Qantas Car Insurance
What types of car insurance does Qantas offer?
Through its subsidiary, Qantas Insurance, Qantas offers three different car insurance options:
Third party property only
Covers the policyholder’s liability for accidental damage caused by the insured vehicle to other people’s property, for example if you cause an accident that damages another car or property. This policy does not cover your own vehicle if it’s damaged in an accident, by a fire, storm or flood, or for theft.
This policy also covers items that include:
- Legal costs associated with a covered incident
- Damage caused to your vehicle by an uninsured driver
- The cost of debris removal
Qantas highlights that its Third Party Property insurance is not mandatory and shouldn’t be confused with Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance.
Third party property, fire and theft
In addition to what’s covered under the Third party property only policy outlined above, this policy also covers risks such as:
- Fire damage
- The cost of towing, for example if your car is fire damaged
- The cost of a hire car following theft
This policy covers the items included in Qantas’ third party policies, but also risks including:
- New car replacement if you new car is written off within two years of 40,000km of this original registration, whichever comes first
- Hire car following a no fault accident
- Replacement of stolen keys or remote
- Damage to you caravan or trailer in a collision
- Emergency transport and accommodation
- Damage or theft of personal effects in your car
- Damage or theft of child seat/baby capsule in your car
Please note that conditions, exclusions and claim limits may apply to Qantas car insurance cover. These will be outlined in the Qantas car insurance product disclosure statement (PDS). You can also check any conditions direct with Qantas before committing to a policy.
What additional features does Qantas offer on their car insurance products?
Qantas offers the following optional add ons with its car insurance products:
- Roadside assistance on all policies (an additional $1.60 per week at the time of writing)
Plus the following add ons on the comprehensive policy only:
- Hire car following an accident
- Reduced window glass excess
- Choice of repairer
- No-claim discount protection (applied to one claim per year or two claims in a three year period even if the accident was your fault)
As part of its service to policyholders, Qantas includes the following features on all of its car insurance policies.
- A 21-day money-back cooling off period
- Repair guarantee (for as long as you own the car)
- 24/7 claims
- Qantas points: currently up to 20,000 points when you join, 1 point per $1 spent on premiums plus up to 6,000 points using the Qantas Wellbeing App.
Qantas car insurance FAQs
Qantas comprehensive car insurance policyholders only can choose between market and agreed value. Here’s an article which explains the difference between market value and agreed value.
First, consider comparing car insurance policies with Canstar to find a product that suits your needs.
If you choose to go with Qantas, you can get a car insurance quote on its website or over the phone.
Qantas says it allows policyholders to nominate a higher or lower excess. For example on a comprehensive policy, the maximum excess is $1,800 and the minimum is $600.
The excess you nominate may affect the cost of your car insurance premiums; a higher excess will typically result in a lower premium, while a lower excess will typically result in a higher premium.
You can lodge a claim with Qantas online over the phone by calling 13 49 60 or online by logging in to your account. It may help to have relevant information to hand, such as your policy number, details of the incident and the police report number, if relevant.
Consider comparing car insurance policies before simply renewing the same policy, so that you continue to get the cover you need as well as value for money:
Qantas says that to ensure continued protection it will normally send a renewal offer at least 14 days before the renewal date of your policy. At this point you will have the options including auto renewing your policy on the same terms, changing your policy or cancelling it.