For mature Queensland residents, the QLD Seniors Card can be a valuable key to a range of discounts and benefits, unlocking access to certain Government concessions, a huge range of discounts at participating Queensland businesses and the Senior Shopper service.
Here’s everything you need to know about the QLD Seniors Card including if you’re eligible and how to apply .
What does the QLD Seniors Card do?
Holding a QLD Seniors Card entitles you to discounts at a significant number of stores and businesses around Queensland, as well as the option to upgrade to a Seniors Card +go, which includes the discounts but also functions as a seniors go card on Translink services. It also gives you access to the Senior Shopper service – a free online and phone-shopping service that will tell you the best price available on goods and services.
— Coralee O'Rourke (@CoraleeORourke) August 17, 2016
What kinds of discounts do you get with a QLD Seniors Card?
According to the Queensland Government’s website, there are thousands of businesses around Queensland which offer discounts or concessions to Seniors Card holders, including retailers, utility companies and professional service providers.
There are far too many participating companies and businesses for us to list one by one here, but if you’re trying to find a certain discount or concession, you’ve got two options:
- For discounts from businesses you can do a manual search here, searching by category, location or both
- For Government subsidies and concessions, you can visit the Government’s Smart Savings page for seniors
What is Seniors Card +go?
If you have both a QLD Seniors Card and a senior go card (the maroon one), you can combine the two by applying to upgrade your QLD Seniors Card to a Seniors Card +go. It offers the functionality of both cards in one.
You can apply to upgrade your QLD Seniors Card here. You can also apply to upgrade to a Seniors Card +go from a Seniors Business Discount Card and manage the details of your card.
What is Senior Shopper?
Senior Shopper is an online phone service which uses volume purchasing power to provide goods and services to seniors at the lowest price possible. According to its website it currently services over 3,500,000 seniors and is a “100% Australian-owned member benefits organisation”.
If you want to join Senior Shopper you’d usually need to be a member of an affiliated union or organisation but holding a QLD Seniors Card gets you straight in, so you can start saving on their huge range of goods and services.
Who is eligible for a QLD Seniors Card?
To be eligible for a QLD Seniors Card you must:
- Either be a permanent resident of Queensland or live in Queensland for at least six months of the year with your Queensland address registered as your home address with one of the following:
- Electoral Commission of Queensland
- Commonwealth Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Be 65 years or older and working less than 35 hours a week in paid employment OR
- Be 60-64 years old, work less than 35 hours a week in paid employment, and hold one of the following:
- Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card
- Commonwealth Health Care Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold, White or Orange card
If you satisfy the above conditions, you’re ready to apply!
How do I apply for a QLD Seniors Card?
You can apply for a QLD Seniors Card in one of four ways: online, by post, by phone or over the counter. Whichever method you choose, you will need one of the following to apply:
- Centrelink customer reference number (CRN)
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs file number
- Queensland driver licence number
- Queensland adult proof of age card number
To apply online, simply go here and follow the prompts.
Applying by post
To apply by post, print and fill out this form, and then mail it to:
Smart Service Queensland
Reply Paid 10817
Brisbane Adelaide Street QLD 4000
Applying by phone
Call 13 QGOV (13 74 68) to apply over the phone.
Applying over the counter
Find your nearest Government service office and visit it in order to apply over the counter.
While the discounts you get as a QLD Seniors Card holder could definitely help you save money in retirement, it’s still important to ensure you’ll have enough in super to fund your retirement in the first place. You can compare different super funds with Canstar to find the best one for you.