Budget Direct Car Insurance
What types of car insurance does Budget Direct offer?
At the time of writing, Budget Direct offers:
- comprehensive car insurance
- third party property only car insurance
- third party property, fire and theft car insurance.
If you’re unsure about which kind of car insurance is most appropriate for you, or you’d like more information on the differences between the different levels of cover, here’s our guide to the different kinds of car insurance.
Below is further information on Budget Direct’s comprehensive car insurance product.
Budget Direct Comprehensive Car Insurance
Budget Direct says their comprehensive car insurance is designed to protect you, your car, and damage caused to other people’s property. Budget Direct states that the inclusions cover a broad range of situations.
The Budget Direct Comprehensive Car Insurance covers:
- A choice of market value or agreed value
- Accidental damage to the car, including if it happens in a bushfire, storm, cyclone or flood
- Theft or attempted theft
- Damage to other people’s property
- Essential repairs (arising from an insurance incident)
- Emergency transport and accommodation
- Hire car following a no-fault accident or theft
- loss or damage to your vehicle
- new car replacement
- Personal items in the car (including a baby capsule) up to the limit in your policy
- Towing, recovery and car storage costs
- Replacement of keys if they are stolen (and the theft is reported to the police)
- Cover for damage to your trailer in the event of an accident.
Optional extras (typically for an additional fee) in the Comprehensive Car Insurance level of cover include:
- A hire car after any accident
- Reduced window glass excess
- Choice of repairer
- No claim discount protection
Conditions and limits apply so check the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), and excesses apply in most circumstances.
Budget Direct Car Insurance FAQs
How do you buy car insurance from Budget Direct?
First, consider comparing comprehensive car insurance policies among a range of providers with Canstar to see if you can find a product that suits your needs.
If you choose to go with Budget Direct, you can get a car insurance quote directly through its website, via an online form or webchat, or over the phone.
How do you lodge a claim with Budget Direct?
You can lodge a claim with Budget Direct either online, or by calling 1300 139 591 (open 24/7).
Budget Direct says the claims process may be quicker if you have certain details to hand, including:
- Your policy number
- Details of the incident (such as the time and place it occurred)
- The other driver’s details (if another driver was involved)
- Details of any witnesses
- Police report number (if applicable)
Does Budget Direct let you choose between market and agreed value?
Yes, Budget Direct allows comprehensive car insurance policy holders to either cover your car at its market value or nominate a specific value you want it insured for. Agreed value can only be specified in certain circumstances. Contact Budget Direct or read the PDS for details.
If you’re not sure which of these options would be better for your vehicle specifically, here’s an article about market vs agreed value which could help you make your mind up.
What additional features does Budget Direct offer on its car insurance products?
Budget Direct car insurance policies offer features, including:
- 24/7 claims
- Lifetime guarantee on authorised repairs as long as you own the car
- Cover for towing costs (if your car is involved in an accident and can’t be safely driven, Budget Direct states that it will pay the reasonable cost of towing your car)
- Hire car following a no fault accident or theft
Does Budget Direct let you nominate a higher or lower excess?
Budget Direct says you may be able to nominate a higher or lower excess. This may affect the cost of your car insurance premiums; a higher excess will typically result in a lower premium, while a lower excess will typically result in a higher premium.
Budget Direct offers excess options depending on the personal circumstances of the policy applicant. For example, the company lists a Basic excess of $800, with a $600 excess for ‘window glass only’. Budget Direct direct states that if you are given the option to adjust your access, you may be, for example, able to adjust your Basic excess to be between $600 to $1,800.
Additional excesses could apply to incidents involving:
- Drivers under the age of 21
- Drivers between the age of 21 and 24
- Drivers who haven’t held a full/open Australian licence for at least 2 years
- Unlisted drivers.
Remember, generally the higher the excess, the lower the car insurance premiums will be and vice versa.
How do you renew your car insurance with Budget Direct?
Budget Direct says it will normally send customers a renewal offer at least 14 days before the policy renewal date, showing the premium and excess for the new period, as well as any changes to the policy. If you wish to renew, you would not have to do anything – the policy will renew automatically. If you want to cancel, Budget Direct states that you need to contact them before the renewal date.
Consider comparing car insurance policies before simply renewing the same policy, to help ensure you can continue to get the cover you need as well as value for money.
About Budget Direct
Budget Direct is a large Australian general insurance provider. It says it has insured over 3 million Aussies since it was founded in 2000. Budget Direct policies are underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited, and it is part of the international BHL group.