CMC Markets Online Share Trading Accounts
What accounts does CMC Markets offer?
Here’s an overview of CMC Markets’s accounts based on the information available at the time of writing:
This account allows you to trade Australian shares, ETFs, warrants, and mFunds, as well as other types of assets. It has three tiers:
- Classic – CMC Markets’ standard platform with low brokerage and free access when you make less than 11 trades per month
- Active Investor – Adds access to live data, Trading Central technical analysis daily emails, technical signals, candlestick alerts and trade ideas when you either make between 11 and 30 month or make more than 5 trades and pay $500 or more in brokerage
- Premium Trader – Access to all features offered by CMC Markets’ online share-trading platform when you make more than 30 trades per month
CMC Markets says the Classic tier offers Australia’s lowest brokerage.
CFD live account
This account allows you to trade contracts for difference (CFDs) on more than 10,000 shares, FX pairs, commodities, indices, and treasuries. It also offers “professional charting, powerful tools and innovative platform navigation”.
Related article: What to look for in an online share trading platform
What trading fees does CMC Markets charge?
At the time of writing, CMC Markets charges the following brokerage fees for online trades:
- The greater of $11 or 0.10% for traders who make less than 11 trades a month
- The greater of $9.90 or 0.08% for traders who make 11-30 trades a month
- The greater of $9.90 or 0.075% for traders who make more than 30 trades a month
It charges the following brokerage fees for phone orders on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX):
- $59.95 for trades worth $20,000 or less
- $82.50 for trades worth $20,001-$37,500
- 0.22% for trades worth more than $37,500
It charges the following brokerage fees for phone orders on the Sydney Stock Exchange (SSX):
- $66 for trades worth $20,000 or less
- $90.75 for trades worth $20,001-$37,500
- 0.22% for trades worth more than $37,500.
What products can I invest in using CMC Markets’s platform?
At the time of writing, CMC Markets allows customers to invest in the following asset types:
- Stockbroking investment products
- International shares
What markets does CMC Markets offer access to?
CMC Markets’s online share trading platform offers access to the following markets:
- London Stock Exchange
- Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Tokyo Stock Exchange
- Other major exchanges in countries including Canada, Switzerland, and Germany
Is the market data provided by CMC Markets dynamic, real-time, or delayed?
Market data displayed in CMC Markets’s online share trading platform is 20-minute delayed by default, however live data is available for a $10 monthly fee; this fee is rebated if you make more than 10 trades a month. Dynamic data is available for a $41.25 monthly fee, which will be rebated if you make more than 30 trades a month.
What reporting tools are offered by CMC Markets?
CMC Markets utilises Sharesight’s online tracking and reporting service as an integrated part of its stockbroking platforms. Sharesight offers the following reporting tools and features:
- Track your shareholdings (10 holdings or fewer for free, make 30 trades or more per month to track unlimited holdings)
- Run tax reports
- Rank your shares by performance
- Portfolio sharing
- Xero integration
- Unrealised CGT modeling
Does CMC Markets offer margin loans?
Yes, CMC Markets offers traders the ability to take out margin loans as part of its online share trading offering.
If you already use another margin lender, you can link your existing lender/account to your CMC Markets account. CMC Markets can then execute trades over the phone using a margin loan from your chosen lender, at their standard phone brokerage rates.
If your existing margin loan is with Leveraged, Suncorp, or St.George, CMC Markets says you can link it to your stockbroking account and access online brokerage rates of $11/0.10% (whichever is lower).
How is CMC Markets’s share-trading platform secured?
CMC Markets’s online share trading platform is secured SSL encryption, as well as third-party verification processes.
Does CMC Markets have a mobile app you can trade from?
Yes, CMC Markets offers a mobile app to traders. With CMC Markets’s mobile app, you can:
- Access your cash or margin-loan funded stockbroking accounts
- View and manage current positions
- Transfer funds
- View your order history
- Place all share order types, as well as buy, sell, amend, or cancel both conditional and linked orders
Does CMC Markets have customer support services available?
Yes, CMC Markets has customer support services available to traders. You can access CMC Markets’s customer service either online or through their mobile app.
Does CMC Markets offer CHESS sponsorship?
Yes, CMC Markets’s online share trading platform offers traders the option of having their shares CHESS-sponsored. CHESS (Clearing House Electronic Sub-register System) is the system used by the ASX to record shareholdings and manage the settlement of share transactions.
You can apply to have your issuer-sponsored shares CHESS-sponsored through CMC Markets’s online share trading platform by either mailing or faxing a completed copy of the issuer-sponsored holding statement along with a request to transfer the shares into your stockbroking account.
About CMC Markets
CMC Markets was founded in 1989 as Currency Management Corporation, and became CMC Markets in September 2005. It is an international broker-dealer headquartered in London with hubs in Sydney and Singapore.
It won Canstar’s Online Share Trading – Broker of the Year Award in 2019, marking the ninth year in a row it has won the award.