Version: 11 March 2014
CANSTAR Pty Limited AR 443019 recognises the importance of protecting your privacy and abides by the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the (amended) Privacy Act 1988.
What information do we collect?
The types of information we keep on record will depend on the type of product or service requested by you.
Generally, we keep a record of the following types of information about you:
- information that identifies you, such as your name and address and other information voluntarily provided by you;
- if you use a quoting tool, calculator, online survey or other tool (“Website Tool”) on our website, the information that you enter into the Website Tool;
- your IP address for your interaction with various parts of our website. Your IP address is the identifier for your computer when you are using the internet.
We do not seek to collect sensitive information (for example health information or information about your racial or ethnic origin or any criminal record), unless it is necessary for our business purposes. If we do have to collect sensitive information, we will do so in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
During our dealings with you, we may gather information about you relating to all products and services that we or our business partners provide to you. This information is used to help us decide how we can improve our service delivery to you.
We collect and hold information about you when you:
- complete an online form or use a Website Tool;
- provide us with your email address and/or telephone number; or
- access and use our services through our website.
We also collect some statistical information about visitors to our website (for example, the number of visitors, pages viewed, types of transactions conducted, time online and documents downloaded). Some of this statistical information is collected by using cookies, but none of the statistical information we collect allows us to identify a visitor. We use this information to evaluate our website performance and continually improve our services. We may disclose this information in an aggregated form to third parties including advertisers or potential advertisers. Other than statistical information, we do not collect any information about you through our website unless you voluntarily provide the information to us.
You need not give us any of the personal information about you or any other person which may be requested in our communications with you. However, without that information, we may not be able to fulfil your request or provide you with an appropriate level of service.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information to:
- respond to your requests and directions;
- provide products and services to you;
- deal with complaints or issues you may have in relation to our services;
- review your dealings with us, including the products and services you use, your potential needs, and new products that might be of interest to you or other customers;
- ensure our internal business operations are running smoothly which may include fulfilling legal requirements and conducting confidential systems maintenance and testing;
How do we store personal information?
We provide a robust level of security when you use our online products and services. We have physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information which is held by us.
Access to information stored electronically is restricted to staff whose job purpose requires access. We use secure methods to destroy or de-identify any personal information as soon as the law permits, provided the information is no longer needed by us for any purpose.
Can we disclose personal information?
We must get your consent before we disclose your personal information. You can give us your consent expressly or it may be implied by your conduct.
By using our services you are deemed to have consented to our use, disclosure and other matters in relation to your personal information, as set out in this policy.
We may disclose your personal information:
- to our external service providers such as IT service providers (e.g. a provider of web hosting services). Some of these may be located overseas. Canstar may store your personal information on servers in overseas web hosting facilities.
- to product and services providers for operational purposes, and also because from time to time they may choose to provide you with information about their products and services by ordinary post or email. You may opt-out of receipt of such marketing at any time by contacting directly those organisations which have obtained your information. If you do not have their details, you can request them from Canstar’s Privacy Officer (details below).
- to any organisation which you request us to, including a financial adviser, service provider, product specialist, broker, solicitor, or accountant,
- to our related companies and other organisations where reasonable to do so in relation to the operation of our business,
- to protect and defend our rights or property,
- if we consider it necessary to do so in order to enforce or apply the terms of any of our agreements with you,
- to contractors providing licensed collections services, credit card payment processing and CRM services, who comply with our privacy and security policies,
- if we sell our business or part of it,
- in extreme circumstances, to protect the personal safety of our customers, website users, staff or the public,
- to law enforcement, regulatory and government bodies, government agencies and courts, if we are required to by law to do so.
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Cross Border disclosure of personal information
- From time to time Canstar may store (disclose) your personal information on servers in overseas web hosting facilities
- The Australian Privacy Principles require that we take reasonable steps, dependent on the circumstances of that personal information, to ensure that the overseas service provider to whom personal information is disclosed does not breach Australian privacy laws (the “Requirement”).
- When you provide us with your personal information you consent to the disclosure of your information to an overseas provider.
- Your consent to this disclosure means that the Requirement does not apply and Canstar will not be held accountable under the Privacy Act for any breaches of the Privacy Act by the overseas provider.
- Where commercially feasible, Canstar will contract with hosting providers who comply with the Australian Privacy Principles.
Amendment of this policy
If you do not wish to receive information about our products and services then please tell us. You can do this at any time by writing to us or telephoning us at the contact details listed below.
Access to your information
You can request access at any time to personal information we hold about you by using the contact details below . We will process your request within a reasonable time, usually 14 days for a straightforward request. More time may be needed, depending on the nature of the request. There is no fee for requesting access to your information; however we may charge you the reasonable cost of processing your request. Sometimes we are not required to provide you with access – for example, if the law says we can deny access. If we refuse you access to your personal information, we will tell you the reason why.
Correction of information
We try to ensure that all information we hold about you which we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. You must promptly notify us if there are any changes to your personal information. You may ask us at any time to correct personal information held by us about you, which you believe is incorrect or out of date. We will deal with your request within a reasonable time
In this policy, reference to “we/us” means CANSTAR Pty Limited A.C.N. 053 646 165, AR 443019.
Contact Details and Complaints
By telephone: (07) 3837 4100 9am – 5pm on business days in Brisbane, Qld.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will try to answer any questions you may have, correct any error on our part or resolve any complaint that you may have about our information handling practices. If we do not resolve a complaint to your satisfaction, you also have the right to complain to the Office of the Australian Privacy Commissioner, Tel: 1300 363 992 or email:email@example.com