CMC Markets Online Share Trading Accounts
What accounts does CMC Markets offer?
Here’s an overview of CMC Markets’ accounts based on the information available at the time of writing:
This account allows you to trade Australian shares, ETFs, warrants, and mFunds, as well as other types of assets. It has three tiers, which are based on how many trades a customer makes each month:
- Classic – CMC Markets’ standard platform with low brokerage and free access, for people who make 10 or fewer trades per month
- Active Investor – Adds access to live data, as well as to CMC’s Trading Central technical analysis daily emails, technical signals, candlestick alerts and trade ideas when you either make between 11 and 30 trades per month, or make more than five trades and pay $500 or more in brokerage costs
- Premium Trader – Access to all features offered by CMC Markets’ online share-trading platform when you make more than 30 trades per month
CMC Markets says the Classic tier offers Australia’s lowest brokerage costs – at the time of writing.
CFD live account
This account allows you to trade contracts for difference (CFDs) on more than 10,000 shares, FX pairs, commodities, indices, and treasuries. It also offers “professional charting, powerful tools and innovative platform navigation”.
→ Related article: What to look for in an online share trading platform
What trading fees does CMC Markets charge?
At the time of writing, CMC Markets charges the following brokerage fees for online trades of products listed on the ASX:
- The greater of $11 or 0.10% of the trade’s value for traders who make less than 11 trades a month (such as those in the Classic tier)
- The greater of $9.90 or 0.08% for traders who make 11-30 trades a month (such as those in the Active Investor tier)
- The greater of $9.90 or 0.075% for traders who make more than 30 trades a month (such as those in the Premium Trader tier)
It charges the following brokerage fees for phone orders on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX):
- $59.95 for trades worth $20,000 or less
- $82.50 for trades worth $20,001-$37,500
- 0.22% for trades worth more than $37,500
It charges the following brokerage fees for phone orders on the Sydney Stock Exchange (SSX):
- $66 for trades worth $20,000 or less
- $90.75 for trades worth $20,001-$37,500
- 0.22% for trades worth more than $37,500.
For international shares, CMC Markets charges $59.95 or 0.59%, whichever is greater, on online orders for listed products. However, its brokerage fee is $0 for online orders for listed products in the US, UK, Japanese and Canadian markets. A minimum trade value of $1,000 applies for international share trading.
What products can I invest in using CMC Markets’ platform?
At the time of writing, CMC Markets allows customers to invest in the following asset types:
- Australian shares
- International shares
- Stockbroking investment products
What markets does CMC Markets offer access to?
In addition to the ASX, CMC Markets’ online share trading platform offers access to the following international markets:
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
Is the market data provided by CMC Markets dynamic, real-time, or delayed?
CMC Markets says the market data displayed in it’s online share trading platform is 20-minute delayed by default, however live data is available for a $10 monthly fee; this fee is rebated if you make more than 10 trades a month or are in the Active Investor online share trading tier. Dynamic data is available for a $41.25 monthly fee, which will be rebated if you make more than 30 trades a month or are in the Premium Trader online share trading tier.
What reporting tools are offered by CMC Markets?
CMC Markets utilises Sharesight’s online tracking and reporting service as an integrated part of its stockbroking platforms. Sharesight offers the following reporting tools and features to eligible CMC customers:
- Track your shareholdings (10 holdings or fewer for free, make 30 trades or more per month to track unlimited holdings)
- Run tax reports and other investment portfolio reports
- Rank your shares by performance
- Portfolio sharing
- Xero integration
- Unrealised CGT modelling
Does CMC Markets offer margin loans?
Yes, CMC Markets offers traders the ability to take out margin loans as part of its online share trading offering.
If you already use another margin lender, you can link your existing lender or loan account to your CMC Markets account. CMC Markets can then execute trades over the phone using a margin loan from your chosen lender, at CMC’s standard phone brokerage rates.
If your existing margin loan is with Leveraged or St.George, CMC Markets says you can link the loan to your CMC stockbroking account and access online brokerage rates of $11 or 0.10% (whichever is greater). CMC says it does not charge any additional fees for trading with a margin loan.
How is CMC Markets’ share-trading platform secured?
CMC Markets’ online share trading platform is secured via SSL encryption, as well as third-party verification processes.
Does CMC Markets have a mobile app you can trade from?
Yes, CMC Markets offers a mobile app to traders. With CMC Markets’ mobile app, you can:
- Access your cash or margin-loan funded stockbroking accounts
- View and manage current positions
- Transfer funds
- View your order history
- Place share orders, as well as buy, sell, amend, or cancel both conditional and linked orders
Does CMC Markets have customer support services available?
Yes, CMC Markets has customer support services available to traders. You can access CMC Markets’ customer service either online or through their mobile app. CMC Markets says you can also call it on 1300 303 888.
Does CMC Markets offer CHESS sponsorship?
Yes, CMC Markets’ online share trading platform offers traders the option of having their shares CHESS-sponsored. CHESS (Clearing House Electronic Sub-register System) is the system used by the ASX to record shareholdings and manage the settlement of share transactions.
You can apply to have your issuer-sponsored shares CHESS-sponsored through CMC Markets’ online share trading platform by either mailing or faxing a completed copy of the issuer-sponsored holding statement to CMC markets, along with a request to transfer the shares into your stockbroking account.
About CMC Markets
CMC Markets was founded in 1989 as Currency Management Corporation, and became CMC Markets in September 2005. It is an international broker-dealer headquartered in London, with hubs in Sydney and Singapore.
It won Canstar’s Online Share Trading – Broker of the Year Award in 2020, marking the 10th year in a row it has won the Award.