GMHBA Health Insurance
“Works for members, not shareholders.”
Policy Options: What GMHBA health insurance covers
The inclusions below represent a selection of what is covered. Additional conditions may apply to different features. CANSTAR is not making any suggestion or recommendation to you about this product. Please ensure that you read the product disclosure statement to determine all the current policy options and inclusions for the product you are considering.
Hospital Only Policy
All Hospital policies include varying levels of cover for the following:
- Hospital accommodation
- Operating theatre fees and charges
- Accidental injury (sustained after joining)
- Appendix removal
- Cardiac heart-related treatments
- Joint reconstructions, investigations, and replacements
- Psychiatric treatment
- Rehabilitation treatment
- Tonsils and adenoids removal
- Surgically implanted prostheses
- Eye surgery (cataracts, corneal lenses)
- Pregnancy related services (including childbirth)
- Assisted reproductive services (IVF)
- All other in-hospital services where a Medicare benefit is available
Hospital levels at a higher level also cover the following:
- Obesity and weight loss surgery including gastric banding
Waiting periods for hospital services:
- Accidental injury: No waiting period
- Haemodialysis: 2 months, 12 months if pre-existing condition, with 24 months (2 years) benefit limitation period
- Obstetrics and maternity: 12 months
- Pre-existing conditions: 12 months
- All other hospital services: 2 months
Levels of cover:
Premiums listed are for singles. Compare health insurance on our website for a GMHBA quote specific to your situation.
- Bronze Hospital:
Public hospital cover only
- Silver Hospital:
Medium level hospital cover, but covers accommodation in public and private hospitals
- Gold Hospital:
Medium level hospital cover.
Extras Only Policy
Levels of Extras Only cover:
- Bronze Extras:
Basic level extras cover.
55% back or receive up to set limits on some extras: general dental, optical, physiotherapy, pharmacy, occupational therapy, pressure garments, orthopaedics, preventative health programs.
- Silver Extras:
Medium level extras cover.
65% back or receive up to set limits on most extras: general dental, major dental, optical, physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy, natural therapies, remedial massage, ambulance services, psychology, pharmacy, dietary, audiology and hearing aids, eye therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, podiatry, nursing care, prostheses, health aids and appliances, orthotics, pressure garments, orthopaedics, preventative health programs.
- Gold Extras:
Top level extras cover.
75% back or receive up to set limits on most extras: general dental, major dental, optical, physiotherapy, exercise physiology, chiropractic, osteopathy, natural therapies, remedial massage, ambulance services, psychology, pharmacy, dietary, audiology and hearing aids, postnatal and antenatal classes, eye therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, podiatry, nursing care, prostheses, health aids and appliances, orthotics, pressure garments, orthopaedics, weight loss program, preventative health programs.
Waiting periods for extras services:
- Most extras services: 2 months
- Optical: 6 months
- Medical aids: 6 months
- Major dental: 12 months
- Health appliances: 12 months
Hospital and Extras Policy (Packaged Cover)
All Extras Only policies can be added to any Hospital Only policy to create a packaged cover solution to meet your needs. Below are listed the pre-packaged cover options created by GMHBA: FIT Packages.
Hospital and Extras cover packages:
- FIT Ultra Package:
High level hospital and extras cover.
- FIT Top Package:
High level hospital and extras cover.
- FIT Standard Package:
Medium level hospital and extras cover, excluding obstetrics.
- FIT Entry Package:
Basic level hospital and extras cover.
Overseas Visitors (working and tourist holiday visa) and International Students (OSHC health insurance)
- Hospital Only cover is provided by Frank Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC), a brand provided by GMHBA Limited.
- GMHBA offers Ambulance Cover in all states and territories in Australia that do not provide free ambulance services. For most regions, this means GMHBA will refund to you the cost of a subscription to your region’s ambulance services. In other regions, GMHBA will cover the charge of ambulance services up to certain limits.
- Prices vary by region.
About GMHBA: Why choose GMHBA
GMHBA was founded in 1934 in Geelong by a group of workers from the Australian Cement Company who were concerned about how their families would afford to pay for healthcare. GMHBA now provides health insurance to more than 260,000 Australians, according to their 2015 annual report.
GMHBA is one of the 15 not-for-profit Members Own Health Funds in Australia, meaning profits are returned to members in the form of cheaper premiums. According to their 2015 annual report, 87 cents in every dollar of premiums paid was returned to members and the wider community through services, volunteer hours, sponsorship, and other charitable contributions.
GMHBA members get some great benefits:
- GMHBA Eye Care Practices: GMHBA members get 20% off on glasses and eye tests at GMHBA eye care centres. Find a centre near you.
- Fitness programs: 6 week fitness and yoga sessions throughout the year in Geelong for members to help you get active and feel great.
- Referral benefit: GMHBA members who refer a friend get $150 cash back at the time of writing.
How GMHBA supports the community
- Charitable contributions: Employees donate over $30,000 per year through the Give Where You Live workplace giving program.
- Community grants: GMHBA Healthy Community Grants Program.
- Healthy seminar series: Community education to improve health and well-being.
- Food relief: GMHBA Community Harvest rooftop vegetable garden run by employees to provide vegetables for local food relief organisation Christ Church Community Meals Program.
- Swimming: Naming sponsor of GMHBA Lorne Pier to Pub & Mountain to Surf.
- Running: Naming sponsor of GMHBA Great Ocean Road Marathon; sponsor of Run Geelong & Run Ballarat.
- Project Pamper: Caring for women touched by cancer with pamper evenings.
Written by: TJ Ryan