Items Not Covered By Contents Insurance

27 April 2016
Do you have, or are you considering, contents insurance? While it might be tempting to take out the cheapest available policy, don’t forget that there are a range of things that aren’t automatically covered by a basic package and specific items may need to be added as extras. Here are a few ‘contents’ that might not be covered under your policy…

Expensive jewellery/artwork/Antiques

Many insurers provide limited cover for precious valuables such as jewellery and artwork.  For example, that extremely precious $10,000 diamond ring of yours might only be covered up to $1,000! You can add full coverage to these items as an extra by specifying the individual values, but this can add significantly to the cost of your contents insurance premium.

Collections (DVDs, stamps…spoons)

Collections of any type, be they trophies or Barbie dolls can take a lot of time (and obsession) to amass and can be worth a significant amount. Many contents policies ask for collections to be declared separately as an extra. By doing this, you can claim the full value of your $15,000 happy meal toy collection if it is ever destroyed.

Shopping around for a home insurance policy?

Whether you're looking for home, contents or combined cover, you can easily compare from 100+ policies with Canstar.

Items outdoors (BBQs, outdoor settings, playgrounds)

Don’t forget about your precious BBQ, garden gnomes and the kids’ playground! Since they are usually outside the home, many insurers don’t include such items under your standard contents insurance coverage. This is understandable, considering these items are more exposed to the elements and thus more susceptible to damage. Outdoor items can often be covered as an optional extra.

Plants, trees

Plants and trees that are planted in the garden are not usually insured under contents insurance but may be covered under your home insurance. However, if your florae are in pots or tubs, they can be considered as contents.

Illegal items (Drugs, unregistered guns, illegally downloaded media)

If you think your personal stash of “party enhancers” are going to be covered by your contents insurance, think again. This should be a no-brainer. All illegal items and items connected with growing or creating illegal items are not covered by insurance.

Portable items (phones, laptops, jewellery)

Portable items such as mobile phones and handbags are only usually insured under your contents insurance if you add them as an optional extra. Portable valuables are defined as any item that is normally carried with you away from the insured address.

Items used for earning income (tools, musical instruments, photographic equipment)

Some insurers will not insure specific contents of your home if they happen to be used for earning money. For instance, if you serve society by rocking and liberating people with your music (professional musician), your instruments or musical equipment used for earning income might not be covered.


Our furry and scaly friends are not normally covered under contents insurance, but some insurers provide optional pet cover for veterinary expenses as a result of an accidental injury. This pet insurance is generally limited to cats and dogs, so unfortunately your pet crocodile will probably miss out. You can compare pet insurance here.


There is usually limited cover for all cash and documents able to be cashed. So, if you’re some sort of wannabe Walter White who keeps thousand-dollar stacks of cash in your house, you might only be covered up to $200 worth of this in your contents insurance if your house was to go up in flames. Consider putting this money in a bank instead. You can compare savings accounts here.

Share this article