Southern Cross Travel Insurance (SCTI)
Information correct at 21/01/16.
“There is a difference.”
Policy Options: What Southern Cross Travel Insurance covers
The inclusions below represent a selection of what is covered. Additional conditions may apply to different features. CANSTAR is not making any suggestion or recommendation to you about this product. Please ensure that you read the product disclosure statement to determine all the current policy options and inclusions for the product you are considering.
Domestic and International Policy
- Personal liability: Covers up to $1 million.
- Overseas hospital: Unlimited cover.
- Overseas dental: Covers up to $750.
- Medical evacuation/repatriation: Unlimited cover, with varying sub-limits for medical evacuation under different circumstances.
- Changes to journey: Covers up to $50,000 (single) or $100,000 (family). Excess of $100 applies. Sublimits apply for different types of travel delay or interruption.
- Cancellation fee: Covers up to $50,000.
- Luggage/baggage and personal effects: Covers up to $25,000 (single) or $50,000 (family). Excess of $100 applies. Sublimits apply for different types of personal items, e.g. covers up to $3,000 for laptops.
- Loss of cash and travel documents: Covers up to $1,000 (single) or $2,000 (family). Excess of $100 applies.
- Personal accidents: Covers up to $25,000 (single) or $50,000 (family).
- Rental vehicle excess: Covers up to $5,000.
- Accidental death: Covers up to $25,000.
- No excess on medical claims.
- Cover for food and nut allergies available at an extra cost.
- 24-hour helpline.
Annual Multi-Trip Policy
- Designed for frequent travellers.
- Comprehensive cover for 12 months, for trips up to 90 days long.
- Covers international and domestic travel.
About Southern Cross Travel Insurance
Famous for their mascot, the friendly yellow star, Southern Cross Travel Insurance (SCTI) was founded in 1982 in New Zealand by the Southern Cross Healthcare Group. SCTI insures hundreds of thousands of travellers from New Zealand and Australia every year.
Southern Cross Travel Insurance has won CANSTAR’s award for Outstanding Value Travel Insurance for the past 7 years in a row as of our 2015 ratings.
SCTI has a great travel blog jam-packed with invaluable travel tips, both in general and for specific destinations.
How Southern Cross Travel Insurance supports the community
- Pro bono services: Parent company Southern Cross Health Trust serves their community by providing free dental services for patients with a Community Services Card, and providing free elective surgeries for patients (including ophthalmology, orthopaedic, and general surgery) where public waiting lists and private costs are unreasonable.
How Southern Cross Travel Insurance supports the environment
- Completely paperless: All of SCTI’s activities happen online, which is good for the environment and great for the traveller’s budget.