Challenger Care Annuity
Challenger Life Company Limited is helping older Australians to retain more of their retirement nest egg with an innovative new lifetime annuity that pays a current interest rate of 4.35%, provides social security and aged care facility financial assessment benefits and can be voluntarily withdrawn for 100% of value at year 10 or on death at any time in the first decade.
Called the Challenger Care Annuity, the product is aimed at those who may be moving into residential aged care and who wish to both maximize their social security entitlements and minimize their income tested aged care fees, within a conservative investment framework. According to Challenger, the Care Annuity has received strong support from financial planners from over 40 dealer groups, with average weekly inflows of over $1 million per week since the product was launched.
The Challenger Care Annuity is available to all investors 18 or older with a valid Aged Care Assessment Team (or Aged Care Assessment Services in Victoria) approval.
What are the main features?
The Challenger Care Annuity is an immediate lifetime annuity with a 10-year commutation period. The Care Annuity:
- Provides a fixed competitive earnings rate for the life of the annuitant.
- Can reduce or eliminate income-tested aged care fees (which can be up to $24,469 p.a.)
- Is treated beneficially for Social Security purposes through favourable income and assets test treatment.
- Enables the annuitant to effectively manage their taxation affairs.
- Provides 100% money back upon death within the first 10 years.
- Can be withdrawn at any time during the first 10 years.
- Has a voluntary withdrawal value equal to 100% of the amount invested at the end of year 10 (alternatively the client may continue the annuity and receive payments for life – however the annuitant cannot withdraw after the end of year 10).
- Can assist people to get the Commonwealth Seniors Health card if they are not already eligible.
When integrated as part of a financial plan, the care annuity can provide an immediate financial benefit to persons subject to income tested aged care fees, helping to provide both an effective source of income and peace of mind.
Read more about our Innovation Excellence Award Winners.
Sponsored products displayed are paid advertisements and Canstar receives a fee for referring you to the advertiser. Past performance is not necessarily a guide to future performance; unit prices may fall as well as rise. Performance information shown is for the historical periods up to 30/06/2016 and investment options noted in the product information. Performance figures shown reflect net investment performance, i.e. net of investment tax, investment management fees and the maximum applicable ongoing management fees and membership fees. Performance information is provided by Rainmaker Information Pty Ltd ABN 86 095 610 996 AFSL 461816 (www.rainmaker.com.au) which provides general information on superannuation. Any advice on this page is general and has not taken into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and is not a recommendation for your particular circumstances. Consider whether this advice is right for you. Consider the product disclosure statement before making a purchase decision. You may need financial advice from a qualified adviser.