In 2016, the CommSec online share trading platform has received CANSTAR’s 5-star rating for outstanding value in one out of three investor profiles:
- Casual Investor: CommSec Share Trades Internet Preferred
The inclusions below represent a selection of what is covered. Additional conditions may apply to different features. CANSTAR is not making any suggestion or recommendation to you about this product. Please ensure that you read the product disclosure statement to determine all the current policy options and inclusions for the product you are considering.
Resources on offer for sharemarket investors
CommSec’s Invest In Yourself website is a dedicated resource for investors. It offers education about the basics of share trading strategies, tools to monitor the market, as well as video tutorials and how-to guides. It also features other tips for investors, such as how to find the right mentor.
CommSec runs the Top Trader Game as part of their investor community. The game offers the chance to win $1,000 for trading, plus fortnightly prizes, just by putting your trading skills to the test.
Features on offer for Casual Investors
In terms of cost, CommSec charges roughly $30 per trade compared with the lowest fee currently on offer ($14). However, this is still quite a competitive fee compared with non-5-star rated products in the Casual Profile.
CommSec offers a comprehensive range of features overall. As of the 2015-2016 financial year, the CommSec investing app is now enabled for international share trading.
Key features of the CommSec Share Trades Internet Preferred online share trading platform are:
- Accessibility: Traders can access their account via the internet, an Android app, iPad app, iPhone app, other mobile device, or over the phone. They can view their portfolio balance and their settlement account balance online. Traders can view and trade on live prices, and view and edit their watch list.
- Market Information: Daily market reports, live quotes, buy/sell signals, company financial reports, company news and announcements, economic research and forecasts, and technical analyst reports are available.
- Advice: Broker recommendations are available.
- Application: Traders can sign up to this platform in an online application that requires no documentation. Trading is possible immediately upon opening an account.
- Education: A dedicated education page, chat room forums, online live help, FAQs, searchable help page, and online seminars and video tutorials are available. Tailored education is an option. Educational workshops are offered in various cities.
- Support: Email support is available. They go above and beyond by offering 24-hour phone support for international trades. Phone training is available for customers.
- Margin Loans: Only CommSec margin loans are allowed.
- Reporting: Automatic consolidated tax reports. Past statements available online. Year-to-date and historical reports on interest and settlement of account, and dividends, and individual stock or portfolio equity gains/losses.
- Alerts: Email and SMS alerts available.
- Markets: International markets, CFDs, derivatives, shares, ETFs, options, unlisted managed funds, warrants.
CommSec brokerage services began in 1995 and they launched an online share trading website in 1997. Customers can trade ASX and international shares. The CommSec app allows you to trade on Apple or Android devices.
CommSec Advisory provides full-service stockbroking and investment advice.
CommSec is one arm of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CommBank). CommBank was founded in 1911 as the government bank for our young nation, and they are still Australia’s largest provider of financial services.
CommBank supports the community through education and sponsorship. CommBank has been running Start Smart educational workshops for kids and youth since 2007, to help Aussies grow up understanding how to make the most of their finances.
CommBank distributes more than $2 million in community grants every year. They sponsor the Clown Doctors to help kids in hospital forget they’re sick, as well as sponsoring the Australian of the Year since the 1970s.
CommBank also works hard to protect the environment , winning three CDP ASX 200 Climate Leadership Awards in 2014 alone. Their corporate kitchens use sustainably sourced produce from their own vege and herb patch and from local farmers.
Please note that CANSTAR is an information provider and in giving you product information CANSTAR is not making any suggestion or recommendation about a particular product. If you decided to apply for a product, you will deal directly with a financial institution, and not with CANSTAR. Costs and product information should be confirmed with the relevant financial institution. For more information, read our detailed disclosure, important notes and additional information.