CUA Health Insurance
“Life rich banking.”
Policy Options: What CUA Health covers
The inclusions below represent a selection of what is covered. Additional conditions may apply to different features. CANSTAR is not making any suggestion or recommendation to you about this product. Please ensure that you read the product disclosure statement to determine all the current policy options and inclusions for the product you are considering.
Hospital Only Policy
All Hospital policies (excluding Public Hospital Only) include varying levels of cover for the following:
- Hospital accommodation for day surgery, overnight stays, and intensive care unit stays
- Operating theatre fees
- Labour ward
- Choice of your own doctor and/or specialist
- Prostheses such as artificial hips and knees
- Cover for the difference between the Medicare benefit and Medicare schedule fee or Access Gap Cover agreed fee for doctor/specialist services whilst in hospital
- Experimental and some high cost or exceptional drugs
- Cosmetic surgery and other treatments for which Medicare pays no benefit
- Out-patient services
- Gap payments apply to certain prostheses: hip and knee joint replacements, artificial heart valves, pacemaker devices, and intra-ocular lenses for cataract surgery
Waiting periods for hospital services:
- Accident cover: No waiting
- Obstetrics-related condition: 12 months
- Pre-existing condition: 12 months
- Psychiatric care, rehabilitation or palliative care: 2 months
- All other hospital benefits: 2 months
Levels of cover:
Compare health insurance on our website for a CUA quote specific to your situation.
- Public Hospital Only:
Covers treatment as a private patient in a public hospital. Public hospital waiting lists may apply.
- 65% Private Hospital
- 75% Private Hospital
- 90% Private Hospital
- 100% Private Hospital
Extras Only Policy
Levels of Extras Only cover:
- Silver Extras:
Medium level extras cover up to annual benefits limits: general dental, major dental, orthodontics, optical, physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy, alternative therapies (natural therapies), occupational therapy, speech therapy, dietary, psychology, eye therapy, exercise physiology, hearing aids, pharmacy, podiatry, health aids and appliances, health management programs, mammograms, travel expenses, ambulance.
- Gold Extras:
Top level extras cover up to annual benefits limits: general dental, major dental, orthodontics, optical, physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy, alternative therapies (natural therapies), occupational therapy, speech therapy, dietary, psychology, eye therapy, exercise physiology, hearing aids, pharmacy, podiatry, health aids and appliances, health management programs, mammograms, travel expenses, ambulance.
Waiting periods for extras services:
- Emergency ambulance services: No waiting period
- General dental: 2 months
- Physiotherapy: 2 months
- Chiropractic and osteopathy: 2 months
- Alternative therapies: 2 months
- Pharmacy: 2 months
- Podiatry: 2 months
- Eye therapy: 2 months
- Psychology: 2 months
- Occupational therapy: 2 months
- Speech therapy: 2 months
- Dietary: 2 months
- Exercise physiology: 2 months
- Optical: 6 months
- Health management programs: 6 months
- Major dental: 12 months
- Health aids and appliances: 12 months
- Hearing aids: 24 months (2 years)
Hospital and Extras Policy (Packaged Cover)
All Extras Only policies can be added to any Hospital Only policy to create a packaged cover solution to meet your needs.
About CUA Health: Why choose CUA Health
CUA was founded in 1966 after the merger of a few small credit unions founded in the 1940s, including the Catholic Thrift and Loan Co-Op, the Thrift and Loan Credit Union, and the Postal Workers Co-Op Credit Union. At the time of writing, CUA is the largest customer-owned financial institution.
CUA won the coveted CANSTAR Award for Outstanding Value Hospital Cover in 2015, and over the years they have won many other CANSTAR awards for their banking products. They were also recognised in 2011 with the award for Employer of Choice for Women.
How CUA supports the community
- CUA Community Care: Providing grants to schools to create veggie patches, learning tools, and playgrounds for kids, since 2011.
- School Fun Run program: Sponsoring this as a healthy alternative to school fundraising chocolate drives.
- SIDS and Kids: Fundraising for health research into SIDS and stillbirths.
- First Nations: Providing equal access to finance for indigenous communities, businesses, and individuals.
- Fighting cancer: Sponsoring the Leukaemia Foundation and National Breast Cancer Foundation to provide care and find a cure.
- Fighting poverty world-wide: Supporting the Credit Union Foundation of Australia to provide affordable and sustainable access to finance for those living in poverty in the Asia-Pacific region.
Written by: TJ Ryan