CHI Travel Insurance
Compare CHI Travel Insurance policies
The table below displays a snapshot of CHI’s travel insurance policies on Canstar’s database, sorted by Star Rating (highest to lowest). Please note the products and Star Ratings displayed are based on a couple travelling to the USA aged under 70.
What types of travel insurance does CHI Travel Insurance offer?
CHI offers both domestic and international travel insurance, with specialised policies for annual travellers, seniors, cruisers and skiers. It has four main policies available including a Top Tier, Mid-Tier, Basic Tier and Budget Tier, to suit a wide range of funds.
If you’re unsure as to which kind of travel insurance is most appropriate for you, or would like to better understand the differences between the different types of cover, check out our comprehensive guide on travel insurance.
What does CHI Travel Insurance’s international travel insurance cover?
CHI’s Top International Comprehensive policy will cover you for:
- Medical cover: CHI Top International has unlimited medical, dental and hospital cover; however, you must provide a medical practitioner’s report confirming you’re unfit to travel.
- Loss/theft of personal items: CHI also covers the loss or theft of personal items, including trip delays or damage. It will pay up to $8,000 for various different items such as electronic equipment.
- Travel delays/cancellation: CHI does cover cancellation or travel delays depending on the level of cover chosen. The comprehensive policy has unlimited additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
- Rental car excess: If, as a result of an unexpected event, the rental vehicle you have hired is stolen or damaged during your journey, CHI Comprehensive will reimburse you for any non-refundable excess payable to the rental vehicle company of up to $3,000.
- 24/7 assistance: CHI Travel’s emergency worldwide assistance team is available 24 hours a day via phone.
- Lost or stolen documents: CHI Travel Insurance will cover the cost involved in replacing important documents that have been lost or stolen.
Please note that exclusions may apply. For example, your medical cover may not pay claims for medical or dental treatment received in Australia, and it will only cover losses related pregnancy up to and including the twentieth week. Another example of an exclusion is not being covered for any delays caused by a natural disaster occurring before the start date of your insurance.
For more details about what is and isn’t covered, check out the Product Disclosure Statement on CHI’s website.
CHI Travel Insurance FAQs
Yes, CHI’s comprehensive policy has unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses under the following circumstances:
- You need medical assistance for an unexpected illness
- You’re seriously injured in an accident
- You need to be evacuated for an unexpected injury
As always, various conditions and exclusions will apply. It’s highly unlikely that you will be covered if the injury you suffer is classified as a ‘pre-existing condition’, for example.
For more information on whether you’re covered or not, read CHI Travel Insurance’s Product Disclosure Statement.
Yes, CHI will cover you up to a certain amount for replacing or reimbursing luggage and personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged while travelling.
Under CHI’s comprehensive policy, up to $8,000 worth of your belongings will be covered. CHI will also cover:
- The cost of essential medication if its lost or destroyed
- Up to $750 per item for essential items
- $3,000 per item for laptops, tablets, cameras, etc.
Again, there are exclusions that come with CHI Travel Insurance’s policies. For personal items and jewellery, you must specify them before applying, and all items must be approved by CHI; otherwise they will not be covered. Ensure you check the PDS to find out more about what items and luggage are and aren’t covered.
If you’re not sure what to do when your luggage goes missing, check out our guide on travel mishaps and how to avoid them.
Yes, CHI Travel Insurance will cover up to a certain amount for lost deposits and cancellation fees for pre-paid travel arrangements due to unforeseen circumstances outside the traveller’s control on a policy.
Depending on the policy you decide to take out, you can receive cover if your journey was cancelled or delayed, with additional travel and accommodation due to strikes, natural disasters, riots or other severe weather conditions.
Read the Product Disclosure Statement for more information on the various exclusions that may apply.
You can purchase a CHI Travel Insurance policy by first comparing your options with Canstar and then generating a quote online. All you need to list is your personal details (age, length of trip, address, etc.), your pre-existing conditions and your choice of cover:
You can lodge a claim with CHI Travel Insurance by logging onto its quick and easy claims portal. Make sure you have the following documents ready:
- Policy number
- Personal details
- Supporting documentation (flight details, itinerary, receipts etc.)
- Bank account details
From there, it should take between 15 and 30 minutes to submit your claim. CHI also has an emergency 24/7 assistance line. For emergencies within Australia, call 1800 010 075. For emergencies from overseas, call +617 3305 7499.
CHI Travel Insurance specialises in domestic and international travel insurance for Australians. Its policies are underwritten by Allianz Australia and it strives to provide affordable and effective travel insurance for its members.