Medibank Travel Insurance
Information correct at 21/09/16.
“Making a big deal over a little time off: All part of Generation Better.”
Policy Options: What Medibank travel insurance covers
The inclusions below represent a selection of what is covered. Additional conditions may apply to different features. CANSTAR is not making any suggestion or recommendation to you about this product. Please ensure that you read the product disclosure statement to determine all the current policy options and inclusions for the product you are considering.
Domestic & International Comprehensive Policy
- Personal liability: Covers up to $5 million.
- Overseas hospital: Unlimited cover
- Overseas dental: Unlimited cover.
- Medical evacuation/repatriation: Unlimited cover
- Travel delay: Covered up to $2,000 per adult.
- Cancellation fee: Unlimited cover.
- Luggage/baggage and personal effects: Covers up to $8,000 (per adult). Sublimits apply for different types of personal items, e.g. covers up to $3,000 for laptops.
- Delayed luggage: Covers up to $750.
- Loss of travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques: Covers up to $5,000 (per adult).
- Rental vehicle excess: Covers up to $4,000.
- Accidental death: Covers up to $25,000.
- Permanent disability: Covers up to $25,000.
- Loss of income: Covers up to $10,000.
- Optional extras at additional cost: Motorcycle or moped riding; snow skiing, snowboarding, or snow-mobile riding.
- 24-hour helpline.
- Excess: Choice of excess applies for International Policy. Excess of $50 applies for Domestic Policy.
Annual Multi-Trip Policy
- Designed for frequent travellers.
- Comprehensive cover for 12 months, for trips up to 60 days long (international) or 30 days long (domestic).
- Covers international and domestic travel.
About Medibank: Why choose Medibank
Medibank was founded in 1976, and in 2016 they celebrate their 40th birthday as an insurance provider.
At the time of writing, Medibank health insurance members receive a 10% discount on Medibank travel insurance premiums. As of 2016, Medibank is continuing their ongoing promotion, where travel insurance customers receive a free Global Roaming SIM Card.
Medibank members also receive some other great benefits:
- Mobile Apps: Medibank members can use the Medibank Mobile App to make claims and find a healthcare provider near them, Symptom Checker to find possible causes for their symptoms, and Energy Balancer to track their daily eating and exercise decisions and get easy-to-understand advice.
- Better Health: Health information guides to help you eat healthy, get active, and maintain your well-being. At the time of writing, Medibank members collect 10,000 flybuys points when they reach 10,000 steps in one day with a linked Fitbit device, and collect triple flybuys points when they buy fresh fruit and veges and frozen veges at Coles supermarkets.
- Mi Health: Mi Health support services include 24/7 Medibank nurse helpline for medical advice (call 1800 Mi Health or 1800 644 325), mobile health apps to keep you on track, and the Online Health Hub for online coaching programs.
- GymBetter: Medibank members with hospital and extras cover get a 25% discount off each visit to any of the 600 gyms in the GymBetter Australia-wide network. You get flexible, pay-as-you-go access to gyms near you, and all the tips in the GymBetter app for Apple or Android. See how John and Jen do gym better on the Medibank YouTube channel.
- Magazine: Delicious, healthy-eating recipes from the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation, like this one for vegetable samosas for the lunchbox. Their practical tips for healthy eating include “7 things better than an afternoon sugar hit” and “7 things better than a morning coffee“.
How Medibank supports the community
- Medibank Community Fund: Established in 2010, this fund distributes 1% (approximately $3 million per year) of Medibank’s pre-tax profit to community funding grants, health research projects, and investment in Indigenous health and well-being.
- Promoting fit and active living: Medibank is a major sponsor of the Australian Open (check out the hilarious WEPLAY video highlights), the Melbourne Marathon (hear from everyday Melbournites on “Why I Run“), Little Athletics Queensland, Wave Warriors Junior Surfing Challenge, Icehouse Ice Skating Rink, and City to Surf Perth.
How Medibank supports the environment
- Committed to reducing own carbon footprint by setting annual carbon reduction targets, and only working with and supporting organisations that share this commitment.
- Partnering with initiatives to protect the environment, such as 202020 Vision to achieve a 20% increase in green space in Australia’s urban areas by 2020.