GMF Health Insurance
“Health insurance that’s made for you.”
Policy Options: What GMF health insurance covers
The inclusions below represent a selection of what is covered. Additional conditions may apply to different features. CANSTAR is not making any suggestion or recommendation to you about this product. Please ensure that you read the product disclosure statement to determine all the current policy options and inclusions for the product you are considering.
Hospital Only Policy
All Hospital policies include varying levels of cover for the following:
- Emergency ambulance services
- Hospital accommodation
- Operating theatre fees
- Out-of-pockets expenses for your in-patient medical services
- Psychiatric care
- Broader health: cardiovascular health, diabetes management, mental health, quit smoking, asthma management, back pain
- Medically necessary plastic and reconstructive surgery
Hospital levels at a higher level also cover the following:
- Obstetrics, pregnancy and childbirth services (optional)
- Assisted reproductive services (IVF and GIFT)
- Cardiac heart-related procedures
- Renal dialysis
- Obesity-related procedures including gastric banding
- Eye surgery including cataracts
- Joint replacements
Waiting periods for hospital services:
- Emergency ambulance services: 1 day
- Most hospital services: 2 months
- Pre-existing conditions: 12 months
Levels of cover:
Compare health insurance on our website for a GMF quote specific to your situation.
- Lite Hospital: Basic level hospital cover.
- Mid Hospital: Medium level hospital cover.
- Complete Hospital: Top level hospital cover.
Extras Only Policy
Levels of Extras Only cover:
- Lite Extras: Basic level extras cover: general dental, optical, physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy, natural therapies, pharmacy, podiatry, ambulance.
- Mid Extras: Medium level extras cover: general dental, major dental, optical, physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy, natural therapies, pharmacy, podiatry, antenatal, dietary, psychology, speech therapy, eye therapy, occupational therapy, travel and accommodation, health appliances, audiology and hearing aids, home nursing, hospital boarding, ambulance.
- Complete Extras: Top level extras cover: general dental, major dental, optical, physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy, exercise physiology, natural therapies, pharmacy, podiatry, antenatal, dietary, psychology, speech therapy, eye therapy, occupational therapy, travel and accommodation, health appliances, audiology and hearing aids, home nursing, hospital boarding, ambulance.
Waiting periods for extras services:
- Most extras: 2 months
- General dental
- Antenatal: 12 months
- Health appliances: 12-36 months (1-3 years)
- Hearing aids: 24 months (2 years)
Hospital and Extras Policy (Packaged Cover)
All Extras Only policies can be added to any Hospital Only policy to create a packaged cover solution to meet your needs. Below are listed the pre-packaged cover options created by GMF.
Hospital and Extras cover packages:
- Just the Essentials:
Lite Hospital and Lite Extras.
- Balanced Option:
Mid Hospital and Mid Extras.
- Peace of Mind:
Complete Hospital and Complete Extras.
- Create your own
Overseas Visitors (Visa Health Insurance)
- Covers people visiting Australia on a tourist, holiday, or working visa. Also covers international and overseas students visiting Australia to study (OSHC health insurance).
- Hospital only cover: Overseas Lite Hospital, or Overseas Complete Hospital.
- Includes emergency ambulance services and pregnancy and childbirth.
- Extras cover: Overseas Lite Extras, Overseas Mid Extras, or Overseas Complete Extras.
About GMF: Why choose GMF
GMF was founded in 1953 in Kalgoorlie, WA, as the Goldfields Medical Fund. In 1992 in Kalgoorlie, HealthGuard Health Benefits Fund was founded, which would later join forces with GMF in 2002. GMF now provides insurance to more than 70,000 Australians.
GMF won the coveted CANSTAR Award for Outstanding Value Health Insurance (WA) in 2015. GMF is one of the 15 not-for-profit Members Own Health Funds in Australia, meaning profits are returned to members in the form of cheaper premiums.
Since June 2015, GMF has been owned by HBF, and is also known as HealthGuard. At the time of writing, GMF/HealthGuard is still a distinct entity, so members still get GMF benefits rather than HBF benefits.
How GMF supports the community
- Parent company HBF provides strong support to the Australian community: holding health and wellness workshops, employee volunteer hours, workplace giving program, HBF Run for a Reason.
How GMF supports the environment
- According to parent company HBF’s 2015 annual report, HBF actively supports the environment “by adopting an environmental protection policy”, and the HBF Board annually considers “the social, ethical and environmental impact of HBF activities”.
Written by: TJ Ryan