Canstar Research FSG and Credit Guide
CANSTAR RESEARCH PTY LIMITED
Date: 20 July 2015
Canstar Research Pty Ltd ABN 29 114 422 909 Australian Financial Services Licence and Australian Credit Licence No: 437917, Level 21, 143 Turbot Street, Brisbane Qld 4000.
What is a Financial Services Guide and Credit Guide?
This Financial Services Guide and Credit Guide (‘FSG’) is an important document prepared by Canstar Research Pty Ltd (‘Canstar Research’) to assist you in determining whether you wish to use any of the financial services or products provided by Canstar Research.
This FSG also provides information about:
- who we are;
- what services and types of financial products we are authorised to provide you;
- how we are paid;
- any potential conflict of interest we may have; and
- our internal and external dispute resolution procedures and how you access them.
What Financial Services and Credit Services does Canstar Research offer?
Canstar Research is authorised, pursuant to its Australian Financial Services Licence, to provide general financial product advice through the provision of:
- Data services – institutions, intermediaries, re-sellers& consumers;
- Data services – industry bodies, consumer bodies & regulators;
- Data related IT services – institutions and intermediaries (including RateCity);
- Financial product star ratings;
- Commissioned Research;
- Media Tables; and
Canstar Research is authorised to carry on a financial services business to provide general financial product advice for the following classes of financial products:
- deposit and payment products including:
- (a) basic deposit products;
- (b) deposit products other than basic deposit products;
- (c) non-cash payment products;
- general insurance products; and
- life products limited to:
- life risk insurance products as well as any products issued by a Registered Life Insurance Company that are backed by one or more of its statutory funds;
- interests in managed investment schemes excluding investor directed portfolio services;
- standard margin lending facility; and
to retail and wholesale clients.
Canstar Research is authorised pursuant to its Australian Credit Licence, to:
(a) Engage in credit activities other than as a credit provider by:
(i) providing a credit service where the licensee is not or will not be:
(A) where the service relates to a credit contract or proposed credit contract – the credit provider under the contract; or
(B) where the service relates to a consumer lease or proposed consumer lease – the lessor; and/or
(ii) performing the obligations or exercising the rights of a credit provider in relation to a credit contract or proposed credit contract under which the licensee is not or will not be the credit provider; and/or
(iii) performing the obligations or exercising the rights of a mortgagee in relation to a mortgage or proposed mortgage that secures or will secure obligations under a credit contract under which the licensee is not the credit
(iv) performing the obligations or exercising the rights of a beneficiary under a guarantee or proposed guarantee that guarantees obligations under a credit contract under which the licensee is not the credit provider; and/or
(v) performing the obligations or exercising the rights of a lessor in relation to a consumer lease or proposed consumer lease where the licensee is not or will not be the lessor
Who is responsible for the financial and credit services provided?
Canstar Research is licensed under the Corporations Act and the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009 to provide the services outlined in this FSG.
Why is this guide provided to you?
Under the Corporations Act, Canstar Research is deemed to provide general financial product advice to you through any of the above means, even though we do not deal directly with you. Canstar Research materials may be distributed to you through third party intermediaries, including advisers or mortgage brokers, or may be published on our website.
- Canstar Research does not accept instructions in relation to our services directly from consumers.
- General advice provided by Canstar Research does not constitute personal advice as it does not take into account your financial situation, needs and objectives.
- Canstar Research’s credit licence requires it to provide you with a credit guide setting out the information in this document.
Are there any relationships that exist that may influence us when we provide advice?
Canstar Research is not owned by any financial product issuer. Canstar Research may provide some product issuers with data, research, licensing, IT or consulting services for a fee.
RateCity Pty Ltd ABN 12 122 743 542 (‘RateCity’) is a joint venture between the shareholders of Canstar Research’s parent company CANSTAR Pty Ltd ABN 21 053 646 165 (‘CANSTAR’), and ninemsn.
Mr Andrew Spicer is the CEO and Managing Director of CANSTAR. Ms Annabelle Chaplain, Ms Michelle Tredenick, Mr Lachlan Given, Ms Rosemary Willink and Mr Michael Firmin are non-executive directors of CANSTAR. RateCity provides consumers with a search, compare, select and application facility for a wide range of banking and insurance products. CANSTAR supplies data services to RateCity on commercial terms.
Staff remuneration, commissions and other benefits
Canstar Research employees receive a salary and do not receive remuneration, commissions or other benefits from any products issuers. They may be eligible for an annual performance payment or retention incentives which are discretionary and based on reaching agreed performance levels.
How are any commissions, fees or other benefits calculated for providing the financial services?
Canstar Research will receive a flat periodic fee from its Authorised Representatives CANSTAR Pty Limited (AR 443019) and Data Distribution and Marketing Pty Limited (AR 420360) for the provision of research services which are commercialised by them.
Canstar Research may also receive fees in relation to the following:
- Web delivery of data services – Customers will pay fees to Canstar Research for the provision of product data and associated delivery interface.
- Commissioned Research. Canstar Research will charge fees negotiated on a case by case basis for discrete research products or projects. For most projects Canstar Research will agree the fee prior to commencement. Project fees will be based on any one or more of:
- the time the consulting work is expected to take (determined at a daily or hourly rate);
- the complexity of the work; and
- the purpose for which the work is intended.
Repeat projects will usually be charged on a flat fee basis.
- Product Reviews, Media Tables and Awards – there may be a fee for this service.
You may request particulars of fees applicable to a service that you are interested in purchasing by contacting Canstar Research directly.
Will anyone be paid for referring me to you?
There are no fees payable for referrals made to us.
Are there adequate compensation arrangements in place?
Canstar Research holds Professional Indemnity insurance for the purpose of compensation should this become relevant. Representatives who have left Canstar Research’s employment are covered by our insurances in respect of events occurring during their employment. These arrangements and the level of cover held by Canstar Research satisfy the requirements of section 912B of the Corporations Act 2001.
What should I do if I have a complaint?
Should you wish to lodge a complaint about the service provided by Canstar Research you should send an email to email@example.com addressed to the Complaints Officer.
We have established procedures to ensure that all complaints are properly considered and dealt with. In the event, that the outcome of your complaint is not satisfactory to you, you may request that the matter be referred to the Financial Ombudsman Services Limited (FOS). You may request further information about the complaints scheme at any time. You may contact FOS as follows:
Financial Ombudsman Services Limited
GPO Box 3
Melbourne Vic 3001
Phone: 1300 780 808 (Australia Wide)
Fax: (03) 9613 6399