of cover, check out our comprehensive guide on travel insurance.
What does HBF’s domestic and international travel insurance cover?
HBF’s International Super Plus policy will cover you for:
- Medical cover: HBF Super Plus has unlimited medical and hospital cover, with up to $1,000 on overseas dental. You must provide a medical practitioner’s report confirming you’re unfit to travel.
- Loss/theft of personal items: HBF also cover the loss or theft of personal items, including trip delays or damage. It will pay up to $12,000.
- Travel delays/cancellation: HBF has unlimited cancellation or travel delays with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
- Rental car excess: If, as a result of an unexpected event, the rental vehicle you have hired is stolen or damaged during your journey, HBF Super Plus will reimburse you for any non-refundable excess payable to the rental vehicle company of up to $3,000.
- 24/7 assistance: HBF Travel’s worldwide assistance team is available 24 hours a day via phone.
- Lost or stolen documents: HBF will cover the cost involved in replacing important documents that have been lost or stolen.
Please note that exclusions may apply. For example, your medical cover may not pay claims for medical or dental treatment received in Australia, and it will only cover losses related pregnancy up to and including the twentieth week. Another example of an exclusion is not being covered for any delays caused by a natural disaster occurring before the start date of your insurance.
For more details about what is and isn’t covered, check out the Product Disclosure Statement on HBF’s website.
Yes, HBF’s comprehensive policy has unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses under the following circumstances:
- You need medical assistance for an unexpected illness
- You’re seriously injured in an accident
- You need to be evacuated for an unexpected injury
As always, various conditions and exclusions will apply. It’s highly unlikely that you will be covered if the injury you suffer is classified as a ‘pre-existing condition’, for example.
For more information on whether you’re covered or not, read HBF’s Product Disclosure Statement.
Yes, HBF will cover you up to a certain amount for replacing or reimbursing luggage and personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged while travelling.
Under HBF’s comprehensive policy, up to $12,000 worth of your belongings will be covered. HBF will also cover the cost of essential medication if it’s lost or destroyed and has specific limits for essential items such as laptops, tablets, cameras, etc. Read the PDS for more information regarding limits.
Again, there are exclusions that come with HBF’s travel insurance policies. For personal items and jewellery, you must specify them before applying, and all items must be approved by HBF; otherwise they will not be covered. Ensure you check the PDS to find out more about what items and luggage are and aren’t covered.
If you’re not sure what to do when your luggage goes missing, check out our guide on travel mishaps and how to avoid them.
Yes, HBF travel insurance will cover up to a certain amount for lost deposits and cancellation fees for pre-paid travel arrangements due to unforeseen circumstances outside the traveller’s control on a policy, including:
- Unlimited cover if your journey was cancelled or delayed, with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
Read the Product Disclosure Statement for more information on the various exclusions that may apply.
You can purchase a HBF travel insurance policy by first comparing your options with Canstar and then generating a quote online. All you need to list is your personal details (age, length of trip, address, etc.), your pre-existing conditions and your choice of cover:
You can lodge a claim with HBF travel insurance over the phone as it provides 24/7 emergency assistance, as well as reverse charges if you’re calling internationally.
- For a local claim, call 1300 559 867
- For an international claim, call +61 2 8895 0699
After that, just:
- Follow the prompts and enter the details of your claim
- Submit your claim and wait for HBF to do the rest
HBF is most well known for its health insurance policies and was established as the Metropolitan Hospital Benefit Fund in 1941 to help Western Australians cover the cost of hospital treatment. HBF is now an Australia-wide insurance fund that covers over 900,000 members.
HBF is a non-for-profit organisation and in addition to travel insurance and health insurance, it also offers life insurance, car insurance, home insurance, contents and personal valuables insurance, caravan insurance, trailer insurance and boat insurance.
HBF employees give back to the community by donating over $100,000 every year to charity.
Keep up-to-date with HBF’s latest on its YouTube channel, including its 75th birthday celebrations.
Source: HBF Australia
HBF Super Plus
USA2017 Star Ratings Report